Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

How is Jackson better? They basically have the same career numbers across the board. EJ had a 112 qb rating last preseason and won the job before he got hurt.

How many teams are looking for competition with their #1 qb? And there have been zero questions on his work ethic.

I said TJax > Kolb, not EJ.

I bet the locker room is divided over QB's, just as a i feared

I heard Schoop say Bob Woods called out EJs play which created the riff between he and Marrone.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it really was over Orton, then I'd fully agree. But my understanding, based on when the argument actually took place (before the Lions game), the blowup was over Palmer, not Orton.

Good post.

To the quoted part: I don't understand why this is even a question. Both the staff and Orton have confirmed that they were in talks for months. To me, it seems obvious that there was no dispute over whether or not Orton would be a good acquisition.

Palmer, on the other hand...it's possible that Marrone saw him signed and told the FO "you'd better not be closing the door on the Orton deal."

I said TJax > Kolb, not EJ.

I heard Schoop say Bob Woods called out EJs play which created the riff between he and Marrone.

Either way, Woods needed a wake-up call. Twice in the preseason we saw him look for the ball late, which indicates concentration issues. There was at least one other time where he and EJ weren't on the same page.

Marrone knows that he can't afford Woods falling into the typical 2nd-year slump.

Good post.

To the quoted part: I don't understand why this is even a question. Both the staff and Orton have confirmed that they were in talks for months. To me, it seems obvious that there was no dispute over whether or not Orton would be a good acquisition.

Palmer, on the other hand...it's possible that Marrone saw him signed and told the FO "you'd better not be closing the door on the Orton deal."

That's what I am thinking is most likely. No idea if it's what actually happened but it makes the most sense. To me, that kind of reaction to Palmer as the #2 is more than understandable -- it's damn near commendable.

Either way, Woods needed a wake-up call. Twice in the preseason we saw him look for the ball late, which indicates concentration issues. There was at least one other time where he and EJ weren't on the same page.

Marrone knows that he can't afford Woods falling into the typical 2nd-year slump.

Don't read to much into this but it's true...if EJ was as good of a QB as Woods was a receiver we'd all be better off.

My pure speculation is that it's the opposite. Marrone doesn't have confidence in EJ and wanted another option. EJ is Whaley's guy. Marrone blew a gasket when they brought in Jordan Palmer and said "Get me a real QB or you might as well fire me." Whaley then paid hurricane prices for Orton, who had told the Bills months ago that if they wanted him, the price was $5M. They laughed at him at the time but then paid up once Marrone had his meltdown.

Again, that's my 100% speculation. If I'm right, though, Marrone is going to want Orton to play sooner rather than later.

I have been reading this whole most silly and very interesting thread for hours now. Its that good !

Coach i dont always agree with you but you give great dialogue here abouts !

This post is right on. I have some more reading to do here and jumped ahead. But what you have presented above has been my thinking.

But it took me awhile to get there . Glad to see someone else considers it played out this way .

I can almost hear Doug Marrone being rather forceful . " get me f'g QB NOW ! "

Coach I think you nailed it

Don't read to much into this but it's true...if EJ was as good of a QB as Woods was a receiver we'd all be better off.

maybe. But assuming woods didn't need a kick in the a** regardless of his talent is a big assumption. His scouting report indicated he had maturity issues. He got ejected from a divisional game in which we were already short WRs. We don't know the whole story is what I'm saying. Do I EVER want to see him off the field? No. But with both him and Hughes, they aren't squeaky clean and Marrone doesn't need to cater to their wishes.

They should have compromised and got pizza sandwiches...

http://www.ourbestbi...pizza-sandwich/

I lived in an area with bad pizza and pedestrian subs. The best solution was, pizza subs. Not terrible (not great, either).

Okay, I've read every post in this thread, and here's my comment:

This thread could serve as a case-study in confirmation bias.

The folks that don't like Marrone think he's losing the team, the anti-Brandon faction thinks it's his fault, the "bean counters run the team" crowd gets their respective licks in, the happy-go-lucky group brushes it under the table, etc etc etc

As for reality: there's very likely tension inside 1BD, as well there should be...14 years of losing is unacceptable. A new owner means change, and that could include anyone who's job performance hasn't been up to snuff.

Why the argument is being reported as breaking news escapes me, and it seems like an effort to stir up trouble.

Again though, everything with this team comes back to play on the field. Winning solves everything.

Well said. And spot on.

Why would he publicly critize the backups? Why would he not care about their confidence. Our backups played 6 games last year...it served no purpose to openly critize them but Doug did. I think you missed my original point. My point wasn't 'Doug should openly critize EJ' but 'why would Doug critize Jeff and Thad but coddle EJ?

Perhaps he can see EJ doesn't need the extra motivation. Maybe he knows EJ is putting enough pressure on himself and doesn't need more. The stakes are less important if you are wrong with a backup.

Now, I don't know that this is the case, but I would think you might actually think of this possibility on your own, if you actually tried.

