SI Don Banks: Playing EJ in the final game is a no lose scenario

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this writer seems to be implying that risking EJ playing in this last game is a no lose scenario even if EJ gets hurt, wow:

There’s talent galore in Buffalo, on defense and at the skill positions on offense. Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but the Bills' quarterback play is what is holding them back. Maybe getting the start in Buffalo’s preseason finale against visiting Detroit on Thursday night will be some sort of last-minute difference-maker for Manuel. At this point, Buffalo may not have all that much to lose by taking the gamble of playing him in a meaningless game.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/quarterback-situations-shaun-hill-matt-schaub-robert-griffin-iii

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can find some reasons to agree with the idea. Number one being that EJ needs the practice.

But on the other hand, if you are going to play EJ a lot, then you have to play the other starters on offense a lot. Otherwise it isn't going to be a really good experience builder for EJ. And if you are going to play all the other starters a lot, then you are taking a major injury risk. So play him a few series until he gets a TD. Then pull the starters.

I can find some reasons to agree with the idea. Number one being that EJ needs the practice.

But on the other hand, if you are going to play EJ a lot, then you have to play the other starters on offense a lot. Otherwise it isn't going to be a really good experience builder for EJ. And if you are going to play all the other starters a lot, then you are taking a major injury risk. So play him a few series until he gets a TD. Then pull the starters.

Agreed, While I'm not totally against him playing a few series, I'd rather he do it with the 1st string OL. EJ getting injured is the big loss in this "no lose" scenario.

They need to just let him air it out. If he doesnt complete a single pass. Just go deeper than 10 yds every pass. Ints need to be learned to be forgotten and he needs to see how it feels to get the ball deep and intermediate distances within a game. Dont check down just throw. Read. Learn. Grow

What's he going to get out of a couple of series vs scrubs that he hasn't already gotten in a full off season, mini camps, training camp, and 4 pre season games? If some Lion scrub takes his knee out and we have to start Tuel Time or Jordon Plamer vs the Bears next week, things could get real ugly.

Just let him get some mental reps on the sidelines. It's just not worth the gamble with our only real QB.

They need to just let him air it out. If he doesnt complete a single pass. Just go deeper than 10 yds every pass. Ints need to be learned to be forgotten and he needs to see how it feels to get the ball deep and intermediate distances within a game. Dont check down just throw. Read. Learn. Grow

What he said. It seems to me the best qb's throw both a lot of int's and td's their first few seasons. Then gradually the int's fall off as they learn to read defenses better. The mediocre qb's throw few of either because they're timid and so never learn much. Kelly drove me crazy with his interceptions, even in his prime. But he never stopped going for it. At the least E.J. should air it out in the preseason.

I love this.

I mean, isnt this what the preseason is for? Isnt this what practice is for? LEARN by DOING. Not by watching film.

If anyone on the starting O-line or offense gets hurt playing with scrubs, it could alter our season. It's not like their going to put EJ out there with all 2 / 3 stringers starting. Sammy got a knee to the ribs in the preseason which sidelined him, so should we risk his health for no gain ??

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

This^^^^^

It's hardly practice for EJ when it's not the starters.

If the Bills aren't going to run their regular offense, then why bother even playing EJ? I'm not talking about game planning, but running their full gambit of plays. Running the same 5-6 plays over and over again isn't going to do much for him. The whole idea of "not showing their hand" is pretty idiotic. After game one in the regular season everybody will have seen their offense anyway, so why not use the practice game to actually practice running the real offense? If they're not going to do it then just use the game for player evaluations and move on. EJ - nor any starters - need to play in that scenario.

Yeah...apparently this guy has not seen our depth at backup QB.

No kidding. There is no player more important to the Bills' season than EJ. Losing him would be more devastating than losing Mario or Watkins. The gap between him and the guys behind him is huge.