Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

Okay, I've read every post in this thread, and here's my comment:

This thread could serve as a case-study in confirmation bias.

The folks that don't like Marrone think he's losing the team, the anti-Brandon faction thinks it's his fault, the "bean counters run the team" crowd gets their respective licks in, the happy-go-lucky group brushes it under the table, etc etc etc

As for reality: there's very likely tension inside 1BD, as well there should be...14 years of losing is unacceptable. A new owner means change, and that could include anyone who's job performance hasn't been up to snuff.

Why the argument is being reported as breaking news escapes me, and it seems like an effort to stir up trouble.

Again though, everything with this team comes back to play on the field. Winning solves everything.

Thats my take, when I first saw it tweeted, I thought it was a new argument. Just odd the timing considering it happened a week ago.

And agree, win tomorrow and all of this is forgotten.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I've read every post in this thread, and here's my comment:

This thread could serve as a case-study in confirmation bias.

The folks that don't like Marrone think he's losing the team, the anti-Brandon faction thinks it's his fault, the "bean counters run the team" crowd gets their respective licks in, the happy-go-lucky group brushes it under the table, etc etc etc

As for reality: there's very likely tension inside 1BD, as well there should be...14 years of losing is unacceptable. A new owner means change, and that could include anyone who's job performance hasn't been up to snuff.

Why the argument is being reported as breaking news escapes me, and it seems like an effort to stir up trouble.

Again though, everything with this team comes back to play on the field. Winning solves everything.

Winning absolutely solves everything (in most cases, i.e. Jerry Jones/Jimmy Johnson), however, so does losing. If this team wins, Marrone/Whaley will be viewed as a dynamic duo young GM/young HC and Brandon will have successfully navigated through a dysfunctional organization and created a winning culture. If this team loses, however, they ALL should be gone.

Right now, I'm losing hope by the day that they'll win, but, like 30 other teams they are 0-0, so anything can happen.

I can't imagine Marrone would not want Orton just in case of a EJ injury.

I can.

It's so odd to see him say he wasn't pleased with the backups. To me that'd be fine but he wouldn't say anything close to 'EJ could have done better.' I believe Marrone is very concerned about EJs confidence and doesn't want the fans to start chanting for another QB during a game.

I can.

It's so odd to see him say he wasn't pleased with the backups. To me that'd be fine but he wouldn't say anything close to 'EJ could have done better.' I believe Marrone is very concerned about EJs confidence and doesn't want the fans to start chanting for another QB during a game.

Of course, he's going to do everything to boost EJ's confidence. Why would he do anything else? To appease fans with a good press conference? It serves no purpose.

I can.

i don't find it odd at all, actually. As far back as predraft one of the posters here who has sources - don't want to call him out in case I have the wrong one - said that he heard the bills were not enamored with their backup QBs. I was kind of surprised at the time since I thought Thad did a decent job when he played. But I guess they knew back then that they weren't going to cut it and that just intensified during OTAs and camp. I didn't think they would draft one because adding another rookie to the mix wasn't going to help EJ. Like many others I wanted a proven vet backup and so did the Bills, which was why they originally signed Kolb.

I don't see why it is odd they would be ok with moving on from 2 UDFAs but not their #1 draft pick.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I've concluded LaContortionist is falling prey to the pressure of having to be the "insider" for 32 teams. He has some sources but doesn't bother to fact check or do his own research. Hence a repeated series of "blown calls" regarding the Bills this offseason. It's just sloppy.

I've concluded LaContortionist is falling prey to the pressure of having to be the "insider" for 32 teams. He has some sources but doesn't bother to fact check or do his own research. Hence a repeated series of "blown calls" regarding the Bills this offseason. It's just sloppy.

... Wait, maybe La Canfora = Crayonz?

Of course, he's going to do everything to boost EJ's confidence. Why would he do anything else? To appease fans with a good press conference? It serves no purpose.

Why would he publicly critize the backups? Why would he not care about their confidence. Our backups played 6 games last year...it served no purpose to openly critize them but Doug did. I think you missed my original point. My point wasn't 'Doug should openly critize EJ' but 'why would Doug critize Jeff and Thad but coddle EJ?

Why would he publicly critize the backups? Why would he not care about their confidence. Our backups played 6 games last year...it served no purpose to openly critize them but Doug did. I think you missed my original point. My point wasn't 'Doug should openly critize EJ' but 'why would Doug critize Jeff and Thad but coddle EJ?

Because it seemed like EJ had a lot better moments than Thad or Tuel. And I think the criticism was more of a challenge for one of them to step up.

Competition makes everyone better.

I agree. And that's why I'm concerned. I always got the impression Marrone never wanted competition for EJ. Marrone got rid of TJax who was better than Kolb. He didn't want any new QBs this off season and if rumors be true he got upset about the Orton signing. I'm not saying 'fire Doug' but he's losing the fan base. If they get out to a bad start it's not going to go well.

I agree. And that's why I'm concerned. I always got the impression Marrone never wanted competition for EJ. Marrone got rid of TJax who was better than Kolb. He didn't want any new QBs this off season and if rumors be true he got upset about the Orton signing. I'm not saying 'fire Doug' but he's losing the fan base. If they get out to a bad start it's not going to go well.

How is Jackson better? They basically have the same career numbers across the board. EJ had a 112 qb rating last preseason and won the job before he got hurt.

How many teams are looking for competition with their #1 qb? And there have been zero questions on his work ethic.

If it really was over Orton, then I'd fully agree. But my understanding, based on when the argument actually took place (before the Lions game), the blowup was over Palmer, not Orton. If that's the case, then the context of the "blowup" changes tremendously. From all that St.Doug has said publicly, he's a big Orton fan. He never sounded like a Palmer fan. It's possible the blowup wasn't over getting too much competition for EJ but too little. That might change your opinion on the coach.

Excuse me, Saint.

Maybe he was very happy(or at least content) with EJ's progression, but was extremely concerned with the regression of the 2 backups.......and his FO was not addressing the situation(getting a decent replacement backup).

That would all make perfect sense as to why he didn't publically criticize EJ.....and more importantly why he progressively spoke more negatively about the backup QBs. Who knows.....maybe the big blowup was all about the fact that his FO was leaving him with dross as his backup QB.

Edited by Dibs