Connecting the dots with stories like this is impossible for those seeking to defend all things Bills.

If people can't see that current management at OBD are posturing to get a favorable opinion from the new owner, they're ostriches.

Agreed,.

It's also impossible for those who are willing to try to make the Bills look incompetent at every turn.

We have enough apologists and haters on the board. Do you think it is better to be one than the other?

The truth is, it is impossible to connect the dots with any certainly,

I lived in an area with bad pizza and pedestrian subs. The best solution was, pizza subs. Not terrible (not great, either).

Well said. And spot on.

Perhaps he can see EJ doesn't need the extra motivation. Maybe he knows EJ is putting enough pressure on himself and doesn't need more. The stakes are less important if you are wrong with a backup.

Now, I don't know that this is the case, but I would think you might actually think of this possibility on your own, if you actually tried.

Motivation? That was Tuel's and Lewis' issue? Don't think so. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't think that of either those two and I don't think motivation is the issue with EJ.

Motivation? That was Tuel's and Lewis' issue? Don't think so. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't think that of either those two and I don't think motivation is the issue with EJ.

Perhaps they weren't putting in the time/work that EJ was. Perhaps he saw no improvement with them, but did with EJ, Clearly the stakes with challenging your young, marginally talented, backups isn't the same as challenging your talented, #1 pick, starting QB. The truth is, I don't KNOW, Neither do you,. But I can think of some reasons why he may treat them differently. I challenge you to use your brain to think of some reasons of your own. If you can't imagine ANY reason why a coach uses different motivation for different players, I'd say you have a terrible imagination. Try to think through all the possibilities.

And I believe I can imagine your response/ :rolleyes:

Edited by The Dean

I have not chimed in on this issue because you all have done a great job discussing it already. I just wanted to jump in and add my opinion that this situation reminds me of the old bickering bills. I love the fact that the HC is doing whatever he thinks he has to in order to win. If that means screaming at his bosses, then so be it. I have done the same for better or worse.

Passion can be a great thing, and i hope Marrone and the Bills can find a way to channel that emotion into W's. Maybe this can draw the team together and make them gel. Maybe EJ will decide to let fly and play like a 1st round stud with a future for the HC. Nobody knows, but I love the fact that the coach CARES.

Well said. And spot on.

This one is tough. As EJ and just taking notice of what is going on around me the last couple weeks He might have noticed that he had no Bu qbs because the Team pushed the Eject button on ALL of them.

No pressure ?

Everyone in the world knows EJ is the make or break for the team . And especially EJ.

So the argument that there was an argument about protecting his feelings is idiotic on a good day.

This is a quote from the original garbage

" who the personnel side believes is a quality guard (he just received a contract extension a few years back) but who Marrone has soured on (the team explored trades for Urbik before roster cuts, league sources said "

to the genral public...

Makes no sense at all.

So The Team tried to trade him , i assume that means some decisoin making from the Personnel Dept ?

Coach Marrone does not tell anyone to trade Urbik does he ? sure it wasnt a money thing and the other way around ?

Edited by 3rdand12

If I can liken this to my marriage. Me and my wife have argued over the years about, spending money, the children, where to go on vacation, etc, etc. But at the end of the day, we didn't hold a grudge and we both knew the other wanted what was best for the family, and we loved each other. We both made concessions at times. So my point here is that these guys can fight like dogs, but that doesn't mean they hold grudges or don't like each other. They can fight and still work great togerther and actually be effective. The key is respect. If they still respect each other but can fight over football decisions and work at compromise, they they can be a very effective team. As a matter of fact, that kind of a relationship can work to make a team better. Let's hope this is the case.

Perhaps they weren't putting in the time/work that EJ was. Perhaps he saw no improvement with them, but did with EJ, Clearly the stakes with challenging your young, marginally talented, backups isn't the same as challenging your talented, #1 pick, starting QB. The truth is, I don't KNOW, Neither do you,. But I can think of some reasons why he may treat them differently. I challenge you to use your brain to think of some reasons of your own. If you can't imagine ANY reason why a coach uses different motivation for different players, I'd say you have a terrible imagination. Try to think through all the possibilities.

And I believe I can imagine your response/ :rolleyes:

I reject the notion the Tuel wasn't putting in the work. He was in great shape and according to reports he put in the time.

I've an idea why EJ didn't receive any 'rise to the challenge' call outs and I imagine my ideas differ from yours. Which game was it that EJ confirmed to the media that EJ did a good job because his coaches said so? I seriously don't remembers hitch game it was...this preseason was one big blur of offensive ineptitude.

I reject the notion the Tuel wasn't putting in the work. He was in great shape and according to reports he put in the time.

I've an idea why EJ didn't receive any 'rise to the challenge' call outs and I imagine my ideas differ from yours. Which game was it that EJ confirmed to the media that EJ did a good job because his coaches said so? I seriously don't remembers hitch game it was...this preseason was one big blur of offensive ineptitude.

Detroit. The last game.

More specifically, he said they told him he went to the right places with the ball.