Colts Release Kelvin Sheppard

Just a strategy. A lot of coaches who are known to be offensive or defensive guys do it to some degree. Chan did it to the extreme but that wasn't really his problem. His problem was choosing the wrong guy to hand over all the reigns to, and then, even worse, when it clearly wasn't working, he didn't step in and demand change. So in that respect, you're right. That was a mistake in hindsight, not being more involved so he lost the defense. It could have worked if he hired, say, a Pettine or a Schwartz.

Again hindsight for us .

I would hold some of that situation on the GM . In regard to Gailey . and his selection of a D C and his staffiing.

Possibly obvious that Bills could not lure a viable DC with a program.

Very possible.

And he did lose them. Painfully correct . We saw it .

I still hold Dave W responsible for Kyle W's recurring Achilles issue. Both ankles ? Coincidence ? i dont think so.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was Whaley.

And I just want the same attention as the Bulls get for their bad moves. But I realize that won't happen because people love the negative.

Actually it was Buddy Nix. The Bills traded Kelvin Sheppard to the Colts on April 29,2013. Buddy Nix was the GM. Doug Whaley was named the new GM on May 16, 2013.

It was a good trade, but it was also Nix who drafted Sheppard. Win some, lose some!

Edited by Billsguy

It's not just the Sheppard/Hughes trade. These moves have all been pretty good too:

1. Trade for Mike Williams - yes, I know he hasn't played a regular season game yet but that has all the makings of a good trade.

2. Free agent pickups Brandon Spikes and Corey Graham.

3. Getting a 4th for Stevie Johnson when he was clearly extra baggage.

4. Dan Carpenter pickup.

5. Whether you like EJ Manuel or not, trading down from 8 to 15 and picking up a 2nd and then drafting Kiko Alonso was terrific.

6. Signing Kyle Orton.

7. Personally, I love the Sammy Watkins trade up. I think he will be vindicated on that one because I think Watkins will be a top 3-5 receiver in the league.

There are moves that haven't worked out (re-signing Branch, but who knew he would totally take the money and become a slug?), waiting on a backup QB can be criticized, but overall I think Whaley's the best GM the Bills have ever had except for Polian. He's better than Butler, who was a fantastic scout but not a great GM (rode the Polian coattails for the most part).

I agree with almost all of this. But it doesn't mean Whaley should not be criticized for his bad moves (or non-moves). Despite the fact that he has made many astute moves and presided over two seemingly productive drafts, the Bills do not appear to be any closer to making the playoffs, due largely to the FO's poor handling of the QB position. That remains a valid criticism, and a potentially fatal flaw, even if Whaley has made a slew of brilliant moves with regard to the rest of the roster.

It's not just the Sheppard/Hughes trade. These moves have all been pretty good too:

1. Trade for Mike Williams - yes, I know he hasn't played a regular season game yet but that has all the makings of a good trade.

2. Free agent pickups Brandon Spikes and Corey Graham.

3. Getting a 4th for Stevie Johnson when he was clearly extra baggage.

4. Dan Carpenter pickup.

5. Whether you like EJ Manuel or not, trading down from 8 to 15 and picking up a 2nd and then drafting Kiko Alonso was terrific.

6. Signing Kyle Orton.

7. Personally, I love the Sammy Watkins trade up. I think he will be vindicated on that one because I think Watkins will be a top 3-5 receiver in the league.

There are moves that haven't worked out (re-signing Branch, but who knew he would totally take the money and become a slug?), waiting on a backup QB can be criticized, but overall I think Whaley's the best GM the Bills have ever had except for Polian. He's better than Butler, who was a fantastic scout but not a great GM (rode the Polian coattails for the most part).

Spot on. :thumbsup:

The Trent Richardson trade takes the cake but the Bills came out ahead in this one too. Problem is, the Colts tanked at just the right time to suck into Luck and this will likely color all these missteps. Much like Polian's tenure with the Colts was terrible but was covered up by the Manning draft.

??

Robert Mathis (111 sacks and still strong), Reggie Wayne (over 1000 receptions and 13,000 yards so far), Edgerrin James (12,246 rushing yards and 433 receptions), and Dwight Freeney (108 sacks and a true dominator) are ALL significantly better than any player the Bills picked between 1998 and the time Polian left Indy. It's not even close. All four have legit HOF potential. Bob Sanders was a truly elite player too but had injuries. Dallas Clark, who just retired, had a terrific career too: 643 receptions, and in the two final years in which he didn't play with Manning, he had 128 receptions (so it wasn't just Manning). And fwiw, Donald Brown was playing extremely well last I checked.

Polian is a HOF GM. He missed on a few picks (as all GMs do) and all of a sudden he's not so great. The record speaks for itself too. Sure, Manning -- who Polian doesn't get enough credit for drafting over Leaf -- was and is transcendantly good, but if a team goes 138-54 over a dozen-year stretch, it ain't just the QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

Actually it was Buddy Nix. The Bills traded Kelvin Sheppard to the Colts on April 29,2013. Buddy Nix was the GM. Doug Whaley was named the new GM on May 16, 2013.

It was a good trade, but it was also Nix who drafted Sheppard. Win some, lose some!

Reading some of these threads makes me laugh. Seems like we need some ground rules on who gets credit and blame for what.

Technically this was Nix trade, just like technically the 2013 draft was Nix's draft.

Most of us don't believe either to be the case.

However, those on the board that are still infatuated with the current FO, credit Whaley for the Sheppard-Hughes trade and those same folks argue that Nix picked Manuel.

Talk about selective amnesia, UGH !

In any case, this was a GREAT trade for the Bills, whoever each of you partisans want to credit doesn't really matter to me.

BTW, I count myself as one of said partisans.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN