TC fights, ineffectual play, is Marrone losing the team?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with happened today. In fact, I loved it. About time we had some attitude in WNY

You want to unite a team? Sometimes you need to create a common enemy. Maybe Marrone is doing that

Exactly my thought when I read this. I would bet this was calculated on Marrone's part to redirect the anger toward him. And he is right about the avoidable injuries.

the Herb Brooks approach!

That'll never work! What did he know about winning?

kj

Wonderful attempt at argument suppression. No one's entitled to have an opinion (on a message board no less) if they aren't right there with the team.

The players aren't responding to Marrone and he's frustrated. If you can't tell that from his statements to the media I don't know what to tell you. Remember the brief answers after the HOF game? What precipitated that, losing the most meaningless game of the year? Doubtful. It also doesn't help his future is murky at best considering the pending ownership change.

There's nothing more frustrating as a leader when the people you supervise aren't responding to what you're trying to communicate. And this most certainly isn't a case of tearing the team down to build them up. This is a guy who's stressed out that his message ain't hitting home.

You of course have the right to your own opinion, just like I do. There's too much unknown about who is mad, and to what extent. A couple reports said Doug took Jerry aside to talk, and it was calm and looked to be resolved. The other part you said was Doug needed to earn a reputation, while this is true ( All coaches do), it's not necessary needed to win. You used Tom Coughlin an example. I chimed in on that because I have talked to Tom many times, though sometimes only briefly. He's from my hometown and pretty good friends with my uncle. He comes to town a couple times a year and usually stops by my uncle's house for a couple hours (and a few beers). Sometimes a lot of his childhood friends are there and I don't get to talk football with him, but sometimes only a few are there and I can. He says he was nervous as hell coming to Jacksonville especially being a 1st year expansion team, but he couldn't show it in front of his team. In his own words he was a mean SOB, hard as nails coach and THE PLAYERS HATED HIM. He had coached at RIT for a couple years to barely a .%500 record. He was an assistant Parcells and Head Coach at BC for 3 years. He didn't have a rep. He was in a tough situation with an expansion team and they were horrible the first year. H e stuck with his guns and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years went to the playoffs and two of those years went to the AFC championship game. Saw him in February and asked him about Doug. He said he reminded Tom of himself being a first time NFL Head Coach in a tough situation, trying to create the culture you want. Plus he said they both coached only a few years in college. He also said he knew Doug well and I quote " Have no doubt Doug will succeed with Buffalo, he's too good of a coach not to". I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm taking Tom's word on this one.

You of course have the right to your own opinion, just like I do. There's too much unknown about who is mad, and to what extent. A couple reports said Doug took Jerry aside to talk, and it was calm and looked to be resolved. The other part you said was Doug needed to earn a reputation, while this is true ( All coaches do), it's not necessary needed to win. You used Tom Coughlin an example. I chimed in on that because I have talked to Tom many times, though sometimes only briefly. He's from my hometown and pretty good friends with my uncle. He comes to town a couple times a year and usually stops by my uncle's house for a couple hours (and a few beers). Sometimes a lot of his childhood friends are there and I don't get to talk football with him, but sometimes only a few are there and I can. He says he was nervous as hell coming to Jacksonville especially being a 1st year expansion team, but he couldn't show it in front of his team. In his own words he was a mean SOB, hard as nails coach and THE PLAYERS HATED HIM. He had coached at RIT for a couple years to barely a .%500 record. He was an assistant Parcells and Head Coach at BC for 3 years. He didn't have a rep. He was in a tough situation with an expansion team and they were horrible the first year. H e stuck with his guns and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years went to the playoffs and two of those years went to the AFC championship game. Saw him in February and asked him about Doug. He said he reminded Tom of himself being a first time NFL Head Coach in a tough situation, trying to create the culture you want. Plus he said they both coached only a few years in college. He also said he knew Doug well and I quote " Have no doubt Doug will succeed with Buffalo, he's too good of a coach not to". I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm taking Tom's word on this one.

good stuff. I will also add that I know for a fact that SD was very interested in him for that job and were trying to set up an interview with him - the bills offered him the job before he could go on the interview. It's not like he is some bottom rung candidate. There are a lot of factors that go into why teams hire certain guys to take over certain teams.

Junction Boys II? Nothing brings a team together like a long "tough" training camp, fights and the coach being a complete maniac. Think anyone in this league today could have played for guys like Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant?

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, but remember that Jauron and Gailey were players' coaches held in very high esteem. Look at where that got us. It doesn't really bother me to see tempers flaring, and it sounds as though Marrone reacted appropriately.

I would agree 100%.

good stuff. I will also add that I know for a fact that SD was very interested in him for that job and were trying to set up an interview with him - the bills offered him the job before he could go on the interview. It's not like he is some bottom rung candidate. There are a lot of factors that go into why teams hire certain guys to take over certain teams.

Jimmy Haslam was trying to call Marrone to congratulate him as new HC of the Browns. Marrone is well regarded in this league. Look no further than the staff he has assembled. People want to work for him. That says a lot

So the Bills should do what fans say?

Fans aren't as dumb, nor GM's and HC's as bright, as you believe. Clearly the Bills collection of both over the past 2 decades have proven they have little aptitude for the successful NFL franchise.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Fans aren't as dumb, nor GM's and HC's as bright, as you believe. Clearly the Bills collection of both over the past 2 decades have proven they have little aptitude for the successful NFL franchise.

Actually fans, for the most part, are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Otherwise anyone could manage an NFL franchise. It's fun to think you are smarter than Doug Whaley but you aren't. Demanding we draft every QB in the draft, then having one pan out, doesn't make you a player personnel guru.

Actually fans, for the most part, are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Otherwise anyone could manage an NFL franchise. It's fun to think you are smarter than Doug Whaley but you aren't. Demanding we draft every QB in the draft, then having one pan out, doesn't make you a player personnel guru.

No fan suggested this.

You may be smarter than Whaley, or Marrone, or Gailey/Jauron/Nix/Williams/Mularkey......

I'm not sure anyone could run/coach an NFL franchise, but what more proof do you require to conclude that the guys the Bills have poured through these positions over the years are not fit to run a franchise? How do you conclude they are all smarter than any fan out there?

Marrone threatening Hughes' spot on the team is funny.

If Hughes were to be cut, he'd find 15 teams interested in his services. Most of them likely to finish with better records than the Bills.

I disagree. 31 teams would be willing to add a double digit sack guy. :)

Or he could sit him for the year possibly severely devaluing him going into free agency.

Good point

Remember when the Bills traded a potentially future HOF RB, in his 3rd year, that was picked 12th overall for a mid round pick? That was a good idea...

Or he could sit him for the year possibly severely devaluing him going into free agency.

Yeah, I'm all for teaching a double digit sack guy a lesson. Let's sit him and what should be 13 sacks and play Wynn and his 3.5 sacks. That'll teach him. As a Bills fan this is what I hope happens... Edited by Kirby Jackson

Remember when the Bills traded a potentially future HOF RB, in his 3rd year, that was picked 12th overall for a mid round pick? That was a good idea...

Yeah, I'm all for teaching a double digit sack guy a lesson. Let's sit him and what should be 13 sacks and play Wynn and his 3.5 sacks. That'll teach him. As a Bills fan this is what I hope happens...

Totally understand what you are saying, but it was 10 sacks.

EDIT: I'm a moron,sorry.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS