Buffalo News Today

Casey D

It's great getting in the mode for opening day. Bucky's got a long article on NFL players and drug addiction and life expectancy being 54 years for NFL players. Sullivan has Marrone getting fired early in the season because the Bills are imploding. Stories are OK I guess, but I question the timing. It is all so depressing perhaps we should ban football, at least in Buffalo. I think I need to go take my medication... :-)

Carucci will lighten things up when he arrives in town. Truthfully, I've stopped reading Sully.

But the bottom line, as always, is that the Bills need to start winning. Can't expect the local rag to print rainbows and sunshine for what has been a 14-year train wreck.

The 14 year drought, coupled with the ever growing self consciousness in Buffalo, means that we might be in for a vicious cycle.

I'm starting to wonder if literally no one can win here. The media and fans are so quick to get negative with this team. The leash gets shorter and shorter. Each hire, each draft pick get increasingly less time to prove themselves.

Even though I have faith...14 went by pretty quick. Pretty soon it could be 15. Then 20 and so forth.

Vicious cycle.

Carucci will lighten things up when he arrives in town. Truthfully, I've stopped reading Sully.

But the bottom line, as always, is that the Bills need to start winning. Can't expect the local rag to print rainbows and sunshine for what has been a 14-year train wreck.

But I guess a guarded optimism is not to be expected from the Buffalo News folks. The sully article was just plain stupid.

The 14 year drought, coupled with the ever growing self consciousness in Buffalo, means that we might be in for a vicious cycle.

I'm starting to wonder if literally no one can win here. The media and fans are so quick to get negative with this team. The leash gets shorter and shorter. Each hire, each draft pick get increasingly less time to prove themselves.

Even though I have faith...14 went by pretty quick. Pretty soon it could be 15. Then 20 and so forth.

Vicious cycle.

Which Bills coach of the last 14 years did not get sufficient time to prove himself? Which one was a genius in waiting, if only OBD (and the silly fans, of course) had been patient? Which ones have gone on to head coaching success with other teams?

Uncertainty breeds discontent. Currently there is ncertainty about ownership, uncertainty about EJ, uncertainty about Sammy's health, uncertainty about Gilmore, uncertainty about Marrone, uncertainty about the Bills' front office and even uncertainty about the Bills staying in Buffalo. I'm surprised that things aren't even worse right now. But I do think that we will see things settle down once new ownership is in place. Success will, of course, depend on how well they run the team - and it will take some luck - but I do see things changing for the better at that point. It will take time, but I see a turnaround after a bottoming out this year.

Vicious cycle.

The ball hasn't even kicked off on the season and the optimists are already feeling sorry for themselves. :doh:

The Bills have EARNED every bit of their criticism and then some.

They have been losing for so long that people will not even see winning coming when it eventually does so why people worry about what the media says I simply can't understand.

They aren't the cheering section, they are just calling it as they see it and on the surface it looks like they had a bad offseason(lost their most decorated player in Byrd, lost their star LB to injury, 2 of their 4 "modest" free agent signings went bust before the season even started, they lost their defensive coordinator who was their best coach and architect of their exciting and disruptive D, their young QB has looked terrible in the preseason and the guy they traded away their 2015 #1 pick for has been injured and figures to be ineffective if that QB can't get him the ball).

With ALL OF THAT BEING SAID..........they had the talent to be a solid playoff team LAST year and they still have plenty of talent to do it this year.

For perspective on how things can turn around in the NFL nowadays just look at the NFC West.

Nobody saw the Niners, Seahawks or Cardinals coming when they made their leaps in recent seasons and they were probably 3 of the top 5 teams in the NFL by the end of last year. If you had taken a poll 5 years ago I am sure most pundits would have thought that the Rams and high pedigree QB Sam Bradford were eventually going to become the team to beat in that division.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

The ball hasn't even kicked off on the season and the optimists are already feeling sorry for themselves. :doh:

The Bills have EARNED every bit of their criticism and then some.

They have been losing for so long that people will not even see winning coming when it eventually does so why people worry about what the media says I simply can't understand.

They aren't the cheering section, they are just calling it as they see it and on the surface it looks like they had a bad offseason(lost their most decorated player in Byrd, lost their star LB to injury, 2 of their 4 "modest" free agent signings went bust before the season even started, they lost their defensive coordinator who was their best coach and architect of their exciting and disruptive D, their young QB has looked terrible in the preseason and the guy they traded away their 2015 #1 pick for has been injured and figures to be ineffective if that QB can't get him the ball).

