Shower Boy ~ Redux

So, many of you are familiar of my dealings with shower boy. My across the street neighbor who is a supposed recovering heroin addict. For a time he was constantly coming over to my house asking to use our shower. According to him, his "migraine medicine" has bad side effects, and it helps for him to take a really hot shower. He claims his shower "doesn't get that hot," mine apparently does...here we are...

We haven't been visited by shower boy in almost 2 months. I made it clear to him that he had crossed the line and was not welcome here anymore. He has been respectful of my boundaries, and even came over once and apologized to my wife and I...said it would never happen again. Over the past couple months, however, our neighbor situation has deteriorated (if you can imagine). Renters have come and gone, and now I have no idea exactly who is living there. Random people just seem to come and go. They have loud parties, and the police have been there countless times and arrested several people. We, along with our next door neighbor, have both filed reports with the police about our concerns.

Well, I haven't seen shower boy in weeks until this morning. It was about 7:00 (my only day of the week to sleep in) and my wife had just woke up with my daughter. About 5 minutes after she woke up, shower boy came knocking at the door asking to use the shower. My wife told him that he was not allowed to use the shower and asked him to leave. When he stayed on the porch begging to come in, my wife came and woke me up. When I got downstairs, I found shower boy standing in my lawn, literally sobbing and drooling...again begging me to use the shower. It was disgusting and sad. I firmly told him to get lost before I needed to call the police, and he said to me "you don't understand man, this could mean life or death!"

I was very irritated, and again told him to get the hell off my property. He finally stumbled back across the street. Well, approximately 2 hours later an ambulance pulled up across the street and took shower boy away on a stretcher.

I am at a loss here. I am human and I actually have empathy for the kid. I fear for the safety of my family, so I don't allow him to come in my house. We have talked with the "landlord," about what is going on over there, but he doesn't seem concerned and never says that he is doing something about it. The thing is, he is frequently over there partying with them. I think he is a drug addict too. This situation is so messed up, and I really don't know what to do next. Uggh. This used to be a perfect little neighborhood! Our former neighbors across the street were such a nice family.

You did the right thing.

Protect your family, AND realize it's okay to feel bad for the kid.

Let's face it, this kid needs help, and he doesn't seem willing/able to get it. Thus, whether it happened today, tomorrow, or when you're on vacation sometime, sooner or later he wouldn't be able to use your shower when he "needed" it an the end result would be the same.

As for the neighborhood, can you and the others put your heads together with the local authorities and see about getting the house condemned or the owner held liable? I know that's probably not what you want to do, but it may be the best path to cleaning house.

Here's hoping things work out for the best; as a good dedicated family man you deserve better.

You definitely did the right thing. You let him take one more shower, he'll then want just one more shave. Then one more deuce. One more pair of underwear. One more jacket.... pretty soon, he's wearing a dress made out of your skin.

You definitely did the right thing. You let him take one more shower, he'll then want just one more shave. Then one more deuce. One more pair of underwear. One more jacket.... pretty soon, he's wearing a dress made out of your skin.

Jeezum cripes!!! This may be more serious than I thought...

You did the right thing.

Let's face it, this kid needs help, and he doesn't seem willing/able to get it. Thus, whether it happened today, tomorrow, or when you're on vacation sometime, sooner or later he wouldn't be able to use your shower when he "needed" it an the end result would be the same.

As for the neighborhood, can you and the others put your heads together with the local authorities and see about getting the house condemned or the owner held liable? I know that's probably not what you want to do, but it may be the best path to cleaning house.

Here's hoping things work out for the best; as a good dedicated family man you deserve better.

Thanks Bandit. I think that is the next logical step here. Clearly we need to get the neighbors together and file a more formal complaint against the landlord.

You did the right thing.

Very true. No question you did the right thing. An alternate ending is you welcome him into your home and he does something horrific to you, your family and/or himself. He's clearly unstable and needs to be kept at arms length. Call the cops/ambulance/national guard/red cross or whomever you need. He's more than proven he shouldn't be welcomed into your home.

Wow, I feel for you, but you did the right thing. I don't believe not taking a shower, in your shower, could have harmed the man. Had he come into your place he could have collapsed there.

