Listening to Doug Marrone is like listening to nothing at all

It's weird. A little hypnotic. He went on for a couple minutes yesterday on one answer, and by the time he was done I had forgotten the question. I hope he's on top of it. Because if he's just making things up because he doesn't have a good answer he reminds me of my 12 year old son.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not say this as a judgement of his coaching skills (I am still very much in the undecided crowd on that), but I think his PC's are pretty brutal. He is only a shade more interesting than Dick Jauron. There was a time when I would listen to every PC given by a Bills coach, QB, and most others... but I actually liked listening to Chan Gailey.

I don't give a bleepity-bleep what any HC says in these press conferences -- they don't like them and only do them because the league mandates it. I think last year, because it was a new job, Marrone went out of his way early on to be forthcoming, and all it did was encourage the media to pile on (remember the Mario injury stuff?).

This year he's definitely taking on more of a Parcells/Coughlin/Belichick mode with respect to his approach.

Bottom line -- the PCs don't mean a damn thing about the "state of the team" or anything else important. I think the coaches are probably lying or telling half-truths the majority of the time anyway.

It's weird. A little hypnotic. He went on for a couple minutes yesterday on one answer, and by the time he was done I had forgotten the question. I hope he's on top of it. Because if he's just making things up because he doesn't have a good answer he reminds me of my 12 year old son.

The acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree I guess.

Greg Popovich simply isn't HC material. Ever heard his interview answers? The guy just isn't cut out for coaching.

Two days ago, he got asked 3 questions by one reporter and he said: Let me start by answering the first one. His answer was 1 sentence. THen he looked to the other side. THe reporter said how the other questions. And then he says: Oh yeah, there were more questions. Obviously Marrone is screwing around with the media. Often answering the questions long winded saying nothing.

I rather this than Darryl Sutter, Popowich and Bilicheat. All ignorant !@#$s.

I guess it's all a matter of if you like him or not...these are the words of a Pat's fan..."Bill Belichick press conferences have quickly become my favorite thing about football in New England. His gruff, non-answer Q & A sessions with the media are comically absurd. “It is what it is” covers everything from next week’s opponent to Tim Tebow to defensive coverages to Aaron Hernandez. In other words, Belichick has perfected the art of saying nothing by saying something."

Great thread title.

After the press conference last year where he was announced and HC and spoke to us for the first time I made the observation, "the guy can talk for hours and say nothing." He IS good (at that).

And your diagnosis is based on what criteria?

One could diagnose this with a 6-10 record I suppose.

Great thread title.

After the press conference last year where he was announced and HC and spoke to us for the first time I made the observation, "the guy can talk for hours and say nothing." He IS good (at that).

One could diagnose this with a 6-10 record I suppose.

In his first year? Get out the tar and feathers!

I could care less what is said in an interview, I personally like the way he coaches and think he gets it. If the Bills keep changing coaches every two years they will never build a winner. I think DM and DW are to the point where they have the good players in key spots to fulfill their vision. The big question is the QB

"Great football coaches have the vision to see, the faith to believe, the courage to do... and 25 great players." - Marv Levy

+1

Great post. Two years is really not even enough time to judge how good a HC is, but I will wait until at least after this year is well underway to pass judgement on Marrone.

I like that he seems to really push his players, and expects a lot out of them. Win 8 or 9 and he's on the right track. Win 6 or less and I don't think he or Whaley will be back.