Please watch this! Especially at 2:45

PO'14

If things were so different why did they think it was ok for the third quarter against backups but not in the first against the Tampa starters? Doesn't make any sense.

There wasn't anything different other then they were playing against backups and were actually able to execute which says a lot about the Bills starters.

Because they got booed off the field at halftime and someone probably got their a$$ reamed. Again a quote from Steve Tasker before the half " the Bills seem to be running FOUR PLAYS". Why would he even think of saying it if it's not true.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I saw it....

1.) Snap...sack

2.) Snap...run...penalty

3.) Snap...fumble

4.) Snap..Incomplete pass ( Please note - Chandler falling down screwed up the incompletion and caused the INT. The INT was not by design, we are saving that play for Chicago in week 1)

That actually is pretty funny. :thumbsup:

I guess a good question to ask is why did Hackett wait so long in the preseason to actually start calling effective plays? Why couldn't we see more plays like we saw in the 2nd half in the first 3 preseason games?

Did Marrone and Hackett only start calling those plays so the 1st team offense could score on Tampa's backup defense just to try and save face?

I believe your theory 100%. But I also believe both Hackett and Marrone are half-brains on offense

People said the same about Wannstedt's defense in the preseason. It's vanilla and we don't want to show too much blah blah blah. We went on to have a historically bad defense.

I don't care if it's vanilla or not, the offense isn't executing what is being called and that's a problem. I'm not foolish enough to assume that they will flip some magic switch and our offense will become potent and Hackett will turn into some offensive guru a few days before we play the Bears.

A lot of other teams can move the ball and score TDs while having the same vanilla play calling as we do. It looks to me that our vanilla play calls are lot worse than other teams'.

I don;t understand why you wouldn't want to work on something during games and what are they possibly going to run that a team will not be able to adjust to fairly quickly. Imo with Ej I would rather run the full offense as often as possible . We will see soon enough

Because teams want to win that first game very badly and even one play held back for that first game can result in a touchdown or put the team in position to score a touchdown. If the Bills have a 7-0 lead on Chicago early on, the whole "easy win" feeling of the Bears could turn into that team pressing and making mistakes.

Now having said that, I think Marrone and Hackett did this offense a disservice for going overboard on this preseason "vanilla" play calling model. You have to give your QB/team confidence and let them have a few easy big plays in preseason by expanding the play book a little bit.

I'm very interested to see the play calling in that first game. It had better be an aggressive game plan IMO, or the Bills won't win. You need to quickly throw points on the board on the road to rattle the home team.

People said the same about Wannstedt's defense in the preseason. It's vanilla and we don't want to show too much blah blah blah. We went on to have a historically bad defense.

I don't care if it's vanilla or not, the offense isn't executing what is being called and that's a problem. I'm not foolish enough to assume that they will flip some magic switch and our offense will become potent and Hackett will turn into some offensive guru a few days before we play the Bears.

A lot of other teams can move the ball and score TDs while having the same vanilla play calling as we do. It looks to me that our vanilla play calls are lot worse than other teams'.

The vanilla argument is BS. It's preseason for the other team too. Guys need to win plays, no matter how fancy or vanilla they are.

Because teams want to win that first game very badly and even one play held back for that first game can result in a touchdown or put the team in position to score a touchdown. If the Bills have a 7-0 lead on Chicago early on, the whole "easy win" feeling of the Bears could turn into that team pressing and making mistakes.

Now having said that, I think Marrone and Hackett did this offense a disservice for going overboard on this preseason "vanilla" play calling model. You have to give your QB/team confidence and let them have a few easy big plays in preseason by expanding the play book a little bit.

I'm very interested to see the play calling in that first game. It had better be an aggressive game plan IMO, or the Bills won't win. You need to quickly throw points on the board on the road to rattle the home team.

Good post. They definitely seem content on not showing anything, and that could hurt a young QB and a young team. Losing Watkins for almost two games may delay chemistry with EJ early on.

If things were so different why did they think it was ok for the third quarter against backups but not in the first against the Tampa starters? Doesn't make any sense.

The fact is there wasn't anything different other then they were playing against backups and were actually able to execute which says a lot about the Bills starters.

They opened up the playbook a bit in the 3rd. They ran some different plays. It was obvious. Why? Because Tampa figured out the four or five plays they continued to run in the first half and they were embarrassed by getting boo'd at home. Actually, I would say it was getting boo'd that made them do it. If the fans hadn't voiced any displeasure we would have seen the same four or five plays in the second half as well.

