Weekly "Ref's for Bills game" thread

Just Jack

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW.....One of the radio guys (Might have been Ben Maler ?? dont remember for sure) was saying that there is "intel" out there on officiating crews. Teams will look at it and see if there is any tendencies about how any given crew calls games. I have no idea if this is true or just more baloney but an interesting nugget none-the-less.

I could see this being true. in the day of data being so easy to obtain. I could see a team studying a crew and seeing they have a high rate of PI calls but not as many defensive holdings, for example. You can jam your guy at the line for longer but hands off when the ball is in the air type of thing.

Lord knows every crew is calling the hands to the face by linemen this year. I saw that call more times last week then i did all of last year it seemed.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

FWIW.....One of the radio guys (Might have been Ben Maler ?? dont remember for sure) was saying that there is "intel" out there on officiating crews. Teams will look at it and see if there is any tendencies about how any given crew calls games. I have no idea if this is true or just more baloney but an interesting nugget none-the-less.

I also can see this being true. Different sport but I ref soccer and the guys I ref with certainly have tendencies. Whether it is quick with a whistle, quick with a card, or the opposite. This can surely be very useful information for teams.

I'm sure it's true. Game film must include all the ref calls.

Inside Slant: Week 2 NFL officiating trends: http://espn.go.com/b...iciating-trends

Procedural tweaks and a personnel overhaul bring us a fresh level of NFL officiating uncertainty in 2014. Three new referees and a total of 13 first-year officials made their regular-season debuts in Week 1, yet another reason why it makes sense to track their calls and search for trends using the vast trove of data available from ESPN Stats & Information.

We'll get to the volume of penalty calls in a moment; they were only slightly higher than Week 1 of 2013. For now, however, I thought we would examine how each referee crew called the two most notable points of emphasis penalties last weekend. Numbers from any one week could be anomalies, but over time, we can start to get a feel for how a crew might call its upcoming game.

The NFL doesn't announce crew assignments ahead of time, but Football Zebras does a reliable job of pulling together all of the information by week's end if you want to match up these figures with the assigned referee for your favorite team's game.

Chargers at Bills

Referee: John Parry (132)

Umpire: Mark Pellis (131)

Head Linesman: Derick Bowers (74)

Line Judge: Julian Mapp (10)

Field Judge: Jon Lucivansky (89)

Side Judge: Joe Larrew (73)

Back Judge: Perry Paganelli (46)

SAVE THIS CREW... if they pull what they did in the game again by calling timely penalties against us and allowing the Chargers to hold, something is surely amiss.

• 2 weeks later...

This week, at Detroit, Hittner will be there...

Referee: Craig Wrolstad (4)

Umpire: Roy Ellison (81)

Head Linesman: Mark Hittner (28)

Line Judge: Tim Podraza (47)

Field Judge: Steve Zimmer (33)

Side Judge: Jeff Lamberth (21)

Back Judge: Lee Dyer (27)

New England at Bills crew, who will be all buying new cars Monday if the Pats* win....

Referee: Walt Coleman (65)

Umpire: Bill Schuster (129)

Head Linesman: Jerry Bergman (91)

Line Judge: Mike Spanier (90)

Field Judge: Greg Gautreaux (80)

Side Judge: Michael Banks (72)

Back Judge: Rich Martinez (39)