The Bandit is right. Get together and attempt to force the landlord to get things straightened up. Just so you know, he may already be trying to do that. A friend of mine had squatter drug addicts in her rental house. She went to the sheriff's office on many occasions and the cops were there all the time. The squatters managed to stay there for quite a while before being evicted, finally. So I suppose it might not be the landlord's doing. But putting pressure on him can't hurt.

Wow, I feel for you, but you did the right thing. I don't believe not taking a shower, in your shower, could have harmed the man. Had he come into your place he could have collapsed there.

You may want to read up on the first thread about Shower Boy, I think it was before your recent return here.....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/169233-hammersticks-truck-stop/

You may want to read up on the first thread about Shower Boy, I think it was before your recent return here.....

http://forums.twobil...cks-truck-stop/

Interesting. Withdrawal certainly is a possibility, but I also believe the guy might suffer from some mental issues (other than addiction).

Honestly...I think you should have called the cops immediately. Anyone with his pattern of behavior who shows up in the condition you describe who's claiming a shower is a "life or death matter" is in serious and immediate trouble in one way or another, and in need of a psych e v a l at the very least.

Not that I think you did wrong, or that you're at all responsible for what happened and should flog yourself with guilt. And it's as likely as not that having the cops deal with him just delays the inevitable ambulance ride and medical crisis, hence doesn't make a difference. But emergency services is far better positioned to deal with him than you are at this point.

Interesting. Withdrawal certainly is a possibility, but I also believe the guy might suffer from some mental issues (other than addiction).

I'm now wishing I'd gone with my first impulse posting in the previous thread.

Which was to post: "Say hi to The Dean for us."

I'm now wishing I'd gone with my first impulse posting in the previous thread.

Which was to post: "Say hi to The Dean for us."

:lol: Had the neighbor been coming over and begging bourbon or something, that would have been a good guess.

Call the cops next time

In the meantime, I would recommend installing a porch light with motion sensor and putting one of these stickers in the window...

https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+window+sticker&client=firefox-a&hs=BZn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=af8BVOTMDIKnggS81ILABw&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1106&bih=982

Honestly...I think you should have called the cops immediately. Anyone with his pattern of behavior who shows up in the condition you describe who's claiming a shower is a "life or death matter" is in serious and immediate trouble in one way or another, and in need of a psych e v a l at the very least.

Not that I think you did wrong, or that you're at all responsible for what happened and should flog yourself with guilt. And it's as likely as not that having the cops deal with him just delays the inevitable ambulance ride and medical crisis, hence doesn't make a difference. But emergency services is far better positioned to deal with him than you are at this point.

You make a good point, Tom. That is where we are at moving forward with this guy. His brother just came over to apologize. He didn't offer any explanation, just that shower boy "has problems that they are working on." I explained to him that while I am sympathetic...I need to be papa bear here. I explained that if his brother came over to my house again that I would immediately call the police and file charges for trespassing and harassment.

He did not say much to that other than he would inform his brother.

You make a good point, Tom. That is where we are at moving forward with this guy. His brother just came over to apologize. He didn't offer any explanation, just that shower boy "has problems that they are working on." I explained to him that while I am sympathetic...I need to be papa bear here. I explained that if his brother came over to my house again that I would immediately call the police and file charges for trespassing and harassment.

He did not say much to that other than he would inform his brother.

Bizarre ...

Although my wife and I moved into this house in May and we know nothing about our neighbors. The lots here are big and this town is known for people who don't want to be bothered by others. It's a little extreme.

Did you at any point let him in your bathroom? I have a feeling he hid drugs(probably heroin or pills) in your bathroom and needed a fix. Heroin addicts do stuff like that, I work with them helping to rehabilitate.

If I'm a junkie who is in the midst I using and I think someone is going to search my house I may hide something in the neighbors house. It's an addicts mentality. If he was fiending, he would beg to get back in there.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Call the health department. Landlord has to provide shower or tub. They can condemn the place with no shower facilities or tub. Landlord would at least have to fix the shower anyway and get this guy off your back

Geez; that's really scary to think that there could be heroin lying around his house.

Interesting point made, but I highly doubt the guy is stashing drugs in my house. It has been nearly 2 months since he has been inside my house, and he is broke. I think he would have been trying to get his stash long before now. He's a broke ass drug addict.

Never know tho...

If the Mrs. and I find a bundle of powder it will be a wild night! lol

What to do about the drug den?? Hmmmm....any of your other neighbors volunteer firemen?

