Bills sign QB Jordan Palmer

FluffHead

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 tds, 1 INT last season.

35 year old vet and it took that ratio to have tds edge out ints for his career.

He was out of the league playing ufl ball and is on his 8th nfl team. If JP losman has a hot handful of games filling in somewhere is he suddenly a slam dunk?

Edited by NoSaint

35 year old vet and it took that ratio to have tds edge out ints for his career.

He was out of the league playing ufl ball and is on his 8th nfl team. If JP losman has a hot handful of games filling in somewhere is he suddenly a slam dunk?

No he's not a slam dunk, but I find it hard to believe EJ could beat him out in an open competition. So, I object to not trying to improve depth at the QB position in an attempt to preserve the confidence of a dubious starter.

a free agent QB who was 1st is Total QBR and 3rd in Passer rating in 8 games.

we don't need anyone like that (sarcasm)

You don't give up on a #1 pick after 10 games and McKown was looking to start. No GM would have given McKown the starter job and he wasn't going to sign without it or the clear path to it. The Bills had no chance at McKown unless you promised him the starter job and that would have been stupid.

If they considered signing Kolb in 2013 to presumably backup a rookie, doesn't it make sense to seek a veteran after a season in which that now-2nd year man started 10 times?

it does, unless you're terrified that the 1st round pick may not be as good as advertised and the veteran shows something in TC. If anything, OBD has avoided anything resembling a QB controversy like the plague going back about 10 years.

You don't give up on a #1 pick after 10 games and McKown was looking to start. No GM would have given McKown the starter job and he wasn't going to sign without it or the clear path to it. The Bills had no chance at McKown unless you promised him the starter job and that would have been stupid.

That is correct McCown was not considering signing with a team where there was a clear incumbent. He is 35 and wants to start. He is parlaying throwing to the best WR pair into the league into a nice FA contract and a chance to start. His 112 yard performance with 1TD and 1 INT on Saturday is about where he will be in the regular season in Tampa imo.

1.) McCown didn't want to sign behind EJ on the Bills

2.) I don't believe it is a forgone conclusion that McCown in Buffalo is an improvement and/or will Lead to more wins; which is what is ultimately about.

So its much ado about nothing, (like usual)

If they considered signing Kolb in 2013 to presumably backup a rookie, doesn't it make sense to seek a veteran after a season in which that now-2nd year man started 10 times?

it does, unless you're terrified that the 1st round pick may not be as good as advertised and the veteran shows something in TC. If anything, OBD has avoided anything resembling a QB controversy like the plague going back about 10 years.

They brought in Kolb to start last year but EJ beat him out.

You're right though. They didn't want any competition for him this year and now they are in panic mode for the backup position. It's really bad planning by a guy, Whaley, who otherwise has shown a very good ability to build a roster and a team. It could be his downfall. EJ better stay healthy. But backup QB is an important position on any team. And ours is about 49th in a 32 team league.

I liked/like McCown. Thought he played better for the Bears than Cutler.

Who knows if Whaley spoke with him? Just because the Bills didn't sign him, he may have had conversations with his agent. Whether he did or did not, I'm sure he knew McCown wasn't coming here, unless Marrone was willing to sit EJ for a year or two. Some here would make that move. I doubt Marrone would, nor would I.

So does Lovie Smith. And we all know that guy sucks.

Yeah, that's funny how short memories get around here. Should I dig up all the "I don't want a failed retread like Lovie Smith" threads?

a free agent QB who was 1st is Total QBR and 3rd in Passer rating in 8 games.

we don't need anyone like that (sarcasm)

And I can 100% predict the reaction the minute he'd have a bad game, which he certainly would have. "F***in' Bills signing this washed up has-been. I'm so done with this team"

Edited by PromoTheRobot

no one is Guaranteed anything. you play the person who gives you the best chance to win this season.

except if your inept like the Bills and declare ahead of time you are all in with a mediocre EJ. then wait til the last minute and sign all new backups who will take months to learn the playbook.

the Bills could have used some of their $8 mil in cap space or better yet, some of that $23 mil in Dead Money they are wasting, to get a proven free agent QB in here.

i'm sure McCown could see an easy path to starting with an injury prone, ineffective, 28th ranked QB in his way.

whats another season or two to give EJ all the time he needs to prove he will never be a Franchise QB (sarcasm).

EJ is NOT ready and the Bills continue to mishandle the QB situation under Whaley.

but there's hope for next season when the new owner cleans house (sarcasm)and we don't have a first round pick.

They brought in Kolb to start last year but EJ beat him out.

You're right though. They didn't want any competition for him this year and now they are in panic mode for the backup position. It's really bad planning by a guy, Whaley, who otherwise has shown a very good ability to build a roster and a team. It could be his downfall. EJ better stay healthy. But backup QB is an important position on any team. And ours is about 49th in a 32 team league.

The kind of contract Kolb received (2 yrs 6.1M) indicates to me they considered him a backup, but I digress.

Agree on the bad planning part, which makes me wonder if it's more important they protect their reputation as new ownership enters the situation or if they're invested in winning games. That said, it's far too late to be looking for a backup QB. There aren't any left and the time to be charting a course was in January, not August.

the Bills could have used some of their $8 mil in cap space or better yet, some of that $23 mil in Dead Money they are wasting, to get a proven free agent QB in here.

http://www.kffl.com/...s/fa.php?y=2015

Here's the FA QB list for 2015. Pick a winner.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

no one is Guaranteed anything. you play the person who gives you the best chance to win this season.

except if your inept like the Bills and declare ahead of time you are all in with a mediocre EJ. then wait til the last minute and sign all new backups who will take months to learn the playbook.

i'm sure McCown could see an easy path to starting with an injury prone, ineffective, 28th ranked QB in his way.

whats another season or two to give EJ all the time he needs to prove he will never be a Franchise QB (sarcasm).

EJ is NOT ready and the Bills continue to mishandle the QB situation under Whaley.

but there's hope for next season when the new owner cleans house (sarcasm)and we don't have a first round pick.

Actually we've already been through this, Who specifically could they have gotten?

McCown understands how the backup QB and NFL franchises work probably better than you. If a team drafts a QB in the 1st round in 2013 then signs a vet FA QB in 2014, generally the entire franchise is there trying to support the 1st round pick as the starter and the veteran FA 's job is generally to demonstrate how to be a pro to the young QB. That might be how McCown might see the situation but who knows.

But it is fun to vent about what they could have done with Josh Freeman or Matt Flynn, right?

http://www.kffl.com/...s/fa.php?y=2015

Here's the FA QB list for 2015. Pick a winner.

Jimmy Clausen

Trent Edwards

Jason Campbell

and on and on.

How could you NOT pick a winner?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Anyone really believe he is an upgrade over Dixon or Thad? Not that I was a big fan of either of those guys, but this move has me scratching my head...

It doesn't appear to be a stellar move. I guess we will see what he's got in 54 hours or so.

Anyone really believe he is an upgrade over Dixon or Thad? Not that I was a big fan of either of those guys, but this move has me scratching my head...

There really is no point in this move. So you bring in what could be considered another camp arm. You pick his brain a bit about Chicago's offense, and then what? He's another voice in the cacophony of people steering EJ for better or worse? EJ goes down with an injury and he steps in and does what exactly? The same thing Tuel could do, which is running an offense at about a C-.