Bills sign QB Jordan Palmer

FluffHead

http://www.kffl.com/...s/fa.php?y=2015

Here's the FA QB list for 2015. Pick a winner.

I have to say that Colt McCoy looks like a really good option. The redskins got him, and envision him as RG3's long-term backup, probably moving Cousins at some point.

But, I can't fault the Bills for failing to grab McCoy. If you asked me whether he was better than last year's version of Thad, I would have said they are about even--maybe Thad is a bit better. That Thad totally regressed was something I am not sure anyone saw coming.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The kind of contract Kolb received (2 yrs 6.1M) indicates to me they considered him a backup, but I digress.

Those were the base numbers for Kolb's contract. There were also escalators in the contract based upon his number of starts. IIRC he would have earned in excess of $8M had he started most of the season last year.

Those were the base numbers for Kolb's contract. There were also escalators in the contract based upon his number of starts. IIRC he would have earned in excess of $8M had he started most of the season last year.

Plus he couldn't demand much more than that anywhere because of his durability issues. They pretty much said flat out that they brought him in to have every chance to start and wanted to draft a QB in the first round whom he would mentor. Then immediately Kolb looked horrible and EJ looked better than they expected early. Kolb may have gotten worse, and then he got hurt, twice.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yeah, that's funny how short memories get around here. Should I dig up all the "I don't want a failed retread like Lovie Smith" threads?

And I can 100% predict the reaction the minute he'd have a bad game, which he certainly would have. "F***in' Bills signing this washed up has-been. I'm so done with this team"

Do you have problems telling people apart? I wanted Lovie the second he got canned.

You seem to blame every poster on here for conflicting points and then call us hypocrites. I'm sure if EJ sucks, you'll tell me how much I supported him and how "fans" have short memories and are hypocrites.

That is correct McCown was not considering signing with a team where there was a clear incumbent. He is 35 and wants to start. He is parlaying throwing to the best WR pair into the league into a nice FA contract and a chance to start. His 112 yard performance with 1TD and 1 INT on Saturday is about where he will be in the regular season in Tampa imo.

1.) McCown didn't want to sign behind EJ on the Bills

2.) I don't believe it is a forgone conclusion that McCown in Buffalo is an improvement and/or will Lead to more wins; which is what is ultimately about.

So its much ado about nothing, (like usual)

Why not tell McCown, "the starting job is up for grabs, if you win it in camp, you start."

Would McCown have still started for TB if Glennon looked a million times better? Nope. Why we don't bring in competition is beyond me.

@JonTWCNews

Jordan Palmer making first throws in #Bills uniform

Bv-luKXIcAAEEZT.jpg

Great, another guy who throws into the turf.

Why not tell McCown, "the starting job is up for grabs, if you win it in camp, you start."

Would McCown have still started for TB if Glennon looked a million times better? Nope. Why we don't bring in competition is beyond me.

Would be great if he would hit some Bills' fans in the face. :lol:

@buffalobills

PHOTO: QB Jordan Palmer tosses a pass in his first practice with the #Bills. pic.twitter.com/Zb3iUyTL2A

The issue isn't what's available now, the issue is why did this FO put us into this situation in the first place. No Plan B !!!!

1- They could have drafted a QB in middle rounds as a backup and contingency (Savage, McCarron and/or Mettenberger)

2- They could have signed a vet backup and have them push EJ and compete (Vick, McCown)

3- They could have made a trade (Cousins, Hoyer)

4- They could have kept their 1st round pick in 2015, just in case EJ isn't the guy

Good organizations contingency plan. This one isn't good and didn't.

All eggs are still in the EJ basket. If he isn't the guy, we are screwed this year and most likely next year.

Let's all hope EJ is good, because for this FO, HOPE IS A PLAN

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

With a 109 qb rating last year, McCown still had a lower qb rating than Lewis. Considering Lewis was much younger, there was good reason to believe he would improve. He didn't.

And like it or not, the Bills don't have your 13 year old mindset. EJ is their guy and he will be their guy through all the ups and downs.

The issue isn't what's available now, the issue is why did this FO put us into this situation in the first place. No Plan B !!!!

1- They could have drafted a QB in middle rounds as a backup and contingency (Savage, McCarron and/or Mettenberger)

2- They could have signed a vet backup and have them push EJ and compete (Vick, McCown)

4- They could have kept their 1st round pick in 2015, just in case EJ isn't the guy

All eggs are still in the EJ basket. If he isn't the guy, we are screwed this year and most likely next year.

Coming into the year, none of those guys looked better than Thad as a backup. This is all hindsight because Thad crapped the bed.

I won't have minded a flyer on a guy like Aaron Murray but they aren't saving the season either.

With a 109 qb rating last year, McCown still had a lower qb rating than Lewis. Considering Lewis was much younger, there was good reason to believe he would improve. He didn't.

And like it or not, the Bills don't have your 13 year old mindset. EJ is their guy and he will be their guy through all the ups and downs.

I'm sorry but if you have 2 QB's on your roster and you DON'T start the one who plays better, you should be fired. I don't think that's a 13 year old mindset. A 13 year old mindset would be to plug your ears, make sure no one on the roster can challenge your decisions, and hope for the best.

Did you tell the FO that bad preseasons don't mean anything yet?

Hard to argue with any of this. 2nd year in a row that there is nothing behind Manuel. Negligence to treat most important position like this. Should've taken Nassib in 4th round last year instead of Duke Williams. Can't wait for players to fall in your lap and hope things work out when it comes to QB.

I'm sorry but if you have 2 QB's on your roster and you DON'T start the one who plays better, you should be fired. I don't think that's a 13 year old mindset. A 13 year old mindset would be to plug your ears, make sure no one on the roster can challenge your decisions, and hope for the best.

Did you tell the FO that bad preseasons don't mean anything yet?

If you don't understand that a first round draft will be treated differently than a 13 year old journeyman who had one year of success, I don't know what to tell you.

Hard to argue with any of this. 2nd year in a row that there is nothing behind Manuel. Negligence to treat most important position like this. Should've taken Nassib in 4th round last year instead of Duke Williams. Can't wait for players to fall in your lap and hope things work out when it comes to QB.

No one wanted Nassib last year after he was a disaster last preseason. Again, this is all hindsight.

I thought they would have learned their lesson after Nix ignored the position while he was GM. We just have to hope EJ works out and improves.

Here is one all you Anti-Ejites can frame: "The one thing we dont want to do is just to hold on to people just to make ourselves look right, general manager Doug Whaley told Ben Volin of the Boston Globe on Monday. Thats a lesson weve learned. Hey, lets cut bait and move on."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=buffalo-bills&id=12542&src=desktop

Edited by Why So Serious?

And if you're the Bills, given KK's injury history, you put all the escalators in that contract you can. Cause he wasn't going to meet any of them with that kind of injury history.