We have neighbors on both sides of us that are aware of the drug house. One is a 74 year old woman, and the other is older woman who is a real estate agent. No firefighters or anyone else who might be skilled at accidentally lighting drug dens on fire. Unfortunately...

Shut up, Love Corn.

I am love corn.

Vermont has very open gun laws. Castle doctrine? Honestly next time this zoned out junkie shows up at your door I'd stuff a 12 gauge in his mouth.

Yes, Big gun, Small brain. Shoot what you don't understand.

Interesting point made, but I highly doubt the guy is stashing drugs in my house. It has been nearly 2 months since he has been inside my house, and he is broke. I think he would have been trying to get his stash long before now. He's a broke ass drug addict.

Never know tho...

I doubt he's stashing drugs. He could be ditching paraphernalia like works and such. I'm thinking he's desperately hiding from someone in a place he feels is safe.

We have neighbors on both sides of us that are aware of the drug house. One is a 74 year old woman, and the other is older woman who is a real estate agent. No firefighters or anyone else who might be skilled at accidentally lighting drug dens on fire. Unfortunately...

Bummer.

Make sure you do the online research at the library and not at home.

Yes, Big gun, Small brain. Shoot what you don't understand.

That's why I always make an attempt to understand my local druggies before I blow 'em away.

I doubt he's stashing drugs. He could be ditching paraphernalia like works and such. I'm thinking he's desperately hiding from someone in a place he feels is safe.

From a risk management standpoint, though...federal asset forfeiture laws being what they are, even if paraphernalia were found in JH's house, he could have his property seized and auctioned. The probability of risk might be pretty low, but the potential impact is awfully high.

So, many of you are familiar of my dealings with shower boy. My across the street neighbor who is a supposed recovering heroin addict. For a time he was constantly coming over to my house asking to use our shower. According to him, his "migraine medicine" has bad side effects, and it helps for him to take a really hot shower. He claims his shower "doesn't get that hot," mine apparently does...here we are...

We haven't been visited by shower boy in almost 2 months. I made it clear to him that he had crossed the line and was not welcome here anymore. He has been respectful of my boundaries, and even came over once and apologized to my wife and I...said it would never happen again. Over the past couple months, however, our neighbor situation has deteriorated (if you can imagine). Renters have come and gone, and now I have no idea exactly who is living there. Random people just seem to come and go. They have loud parties, and the police have been there countless times and arrested several people. We, along with our next door neighbor, have both filed reports with the police about our concerns.

Well, I haven't seen shower boy in weeks until this morning. It was about 7:00 (my only day of the week to sleep in) and my wife had just woke up with my daughter. About 5 minutes after she woke up, shower boy came knocking at the door asking to use the shower. My wife told him that he was not allowed to use the shower and asked him to leave. When he stayed on the porch begging to come in, my wife came and woke me up. When I got downstairs, I found shower boy standing in my lawn, literally sobbing and drooling...again begging me to use the shower. It was disgusting and sad. I firmly told him to get lost before I needed to call the police, and he said to me "you don't understand man, this could mean life or death!"

I was very irritated, and again told him to get the hell off my property. He finally stumbled back across the street. Well, approximately 2 hours later an ambulance pulled up across the street and took shower boy away on a stretcher.

I am at a loss here. I am human and I actually have empathy for the kid. I fear for the safety of my family, so I don't allow him to come in my house. We have talked with the "landlord," about what is going on over there, but he doesn't seem concerned and never says that he is doing something about it. The thing is, he is frequently over there partying with them. I think he is a drug addict too. This situation is so messed up, and I really don't know what to do next. Uggh. This used to be a perfect little neighborhood! Our former neighbors across the street were such a nice family.

might be time to move.

I have a neighbor who is drunk who was asking for rides at 2:00 AM. Being a nice guy I did this 3x but it was clear that he was taking advantage of the situation along with saying really inappropriate about/to my wife and daughter. The last straw was he conned my wife into giving him a ride an hr away because he son was going to "commit suicide" but the whole time he was hitting on her. Needless to say I was furious. I thought I might have to kill him but knew that was wrong so I prayed real hard that God would take care of the situation and he hasn't bothered us since.

Doubtful, it's junkies that need an ambulance two hrs later.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Doubtful, it's junkies that need an ambulance two hrs later.

Completely uninformed statement.

Addiction often goes hand-in-hand with other mental issues. Show me an addict, I'll give you even-money odds they have a mental illness and are self-medicating.