With ALL OF THAT BEING SAID..........they had the talent to be a solid playoff team LAST year and they still have plenty of talent to do it this year.

For perspective on how things can turn around in the NFL nowadays just look at the NFC West.

Nobody saw the Niners, Seahawks or Cardinals coming when they made their leaps in recent seasons and they were probably 3 of the top 5 teams in the NFL by the end of last year. If you had taken a poll 5 years ago I am sure most pundits would have thought that the Rams and high pedigree QB Sam Bradford were eventually going to become the team to beat in that division.

You continually choose to look at everything through a negative scope. You're so remarkably jaded, that you're trying to make me feel guilty for rooting for the Bills and having hope.

Why are you here?

Why are you here?

Perspective.

Ever growing consciousness? "in for a vicious cycle"?

That's just woe-is-me excuse-making for losing.

A new deep-pocketed owner with a long term view/committment to winning is all that this team needs to become a consistently competitive franchise.

That is coming.

In the meantime, the team has talent and the division and conference are as weak as they've been in a very long time.

There will be plenty of time to analyze and figure out what went wrong, and what to do about it later, after (and if) the team loses a couple more games than it wins. I think it's crazy to be anything but excited on opening day before the game starts! I agree the negative articles are a head-scratcher.

I don't think the Chief will do much better than the Bills this year, and I think most of the fans expect less success than last year, but it's 180 degrees different here in Kansas City!

It's great getting in the mode for opening day. Bucky's got a long article on NFL players and drug addiction and life expectancy being 54 years for NFL players. Sullivan has Marrone getting fired early in the season because the Bills are imploding. Stories are OK I guess, but I question the timing. It is all so depressing perhaps we should ban football, at least in Buffalo. I think I need to go take my medication... :-)

the snooze articles are predictable. So, is the cable dump known as ESPN. In almost two hours they have talked about every team and game so far but the Bills/Bears. maybe when i had the dogs out in the yard for 3 minutes they mentioned them. but, As we all know. They simply need to win, win consistently, win big at times, and win often. because otherwise we are forced to listen about Bradys calf, cam newton, Eli, Peyton Big Ben and of course over in raider land Carr. Who actually looked pretty darn good in pre season. But the bIlls predictably passed in the draft on him. Manuel needs to bring it big time today and the whole season. Otherwise it is a media shut out. Rodaks slant will rule the day. It will be year 15 of pain.

Bills 30 Bears 6

The team that has quietly risen up from obscurity to being a highly competitive team is Arizona (as you noted). They hired a good coach, stabilized the qb position and upgraded their OL.

To be candid I don't believe that the Bills have a playoff caliber team. A lot of attention has been focused on the qb position but I also have significant concerns with the OL.

What I want out of this season is to know for sure whether EJ is capable of being a franchise qb. Regardless what the team's record is that is the question that needs to be answered. If he steadily gets better then I will be fine with that.

If an organization knows what it is doing it can turn things around in three years. Although Pete Carrol is a lightethening rod as a HC he and his front office have done an incredible job in building a strong roster in a releatively short period of time.

Badolbeeez, you make great points and I always like your posts.

Talking about the NFC West, I had the Bills making the playoffs that year strictly BECAUSE they were playing the West, and I had em 3-1 in this match ups.

Why I make a living handicapping!

Perspective.

Ever growing consciousness? "in for a vicious cycle"?

That's just woe-is-me excuse-making for losing.

A new deep-pocketed owner with a long term view/committment to winning is all that this team needs to become a consistently competitive franchise.

That is coming.

In the meantime, the team has talent and the division and conference are as weak as they've been in a very long time.

Disagree to an extent about the division. I think the Jets will surprise people (local observers here say that Geno is turning a corner) and the Pats are better now than they were last season. As for the Dolphins, I don't know. It come downs to Tannehill, who I think may turn out to be pretty good. As for the rest of the AFC, I don't know.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hopefully Carucci is as biased towards the Bills as he was when working for the Browns. It was outright comical listening to Vic on Sirius NFL Radio and have him so obvious about his 'bro-mance" for the Browns. I called in the weekend after the Bills - Browns on Thursday night and he was.........just wow. Oh the Browns this and that, oh and excuse me, let me cash my Browns check. Like I said, hopefully he brings that Bias to the Bills. With all the nonsense generating negative publicity, the Bills sure could use it.