Sabres Fans - What can we expect from Pegula?

Virgil

I know there are other threads about him winning the bid and being happy they are staying in Buffalo.

As we've seen with Jerry Jones and other owners, the owner can absolutely shape the atmosphere of a team. I'm not a hockey or Sabres fan. For those of you who are, what kind of owner should we expect?

Is he going to try to shake things up just to put his stamp on it? For example, changing the uniforms, hiking ticket prices, selling the stadium naming rights, etcl...

Just curious

As has been said in a number of other threads, Pegula initially threw a lot of money at the Sabres, in the hopes that it'd translate into wins. Think Villie Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. He then doubled down on Darcy only to find out that he was one of the problems. The whole LaFontaine thing was pretty bizarre too.

I think he realized his mistakes and has them on the right path. Build through the draft, get a good group of core players, pay them if they're good. Supplement that with some solid FA signings once that core is together. I've been happy with Murray so far and I think he was a good choice for GM.

With respect to the Bills... I think he leaves the current administration in place to the end of the season. I think Russ is canned no matter what, but Marrone/Whaley's jobs lie with Manuel. I think Terry sticks with them if Manuel demonstrates solid consistency throughout the season. Otherwise I see him cleaning house and starting fresh.

He'll gut the team and start over from scratch, willy nilly hiring a bunch of his own cronies to run the Bills which will backfire end in disappointment and promises of a rebuild with a new GM.

Seriously tho, I wonder if he's tight with Bill Cowher, being a Pennsylvania guy. I'm sure he's got some of his own guys he'd like to bring in. Hopefully he learned from the Sabres experience that you can't build a championship team overnight by over paying for a few high priced FA's.

When he took over the Sabres, the gave the existing regime (even after a year of failure) another chance to turn the thing around and prove themselves. He was patient with them but ultimately the writing was on the wall. With the Bills on the upswing, I would think he gives the GM and head coach at least this season and next to take this team to the playoffs and then go from there. He won't fire anybody just to bring in his own guys, he'll give these guys a chance before making any moves.

In other words, Pegula had a plan, it didn't work. Then he came up with another plan. It didn't work. Now, there's a whole new plan and everyone is sure that this one has to work! WIley Coyote? Ah yes. Genius. Super genius.

Hope he has a real world plan for the Bills. It should be no more difficult than this: find the best coach, QB, and personnel man/men/women money can buy and follow the Patriot's blueprint. The end

In other words, Pegula had a plan, it didn't work. Then he came up with another plan. It didn't work. Now, there's a whole new plan and everyone is sure that this one has to work! WIley Coyote? Ah yes. Genius. Super genius.

Would you rather he stubbornly stick to the plan that's not working? Hopefully his experience with owning the Sabres has taught him a thing or two and he can take some shortcuts along the learning curve with the Bills.

He'll gut the team and start over from scratch, willy nilly hiring a bunch of his own cronies to run the Bills which will backfire end in disappointment and promises of a rebuild with a new GM.

Seriously tho, I wonder if he's tight with Bill Cowher, being a Pennsylvania guy. I'm sure he's got some of his own guys he'd like to bring in. Hopefully he learned from the Sabres experience that you can't build a championship team overnight by over paying for a few high priced FA's.

When he took over the Sabres, the gave the existing regime (even after a year of failure) another chance to turn the thing around and prove themselves. He was patient with them but ultimately the writing was on the wall. With the Bills on the upswing, I would think he gives the GM and head coach at least this season and next to take this team to the playoffs and then go from there. He won't fire anybody just to bring in his own guys, he'll give these guys a chance before making any moves.

Dude, Bill Cowher is never coaching again. I just don't understand why people insist on bringing his name up over and over and over again. He's done, he's happy, he ain't coaching again. And honestly, who even really wants him? He's been out of the game for almost 10 years now, it took him 14 years to win a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh when he had extremely talented teams (especially D and running games) every single season.

He and his wife will go out of their way to make the players and their families feel at home. One thing I hear the Sabres players say is he treats them with the utmost respect. He will try his hardest to make sure players want to play for the Bills and stay playing for the Bills.

The players will love playing here. He and Kim take the time to know the families and know how to make them feel appreciated.

Steve Ott wanted to come back here. Moulson did.

These are big deals. You know that recent poll of players that had Bills 2nd to last of desired places to play? Those days are gone. Players will now see a legit solid top to bottom organization and want to come here.

It only took Terry time to get it right with the Sabres because number 1 this was new territory for him (owning a sports team). And number 2 I think he really liked and respected Lindy. We're going to get an owner that's learned from his mistakes and will surround himself with good people. Not yes men. Does Tim Murray look like a yes man to you.

Such a great day.

has beens ... Edited by 3putt

Expect more patience than you might expect. Russ Brandon may be the most likely casualty, as at the top Pegula has his own team. With the Sabres acquisition, Peg said goodbye to Larry Quinn but kept the hockey people in place for at least a year longer than fans wanted. If form holds true, don't expect a lot of football people to be sent packing from Whaley down for at least another year, maybe two, regardless of the on-field performance.

Expect more patience than you might expect. Russ Brandon may be the most likely casualty, as at the top Pegula has his own team. With the Sabres acquisition, Peg said goodbye to Larry Quinn but kept the hockey people in place for at least a year longer than fans wanted. If form holds true, don't expect a lot of football people to be sent packing from Whaley down for at least another year, maybe two, regardless of the on-field performance.

Not a chance Brandon goes. Unlike Larry Quinn Russ is good at his job.

1] It should be slightly if not significantly easier for the Bills to lure and sign Free Agents. There will be no financial restrictions except for the salary cap, Terry and Kim personally will be involved and make the free agents and their wives and families (NOT to be underestimated) impressed by their "family" attitude. The scouting department will likely have more, better paid scouts which may pay dividends down the line.

2] Like the scouting department above, they will put some money into things that are not covered by the salary cap, like coaches and amenities at the facilities and other stuff.

3] Expect plans for a new stadium downtown announced fairly soon, perhaps in the 800-850m range.

4] Pegula doesn't like to say a lot on camera, and this may irk some fans, but to me it's not anything people should be concerned about.

5] The word around the league to other free agents and players about playing in Buffalo for the Pegulas, again a lot because of Kim, will increase the status of the Bills.

1] It should be slightly if not significantly easier for the Bills to lure and sign Free Agents. There will be no financial restrictions except for the salary cap, Terry and Kim personally will be involved and make the free agents and their wives and families (NOT to be underestimated) impressed by their "family" attitude. The scouting department will likely have more, better paid scouts which may pay dividends down the line.

2] Like the scouting department above, they will put some money into things that are not covered by the salary cap, like coaches and amenities at the facilities and other stuff.

3] Expect plans for a new stadium downtown announced fairly soon, perhaps in the 800-850m range.

4] Pegula doesn't like to say a lot on camera, and this may irk some fans, but to me it's not anything people should be concerned about.

5] The word around the league to other free agents and players about playing in Buffalo for the Pegulas, again a lot because of Kim, will increase the status of the Bills.

2 being the biggest part of what we'll see that is different than if someone else won the bid.

Do enough of the little things right and eventually the big things should be done right as well. (Haven't seen that to fruition w/ the Sabres yet, but do expect them to perennially be strong after 1-2 more bad years. The foundation is getting built.)

I'd also expect them to do due dilligence on Brandon - Whaley - Marrone. And I expect them to be given a chance under the new ownership (IMHO they've earned a chance to show the new bosses what they can do), but if any of the 3 don't have a plan and they don't perform, they'll be gone. I am very much so looking forward to Littman and Overdorf bowing out of the picture.