EJ and an excellent dissection of what happened against Tampa

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ was rattled vs the 1st string D for whatever reason. just like when they played them in the regular season last year. not sure why, who do they have on D that is so good?

theyve pretty consistently invested in pass rushers, and McCoy might be the best young DT around. add to that a pretty talented secondary.... and lavonte david is a very good young lb.... on paper, they should be one of the best Ds in the game

Edited by NoSaint

EJ was rattled vs the 1st string D for whatever reason. just like when they played them in the regular season last year. not sure why, who do they have on D that is so good?

when the 2nd string D came in you could see him calm down and stand in the pocket and make his throws. was the pass protection that much better and the receivers were that much more open? i think it was more mental than anything. he seemed more confident

Looked like he had the extra half-second to throw the ball, which can make all the difference. The problem, IMO, is that 3 seconds is all a QB can reasonably expect to have on a consistent basis in the NFL. If a team is giving up more time than that, DCs will start sending more pressure. That was my biggest beef with EJ against TB: he needs to stand tall and deliver the ball accurately within those 3 seconds. I know it's difficult, but this is the NFL, and that's what it takes.

It's a possibility, but definitely not a given. There's no way to be sure of that.

Exactly, that's the best hope that the light goes on. But Kelso was almost dismissive of the possibility that there should be a concern heading into the regular season.

I liked the play where Wood snapped the ball, and then ran directly into Pears, allowing TB to tackle FJ for a loss.

Apparently only Wood and EJ knew the snap count. The rest of the line was taken totally by surprise.

I thought that one play really summed up what a total cluster !@#$ of a performance the Bills put on the whole day.

Edited by Joe Miner

I watched the home Jets game last season on my new, free Game Rewind subscription. :D That was EJ's best game so he is capable of playing well. Just got to do that more often.

and in that game he was under constant duress along with virtually no run game. He got a hot hand and carried the team. The thing is you can't expect a young QB to do that every game!!

The running game has got to work in order for this kid to build confidence, game after game. Fans forget that when things start to go wrong a QB starts to lose confidence and starts to become more careful with the ball, and that is just the way it is.

Philip Rivers comes to mind as a QB who was beaten down by a bad line, and forced to try and shoulder the team every game. Summery, that Its a task difficult even for experienced QB's. Matt Ryan and last years Falcons really stand out where that is true.

when the 2nd string D came in you could see him calm down and stand in the pocket and make his throws. was the pass protection that much better and the receivers were that much more open? i think it was more mental than anything. he seemed more confident

Gerald McCoy ring any bells? That Bucs D line handed the Bills O line their proverbial rear ends in last years game, and that was with a lame duck HC and a not so gifted DC. Also with a 20th ranked defense.

This year the Buc's * have Lovie Smith as HC, and Leslie Frasier as DC. Even tho the game planning was probably vanilla on the Buc's side, I'd say that defense will be a top 10 unit this season.

There are solid reasons why EJ looked so uncomfortable, and didn't play well in that game, and many just choose to ignore most of them. Focusing on the QB and giving him all the blame happens a lot!

BTW, Thanks for posting this OP :thumbsup:

Edited by FeartheLosing

and in that game he was under constant duress along with virtually no run game. He got a hot hand and carried the team. The thing is you can't expect a young QB to do that every game!!

The running game has got to work in order for this kid to build confidence, game after game. Fans forget that when things start to go wrong a QB starts to lose confidence and starts to become more careful with the ball, and that is just the way it is.

Philip Rivers comes to mind as a QB who was beaten down by a bad line, and forced to try and shoulder the team every game. Summery, that Its a task difficult even for experienced QB's. Matt Ryan and last years Falcons really stand out where that is true.

Gerald McCoy ring any bells? That Bucs D line handed the Bills O line their proverbial rear ends in last years game, and that was with a lame duck HC and a not so gifted DC. Also with a 20th ranked defense.

This year the Buc's * have Lovie Smith as HC, and Leslie Frasier as DC. Even tho the game planning was probably vanilla on the Buc's side, I'd say that defense will be a top 10 unit this season.

