Week 2 predictions: Squish the Fish

YoloinOhio

I read the Boston Globe article, which was pretty interesting: http://www.bostonglo...TccI/story.html

I think it was pasted in the 'did anyone watch' thread.

My question for the Xs-and-Os crowd (I sit at a different table in the cafeteria, to be sure): what does the 5-2 defensive front mean for our gameplan? Does that pose any special problems for the OL or O generally? How do our strengths allow us to overcome those problems?

Thanks and I'll take my answer off the air.

kj

Just my take:

I'm pretty sure a 5-2 would abuse our sub-par guards because the DL lines up over a player, not a gap. This means they can dictate to the OL by choosing which gap they go to on any given play - and if I'm them, I'm picking on our guards. A 5-2 works best with a real beast on the nose who can tie up both Woods and a guard.

The DEs line up on TEs so they don't have to worry about which side is the strong side pre-snap. TEs can have a difficult time getting into a route with a DE leaning on them. Speaking of pass plays, 5-2 CBs will generally be in man coverage, the safeties in zone.

A 5-2 can be beaten with Iso runs - especially since Summers is more than capable of winning a 1-on-1 with a LB. If they stunt a lot they will eat up the Iso, so look for the Bills to run some counters to create running lanes for the RBs.

Outside of that, look for WR & RB screens, passes to the middle where the 5-2 usually leaves a hole (not EJ's forte, esp if Chandler can't get off the line and into a route with regularity), slants, and draw plays, and a lot of play action passes to try to get the CBs to pause and draw the safeties up, especially when throwing deeper balls.

I don't claim to be a 5-2 expert but hopefully this will give you a couple things to keep an eye on.

Edited by Campy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not get too excited for next weeks game. The Fins showed a new backbone and beat the patriots down. Moreno is going to be tough and somehow Tannehil realized he's an NFL QB and played like it. I hope the team keeps up the focus in practice this week. This is new ground for both us and them performing so well. Don't get cocky.

Bills: 27

Fins: 20

I read the Boston Globe article, which was pretty interesting: http://www.bostonglo...TccI/story.html

I think it was pasted in the 'did anyone watch' thread.

My question for the Xs-and-Os crowd (I sit at a different table in the cafeteria, to be sure): what does the 5-2 defensive front mean for our gameplan? Does that pose any special problems for the OL or O generally? How do our strengths allow us to overcome those problems?

Thanks and I'll take my answer off the air.

kj

Hmmm...sounds like Tom Brady Sucked, which meets his definition of when he will retire... :beer:

Just my take:

I'm pretty sure a 5-2 would abuse our sub-par guards because the DL lines up over a player, not a gap. This means they can dictate to the OL by choosing which gap they go to on any given play - and if I'm them, I'm picking on our guards. A 5-2 works best with a real beast on the nose who can tie up both Woods and a guard.

The DEs line up on TEs so they don't have to worry about which side is the strong side pre-snap. TEs can have a difficult time getting into a route with a DE leaning on them. Speaking of pass plays, 5-2 CBs will generally be in man coverage, the safeties in zone.

A 5-2 can be beaten with Iso runs - especially since Summers is more than capable of winning a 1-on-1 with a LB. If they stunt a lot they will eat up the Iso, so look for the Bills to run some counters to create running lanes for the RBs.

Outside of that, look for WR & RB screens, passes to the middle where the 5-2 usually leaves a hole (not EJ's forte, esp if Chandler can't get off the line and into a route with regularity), slants, and draw plays, and a lot of play action passes to try to get the CBs to pause and draw the safeties up, especially when throwing deeper balls.

I don't claim to be a 5-2 expert but hopefully this will give you a couple things to keep an eye on.

Thanks!

kj

Much will depend on how the OL and EJ handle pressure. This will be a different week and I doubt EJ has the type of clean pocket he so enjoyed against the Bears. On O, the game plan needs to be different from the one against the Bears. Continue huddling, long drives will help wear down their pass rush. This would be a great week to perfect the screen.

Dolphins 28

Bills 16

I imagine you guys get the run game going early, but in the second half Wake, Vernon, Starks, and Mitchell will prove too much to handle for the oline.

Oh and I don't want to forget our new star Chris McCain.

Yeah, no.

The Ralph is going to be ON FIRE.

Tannehill's ears will bleed. He will leave the the stadium with a bloody uniform.

You think he struggled in week 16 last year? That was a 103 yards from scrimmage cake walk compared to the hellish terror he has to look forward to this week.

Yeah, no.

Tannehill's ears will bleed. He will leave the the stadium with a bloody uniform.

You think he struggled in week 16 last year? That was a 103 yards from scrimmage cake walk compared to the hellish terror he has to look forward to this week.

Our Oline is a completely different unit than last years. You guys will no doubt get more pressure than the atrocious Patsies, but James and Albert at OT are rock solid, and our interior line is really gelling, so I wouldn't expect the same amount of pressure as last year.

Add to that a completely revampled offensive scheme, the Bills aren't going to be able to gameplan for the same team they whooped last year.

Honestly I'm just grateful Thad "Dolphin Killer" Lewis is off your squad.

I would like to think that the Bears game was the watershed moment for this franchise, and that the entire team--including EJ-- took a huge leap forward, to the point where they know how to win a close one, then they will learn how to take care of business at home, and they just keep getting better each week.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they followed up the Bears game with just a throttling of the Dolphins--clicking on all cylindars? Watkins goes nuts; EJ just lets it rip downfield; the run defense dominates; TO's are forced; ST continues to shine.

Couldn't you just imagine a Bills 31-13 beat-down?

The Dolphins are walking into a buzzsaw this week. Truly I would hate to be the dolphins this week.

Home Opener

Honoring Ralph

Alumni Day

Jim Kelly's health

New Owners announcing team will stay in Buffalo.

The sound barrier might break if Tannehill is sacked once. If the shout song is played it will be louder than when we beat the Pats* a few years ago. I have never been more excited to go to a game than this week. It will be an historic day

Our Oline is a completely different unit than last years. You guys will no doubt get more pressure than the atrocious Patsies, but James and Albert at OT are rock solid, and our interior line is really gelling, so I wouldn't expect the same amount of pressure as last year.

Add to that a completely revampled offensive scheme, the Bills aren't going to be able to gameplan for the same team they whooped last year.

Honestly I'm just grateful Thad "Dolphin Killer" Lewis is off your squad.

Okay, buddy. Yeah, your guys really held up against the formidable Pats* D. Cool.

We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, no.

Yes, yes and YES!

Bills 24

Miami 14

One of the Bills scores will be defensive TD

CJ takes the opening KO 100 yds for score. The 12 th man will go CRAZY and will F with Miami's O the rest of the game.

EJ will throw for over 250 yds.

Woods becomes the go to guy.

Mike Williams will score.

Ralph will block a game tyingkick with a sudden wind gust of the lake.

Bills win 21 - 18

Okay, buddy. Yeah, your guys really held up against the formidable Pats* D. Cool.

We'll see how it goes.

For Tanne to only be sacked once last week was pretty much a miracle for us Dolphins fans, so I'll take it against any D line in this league, even the pathetic showing the pats had to offer.

I am just saying, this is a different team than I am used to watching over the last decade or so. Bills seem revamped as well, but the Phins aren't a team to look past -- even with the Bills recent success against us.