Sick of Marone Being Down on Backups but Coddling EJ

Mr. T

There has been a lot of negative attention given (and rightfully so) to the play of the backup QBs while the REAL problem with the poor performance on Offense (EJ) continues to be coddled. Believe me, I want EJ to succeed so badly, because everything with this team rests with him.

But he needs a serious fire lit under his ass. I see a kid who thinks the job is his no matter what. No pressure to improve his play, no accountability. It seems as though everyone is afraid to hurt his feelings, or his ego. If he is this sensitive the Bills really blew it when they chose him as the franchise QB.

He plays poorly (the norm) and stands up in post game press conferences and says he thinks he played well, "Just a few drops". What?!!

Let's be honest, if EJ was playing half way decent, we all could care less about the backups. But everyone is worried with the backups because it just reminds us all (including Marone) that we have no alternative to EJ if he continues to stink up the place with his indecision and off the mark passes.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is lack of real competition. He has the job no matter what

there is no competition because they wouldn't even consider it in the offseason, another form of coddling EJ. Totally agree with OP, just watched the short post game presser where at one point, he says "talking to coach hackett, coach downing, they told me I did a good job so I was happy with that". That sounds like a helpless child in need of approval to me. I've been very patient with Manuel, but he is not NFL talent, over his head, and clearly delusional. And Hackett is terrible. People throw up offensive stats to stand by these guys, but if you get away from the stats and just watch the game, it couldn't be any clearer that they simply aren't good enough.

The scariest part is that the Bills 1st stringers don't seem to be better than other team's 2nd stringers.

The defense seems good again. Nobody on offense can seem to grasp the genius of Marrone and Hackett's "system". Don't know what we have in EJ but Jackson, Spiller, Watkins and Woods all look terrible along with the entire OL. Peyton Manning would look like Trent Edwards if he played for this doofus.

there is no competition because they wouldn't even consider it in the offseason, another form of coddling EJ.

I agree. Not bringing in competition was willful negligence. As was burning the best chance to replace him in next year's draft by trading away our first round pick. That is one hell of a gamble.

Fans get to have it all the ways they want when they're in "complain" mode. Get mad about coddling now, but then also get mad about leaving guys in there, susceptible to injury, when the front office hasn't provided them a viable plan B. Complaining rules!

If he hasn't unleashed the whole offense, the whole catalog of what his starter will be doing, then how can we really evaluate that from the outside? If the starter is really working on his mechanics and timing and that's the focus - not a scripted drive or a game-plan - then what are we supposed to think we're seeing here? I'll bite that EJ still seems to be working a lot of that out. I'll actually get worried if and when they all suck in actual games.

Something more than EJ is wrong here. The kid looks worse than last year, the o line is a disaster, the WRs are running the wrong routes...

Maybe the pressure to win is causing these kitties to crumble when they are on the field...?

EJ was very good in some games, very bad in others. I still have hope he just needs to get through a few complete games and build confidence with success. Also Williams didn't play much WR, but he is the #1 on the team untill we see different.

Teams are going to put 8 in the box and choke off the run so EJ better figure it out.... 9 days to learn the real story

Something more than EJ is wrong here. The kid looks worse than last year, the o line is a disaster, the WRs are running the wrong routes...

Maybe the pressure to win is causing these kitties to crumble when they are on the field...?

Maybe it's preseason and they aren't playing them like they are real games?

But he needs a serious fire lit under his ass. I see a kid who thinks the job is his no matter what. No pressure to improve his play, no accountability. It seems as though everyone is afraid to hurt his feelings, or his ego. If he is this sensitive the Bills really blew it when they chose him as the franchise QB.

Any parent of a sensitive kid can tell you, 'lighting a fire under their ass' will usually cause them to wilt, not flourish.

The backup conversation is just noise. There is no other potential NFL starting QB on the team besides EJ.

In public, does he have a choice? ripping your only starter in the media is not the way to go. EJ is all they have and all they will have. they need to run run run the ball, screen (traditional, bubble and quick) pass it, and play defense this year. all they can do and play s teams. and I believe that is what they will do. same way steelers did it with Ben. win ugly. and defenses will plan to force them to pass downfield ... should be interesting

Edited by 8and8Forever