There are solid reasons why EJ looked so uncomfortable, and didn't play well in that game, and many just choose to ignore most of them. Focusing on the QB and giving him all the blame happens a lot!

BTW, Thanks for posting this OP :thumbsup:

http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Review-Bills-Bucs-Horror-film/17938266

Just a review. Also worth noting again: blame the OL for their play, AND blame the QB for his.

Good point. Marrone needs to lighten it up a little in some of his interviews. That was an excellent broadcast so thanks for sharing.

Coach speak. You'll always hear stuff like this when things aren't going well.

Just finished listening.

Anyone who insists on harping about how poor EJ played should really...REALLY listen to the interview.

Agree.

In summary our method of losing preseason games is not sustainable?

Good Point WSS, Kelso backs up that philosophy.

1) what is EJ doing mechanically wrong?

2) what is EJ not doing mentally?

3) what is EJ doing performance wise (accuracy, consistency, and the whole getting the ball where HE wants it?)

If the crowd can answer those questions than they will find how they actually view Mr Manuel.

So what you're saying is, somebody needs to send EJ a DVD copy of "Frozen"?

I can sing the whole song by heart and I am proud of it. I love the song and movie. Its on my gym mix. Fits in well between Slipknot and Motley Crue Edited by jboyst62

1) what is EJ doing mechanically wrong?

He pats the ball and over-strides when he's letting plays develop. I've noticed that sometimes he'll step into his throw two, three times, until he's off balance and throwing flat footed.

2) what is EJ not doing mentally?

How could any of us possibly know?

3) what is EJ doing performance wise (accuracy, consistency, and the whole getting the ball where HE wants it?)

Plainly put, he misses throws sometimes. But he doesn't miss them by a mile like Fitz did. And now he has a receiver in Watkins who would have caught three of those misfires from Saturday (wrong shoulder to Williams, down the seam to Woods, Woods slipping). It really doesn't concern me that much

If the crowd can answer those questions than they will find how they actually view Mr Manuel.

I can sing the whole song by heart and I am proud of it. I love the song and movie. Its on my gym mix. Fits in well between Slipknot and Motley Crue

I think those who are concerned about EJ's future with the BILLS are concerned with just one thing: consistency. Can EJ consistently show up on game day and play to his full potential...that's the issue, at least in my mind. EJ is a very gifted QB but I'm concerned about his ability to mentally process the speed of the NFL Defenses and if his football acumen is sufficient enough to lead the Offense beyond the moments his physical ability gets him through it. Because as much as "vanilla" the BILLS' Offense was, so most likely are the Defenses he's facing. So, while I see great potential in EJ, I'm concerned that his ability remains captured in his mind and unable to be released through his play on the field...not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it...and of course, because I am a true BILLS fan I want him to succeed and sincerely hope the BILLS already have their Franchise QB for the next 15 years in uniform, in the person of EJ Manuel, but I'm not convinced...yet. So, here's to Chicago, Week 1, and hoping EJ plays lights out and the Bears go back to hibernating and the BILLS stampede back home with a victory!!

Edit: and thank you to the OP who linked the interview, nice and balanced as others have said and refreshing!

The internal inconsistency here is stark. You can not be a "very gifted QB" and also "not able to process NFL speed". EJ is blessed with the famouse "protypical size" and "arm strength". Much like Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were.

None of them were able to "process NFL speed". Also Leaf and Russell did not have EJ's apparent work ethic. But in addition to those guys the historical NFL landscape is littered with guys who had prototypical size and arm strength. The mental aspect of the game, reading defense and processing NFL speed is what separates very gifted athletes from very gifted QBs. At this stage EJ has demonstrated that he is a gifted athlete, but not yet demonstrated that he is a gifted QB.

#1- mark kelso is PAID to say nice things about the bills.

#2- EJ is mediocre and from the looks of things he's going to stay that way.

Its not clear to me why fans would think anything posted on BuffaloBills.com as "journalism" would be objective. Its a public relations and marketing site, not a news site.

I also saw EJ go 10-10 for over 100 yards and a td pass...back to back td drives. yes it was against back ups, but it still happened. I also saw offensive linemen miss assignments and hold, receivers slip an drop passes also...but yeah, all falls on EJ. of course it does!