Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, we Buffalo sports fans got incredibly lucky with guys like Golisano and Pegula, not to mention Ralph and his refusal to move the team. Incredibly lucky.

It really does not strike me as luck is the biggest factor in whether the Bills stay in Buffalo not., The biggest factor is NOT what any individual owner wants. The big factor is what the biggest money wants and the biggest money resides with the TV networks.

In terms of the actual decision-makers, its actually the NFL which is selling this product to the TV nets for billions of $ rather than one particular owner or group buying the franchise that drives the process. Its nice to have $ that live in wny buy the team, but there is clearly a working model where an outsider like Ralph Wilson who lived in Detroit buy the team and essentially be adopted by the community in a big way.

The luck of rich folks with Buffalo ties like the Pegulas (from here but actually live in FL, Golisano, the Jacobs, or even the Rich's interested, but as one can tell from this list (which does not include the considerable wealth that millionaire former Bills like Jimbo could leverage) that big bucks are always and issue but not a problem even in a thought of as poorer area like WNy.

The bucks say the franchise stays here in Buffalo because there is more money to be had by the decision-makers (the NFL) and the ultimate wallets (the TV nets) than from moving the franchise.

I think we got lucky on the lease as well. No way does Ralph sign that if he knew he was going to go that early into it. I think he figured 3-5 years more and then the team is still locked in but with a more enticing out to drive the bids up. There are just too many years on it to maximize profits and everyone always thinks they have longer.

I also think that while the trust wants to keep the team here some of the onus on their part is to make sure if someone tried to move the team and it ended up in court that they want to be sure they don't get dragged in as well.

I think they want the team here long term, but if a huge offer had come in that would have kept the team here through the lease, it would have been hard to turn down. We are very lucky in the way this played out and that we had local bidders.

We shall see. By November, we'll know whether the groundhog saw its shadow and we are in for 3 more years of garbage and turmoil from this mediocre franchise... doesn't matter who owns it

I'm not sure why it'd be 3 more years...is this predicated solely upon not having a 1st round pick next year? If so, I categorically disagree.

I think we got lucky on the lease as well. No way does Ralph sign that if he knew he was going to go that early into it. I think he figured 3-5 years more and then the team is still locked in but with a more enticing out to drive the bids up. There are just too many years on it to maximize profits and everyone always thinks they have longer.

I also think that while the trust wants to keep the team here some of the onus on their part is to make sure if someone tried to move the team and it ended up in court that they want to be sure they don't get dragged in as well.

I think they want the team here long term, but if a huge offer had come in that would have kept the team here through the lease, it would have been hard to turn down. We are very lucky in the way this played out and that we had local bidders.

Huh?? Ralph was 94 when he signed the lease. How long did he think he was going be around? :doh:

Google is your friend: "Pegula lives in Boca Raton, Florida along with his wife, Kim Pegula, a graduate of Houghton College. They have five children: Michael, Laura, Jessica (Jessie), Kelly and Matthew."

Pegula has said that the teams he owns will stay in his family and get passed down to his children. If he buys the Bills then they will be in Buffalo forever

Google is not your friend. The first two are not Kim's kids.

I'm pretty sure Ralph signed that lease knowing exactly what he was doing.

Huh?? Ralph was 94 when he signed the lease. How long did he think he was going be around? :doh:

If you read, I said 3-5 years and everyone thinks they have longer than they do. It's what you think when it's you. You don't want to believe you have a year or less.

It's not as if i was suggesting 10 or 20. Please reread for clarity.

I'm pretty sure Ralph signed that lease knowing exactly what he was doing.

And you are entitled to believe so.

It's ready been reported there were disagreements during negotiations on the penalty. It's not far fetched to think Ralph may have given in thinking it would only matter for 4-5 years. The buyout was not that much further when he passed.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Absolutely. That anyone can believe otherwise is stunning.

Agreed- Ralph entered in to the lease with just enough time for everyone to get the ducks in order for a long term solution. It was very generous and stopped a bidding war with LA and TO groups that I cannot see Pegula winning.

I can see the county drawing the line and calling out a 94 year old man for not wanting the up front costs and trouble of relocating in order for more favorable terms. Not that far fetched.

But if/when the team stays, I'm going to not want to be cynical and just live with the facts that ralph wilson founded the bills, had them for over 50 years, and things went down where they will likely be here 50 more.

I can see the county drawing the line and calling out a 94 year old man for not wanting the up front costs and trouble of relocating in order for more favorable terms. Not that far fetched.

But if/when the team stays, I'm going to not want to be cynical and just live with the facts that ralph wilson founded the bills, had them for over 50 years, and things went down where they will likely be here 50 more.

Let's go with that thought Brother !

Wasn't trying to put Ralph down. Love the man. Once the team stays love the trust.

Just pointing out that we were lucky the way this all worked out on several fronts. What if TPegs never got into natural gas and Mr. G had stayed in Rochester, never bought the Sabres and stepped up.

We all believed Jim and it was bad timing for him. I hope he would have had a group had it been needed.

It ended up like Christmas for WNY.

Wasn't trying to put Ralph down. Love the man. Once the team stays love the trust.

Just pointing out that we were lucky the way this all worked out on several fronts. What if TPegs never got into natural gas and Mr. G had stayed in Rochester, never bought the Sabres and stepped up.

We all believed Jim and it was bad timing for him. I hope he would have had a group had it been needed.

It ended up like Christmas for WNY.

What if? What if? Yes, things turned out well. But don't think for a second the lease agreement was "luck". That, and The Trust directive to keep the team local, were planned. Someone would have stepped in if not Pegula or Golisano. Ralph made it near impossible for anyone thinking of buying the team to move it. No doubt that was intentional.

Edited by The Dean

What if? What if? Yes, things turned out well. But don't think for a second the lease agreement was "luck". That, and The Trust directive to keep the team local, were planned. Someone would have stepped in if not Pegula or Golisano. Ralph made it near impossible for anyone thinking of buying the team to move

I apologize. You are right, there is no way any of this could have happened any different than the way that it did, or is about to.

Nothing else was ever a possibility. How silly of me to have an opinion.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

What if? What if? Yes, things turned out well. But don't think for a second the lease agreement was "luck". That, and The Trust directive to keep the team local, were planned. Someone would have stepped in if not Pegula or Golisano. Ralph made it near impossible for anyone thinking of buying the team to move it. No doubt that was intentional.

Where oh where is this directive in the Trust?????? No such directive exists - what does exist is a Lease keeping team here 6 years