EJ and an excellent dissection of what happened against Tampa

There's been an awful lot of criticism thrown at our starting QB over the last several weeks. Some of it is deserved, some if it is slightly misinformed and some of it shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of what your watching.

Mark Kelso did a great breakdown on the John Murphy show. I'd highly recommend that you listen to it if you want to improve your football IQ (and not look stupid when you post)!

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/au...2-8538ee8cf53d

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been an awful lot of criticism thrown at our starting QB over the last several weeks. Some of it is deserved, some if it is slightly misinformed and some of it shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of what your watching.

Mark Kelso did a great breakdown on the John Murphy show. I'd highly recommend that you listen to it if you want to improve your football IQ (and not look stupid when you post)!

http://www.buffalobi....2-8538ee8cf53d

I was going to post the same Kelso interview. :thumbsup: It should give some of the more vocal anti-EJ posters pause before going on rants without any basis in reality.

Thanks for posting.

Good segment; overall not much different than what many of us have said:

- OL was bad in spots

- EJ had opportunities, some he made, some he missed

- Nobody should expect to get more than 3 seconds to deliver the ball

- EJ needs to stop thinking and let it go

I was going to post the same Kelso interview. :thumbsup: It should give some of the more vocal anti-EJ posters pause before going on rants without any basis in reality.

I think it also supports the pro-EJ posters who think he had a pretty lousy performance (like myself). No question there were things he did well, but IMO it was more bad than good.

Great listening. But I'd add that Marrone complicates the picture well coloured by Kelso... Marrone on offense during TV interview before halftime: "We're really playing awful."

Good point. Marrone needs to lighten it up a little in some of his interviews. That was an excellent broadcast so thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting.

- OL was bad in spots

I think it also supports the pro-EJ posters who think he had a pretty lousy performance (like myself). No question there were things he did well, but IMO it was more bad than good.

Definitely a mixed bag for EJ. Balanced, fair criticism of EJ shouldn't be too much to ask.

EJ did not look great by any means but he didnt get much help either. With a guy falling down on his rout make EJ look bad with a pick instead of a first down completion. Some major blocking assignment Fups in pass protection. To top it off a long pass brought back due to penalty, and the long run drought back also.

Thanks for posting.

- OL was bad in spots

thanks for some talking points on what was discussed- always appreciated on video/audio.

I don't know if Kelso said anything different than what most people have been saying about EJ. No one disagrees that EJ is a superior athlete, and that allows him to make great plays at times.

But, he also agreed with EJ's robotic play this offseason.

Still, Kelso is doing a bit of projection for the regular season and makes it sound like it will be a given - he thinks that EJ is being robotic now because he wants to work on the fundamentals that Dowling is teaching him and that once the regular season rolls, EJ will go back to his more natural style. Don't you find that assertion a bit contradictory? What makes him so confident that EJ will be able to flip the switch on? What's the point of drilling fundamentals and retraining him if he's going to abandon it in the regular season? Aren't they changing his style because they don't think it would be successful in the NFL and he can't get away with pure athleticism like he did in college?

There was a lot of hopeful talk in Kelso's analysis.

If EJ repeats his mid 70's passer rating from last year and this preseason, that will be good enough for him to remain the starter throughout the season. It also pretty much means no playoffs as its almost unheard of in the last five years for a team with a passer rating that low to make the playoffs. At the end of the season their will be a debate about whether or not it was "good" 70's or a "bad" 70's rating. In either case he will be the presumptive starter going into 2015. The only issue will be whether or not their will be a second or third round QB to provide a tiny bit of competition in camp, or a veteran retread to do that. None of this will provide the fan base much hope. Unfortunately all signs point to a team passer rating in the 70's.

On the other hand if EJ can string together 16 games equivalent to his best 3 or 4 games last year, the team will make the playoffs and all the QB discussion can be ended for a time.

Definitely a mixed bag for EJ. Balanced, fair criticism of EJ shouldn't be too much to ask.

Key word: shouldn't. :lol:

I think most folks have been more-or-less fair. It's just that the few that aren't tend to stick out like sore thumbs, ya know?

thanks for some talking points on what was discussed- always appreciated on video/audio.

No sweat.

Don't you find that assertion a bit contradictory? What makes him so confident that EJ will be able to flip the switch on? What's the point of drilling fundamentals and retraining him if he's going to abandon it in the regular season? Aren't they changing his style because they don't think it would be successful in the NFL and he can't get away with pure athleticism like he did in college?

a bit, but perhaps not entirely contradictory. if he really focuses on thinking about process now, when he goes out and "just plays" some of those habits are likely to stick. how many, and whether they work is a whole different beast that would just be guessing on our parts.

I don't know if Kelso said anything different than what most people have been saying about EJ. No one disagrees that EJ is a superior athlete, and that allows him to make great plays at times.

But, he also agreed with EJ's robotic play this offseason.

Still, Kelso is doing a bit of projection for the regular season and makes it sound like it will be a given - he thinks that EJ is being robotic now because he wants to work on the fundamentals that Dowling is teaching him and that once the regular season rolls, EJ will go back to his more natural style. Don't you find that assertion a bit contradictory? What makes him so confident that EJ will be able to flip the switch on? What's the point of drilling fundamentals and retraining him if he's going to abandon it in the regular season? Aren't they changing his style because they don't think it would be successful in the NFL and he can't get away with pure athleticism like he did in college?

There was a lot of hopeful talk in Kelso's analysis.

Kelso also mentioned how much EJ has improved in a number of areas. This is something his harshest critics fail to ever post. Not sure if it's intentional or out of ignorance.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

a bit, but perhaps not entirely contradictory. if he really focuses on thinking about process now, when he goes out and "just plays" some of those habits are likely to stick. how many, and whether they work is a whole different beast that would just be guessing on our parts.

Totally agree, but Kelso presented it as if it's a given that everything will be fine once the regular season rolls.

I think those who are concerned about EJ's future with the BILLS are concerned with just one thing: consistency. Can EJ consistently show up on game day and play to his full potential...that's the issue, at least in my mind. EJ is a very gifted QB but I'm concerned about his ability to mentally process the speed of the NFL Defenses and if his football acumen is sufficient enough to lead the Offense beyond the moments his physical ability gets him through it. Because as much as "vanilla" the BILLS' Offense was, so most likely are the Defenses he's facing. So, while I see great potential in EJ, I'm concerned that his ability remains captured in his mind and unable to be released through his play on the field...not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it...and of course, because I am a true BILLS fan I want him to succeed and sincerely hope the BILLS already have their Franchise QB for the next 15 years in uniform, in the person of EJ Manuel, but I'm not convinced...yet. So, here's to Chicago, Week 1, and hoping EJ plays lights out and the Bears go back to hibernating and the BILLS stampede back home with a victory!!

Edit: and thank you to the OP who linked the interview, nice and balanced as others have said and refreshing!

Edited by BigBuff423

EJ was rattled vs the 1st string D for whatever reason. just like when they played them in the regular season last year. not sure why, who do they have on D that is so good?

when the 2nd string D came in you could see him calm down and stand in the pocket and make his throws. was the pass protection that much better and the receivers were that much more open? i think it was more mental than anything. he seemed more confident