Edited by purple haze

They opened up the playbook a bit in the 3rd. They ran some different plays. It was obvious. Why? Because Tampa figured out the four or five plays they continued to run in the first half and they were embarrassed by getting boo'd at home.

Is Hackett's playbook so small that can only run the same plays over and over again? Or do you think he doesn't trust EJ enough to call anything else?

Don't have to buy what they're shoveling, I saw different play calling with my own eyes. If you didn't see it I would have to question what you were watching.

I saw it plainly too - anyone who didn't wasn't watching.

As for why? Maybe they were so upset about the lousy performance and the booing fans they decided to put a little out there?

They opened up the playbook a bit in the 3rd. They ran some different plays. It was obvious. Why? Because Tampa figured out the four or five plays they continued to run in the first half and they were embarrassed by getting boo'd at home. Actually, I would say it was getting boo'd that made them do it. If the fans hadn't voiced any displeasure we would have seen the same four or five plays in the second half as well.

OK - so we're thinking the same thing then. Hopefully that doesn't hurt them in the game that matters!

This is the same line of reasoning that's been peddled for the last decade over 4 different coaching staffs. Preseason doesn't matter. Bills don't game plan. The plays are very basic. Why give away the secrets before it's needed. Preseason is for player evaluation only. They'll turn it on when the real play starts.

Yet, if there's a constant over that decade is that preseason ills were a good predictor of what eventually happened in the regular season.

This is very accurate. Anyone who thinks the team's play in preseason is compeltely meaningless is kidding themselves. Sure, it's not a perfect indicator of how good they can/will be, but when an offense like ours looks like the JV squad out there, there is significant reason for concern.

they ran about 4 different run plays and the wrs only ran three different routes in the first half... didnt watch the second half but it was clear they were testing how good they could be when the d knows what theyre doing.. the answer is not good haha but not many teams can

tampa wud be wasting theyre time to watch more than 2 drives on film of the opening half.. its the same

Edited by CJallDAY

That actually is pretty funny. :thumbsup:

I have my moments.But in all seriousness yeah you could see it was the same play. At the stadium being able to see the entire field, one would think it would be even more obvious. That being said, we couldn't even look good running a handful of plays. I can't wait to see what we look like when we have to be prepared for more than 4... :bag:

Others have summed it up here very well. But fine you don't scheme or game plan against a team in preseason, but it is still football. If you have talent, are well-coached, well-disciplined and have a NFL caliber plays, your team will show something.

For the life of me I can't see what we are still trying to evaluate in game situations. How bad and unprepared we can look?

My biggest take away? Hackett is keeping it simple until the guys can get the simple things right. If true, yesterday was even woese than we thought. I mean, if you can't get the simple things right, how are you going to handle the regular NFL level stuff?

Is Hackett's playbook so small that can only run the same plays over and over again? Or do you think he doesn't trust EJ enough to call anything else?

I think he probably has a smaller playbook than some coaches, and if he's only going to run 2% of it in the preseason that may equate to only 4 plays repeatedly. I think he trusts EJ just fine (he has to), I think the play calling opened up because Marrone finally said to Hacket "cut the $#!*"

Because they got booed off the field at halftime and someone probably got their a$$ reamed. Again a quote from Steve Tasker before the half " the Bills seem to be running FOUR PLAYS". Why would he even think of saying it if it's not true.

Tasker was a great Bill, but he sucks balls as an announcer. Only one worse is his partner. I'm sure he believed that just as much as in the 2nd half when he called for a defensive hold against TB and could not believe the zebras missed it. Repeated it a couple time. Horrible non-call. Then on the replay you could clearly see there was not even any contact at all, much less a hold. Unless they are telling a story about years gone by, you can't believe anything those 2 homer clowns say during a game.

About play calling in the 2nd half changing. I can't say because I left the house at halftime and didn't get back until about the 4th I think.. But the Bills 1st offense came out against the Bucs 2nd defense from what I hear. So I'm sure the play calling changed, and changed again when the Bills 2nd's took the field.

The offense played terrible in the first half. There is no harm or shame in anyone admitting that. It was glaringly obvious. Just deal with it and move on.

Edited by CodeMonkey