Unsurprisingly the complete opposite of BBs post- informed.

Still no sightings of shower boy. I've seen his brother stop by a few times, so I assume he is there. The wife and I have a meeting with a city police detective on Tuesday. After speaking with one officer, it is apparent that they are aware of what's happening.

I don't want to be a rat, but I feel compelled to share my concerns...especially about the landlord. My wife, I'm sure, will be much more candid. Scary stuff...

Still no sightings of shower boy. I've seen his brother stop by a few times, so I assume he is there. The wife and I have a meeting with a city police detective on Tuesday. After speaking with one officer, it is apparent that they are aware of what's happening.

I don't want to be a rat, but I feel compelled to share my concerns...especially about the landlord. My wife, I'm sure, will be much more candid. Scary stuff...

I think it's safe to say you have nothing to feel bad about. The guy is seemingly on a self destructive path if drastic changes don't occur for him. If that requires police intervention....so be it. Especially when you feel somewhat threatened by him or his potential actions. You tried to be nice and now you have to be smart.

Lastly, how often is an internet message board universally united on a topic? I think everyone in this thread (and the other) has expressed some worry for you (and the shower boy to a degree). Sometimes the worst thing you can do is nothing. I'm glad you called the cops. As you said, they are already in the know. This raises their concern and hopefully keeps everyone more aware. Be safe!

That was my first thought too. As mind altering substances can cause the onset of psychosis(or similar), I think this could be quite likely.

I think the OP did the right thing however. Family comes first. Though Johnny H might have been able to offer proper help to Showerboy(beyond that of simply allowing the use of the shower), in my mind he had no choice but to turn the poor soul away. The resposibilty of ensuring of the safety for his family trumps the perceived social responibilities to help one's fellow man.

Completely uninformed statement.

uninformed! You don't jack, I have a junkie nephew so Shut the hell up

Addiction often goes hand-in-hand with other mental issues. Show me an addict, I'll give you even-money odds they have a mental illness and are self-medicating.

sometimes the case but many times people just get addicted.

uninformed! You don't jack, I have a junkie nephew so Shut the hell up

I'm a recovered "junkie" that professionally helps other recovered "junkies" and has been doing so for years. So please tell me more about what I don't know and your junkie nephew...

There is no doubt that drug addiction and mental illness have a strong correlation. I would venture to guess that the relationship, by etiology, is reciprocal.

Was it the shower boy or the egg? Or both? Or neither? Surely it was something.

That was my first thought too. As mind altering substances can cause the onset of psychosis(or similar), I think this could be quite likely.

I think the OP did the right thing however. Family comes first. Though Johnny H might have been able to offer proper help to Showerboy(beyond that of simply allowing the use of the shower), in my mind he had no choice but to turn the poor soul away. The resposibilty of ensuring of the safety for his family trumps the perceived social responibilities to help one's fellow man.

No doubt in my mind, he did the right thing. I probably would have also called the police.

Edited by The Dean

Vermont is the last place I'd expect Rush Limbaugh to be hanging around.

But seriously ... you did the right thing on every level. I'm impressed with your level of compassion, as well as your ability to keep it in check and do what was/is best for your family.

The young man is obviously in need of help. But you've given him plenty; by being kind to him in the past, by being understanding, by not calling the police, by not assaulting him.

Hopefully the ambulance ride will be the first step in his road to recovery.

You should feel great about how you handled it.

The wife and I went down to meet with a detective at the city police department today. We made it clear that we were giving him information about Shower Boy and crew, not because we were prepared to file charges, but because we were concerned about his safety and the safety of others in the house (and obviously our safety). The officer was very kind and listened to the details of our story, and then informed us that the police were aware that something "fishy" was happening at the house. He also mentioned that other neighbors have called with complaints, and that they were "keeping an eye" on the property. He didn't say it directly, but it sounded as if they were waiting for the right opportunity to bust the house. He asked us if we wanted to proceed with filing a restraining order and we declined. I figure if he comes over again, we may need to go that route.

I think we did the right thing. At the very least, if one of the dope-heads gets lippy or aggressive with the wife and I have to cave someone's face in, it will be documented that we made the complaint. I honestly hope the kid does not get arrested and thrown in jail. That is the last thing he needs. If the police do bust the house, I hope it leads to him getting help.

Oh, Shower Boy....