Top 3 Concerns

Here's mine:

- Injury Risk: we just don't have a lot if depth in some key areas and always seem to get the bug

- Secondary: with loss of Byrd and Gilmore not stepping up, this is defense's weakest unit

- Red Zone Offense: yards won't translate into victories if we can't score TDs in red zone. I like Chandler but just think he's too easily pushed around in red zone, doesn't get position like an NBA power forward. And our running game can't pound it in consistently enough

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping the Bills claim a few players at the final 53.

with new ownership, I highly recommend that Doug Whaley do something to fill the voids

If not, this could be his swan song

Edited by HOUSE

Here's mine:

- Injury Risk: we just don't have a lot if depth in some key areas and always seem to get the bug

- Secondary: with loss of Byrd and Gilmore not stepping up, this is defense's weakest unit

- Red Zone Offense: yards won't translate into victories if we can't score TDs in red zone. I like Chandler but just think he's too easily pushed around in red zone, doesn't get position like an NBA power forward. And our running game can't pound it in consistently enough

I think injury risk is - and rightfully so - an area of concern for every team in the NFL. The reason the talent gap is so wide between college and the NFL is there simply is not a large number of highly-talented football players. I don't think many teams have high-quality depth.

I don't see the concern over Gilmore. And the Bills' secondary was strong without Byrd.

I don't think we can show concern over our redzone offense based on preseason game performance. Why would (should) they risk injury by pounding the ball in for a meaningless score? In my opinion, they shouldn't. I believe they used their time on the field to see if they could move the chains - which they obviously did, being in the redzone. Getting through pre-season with no significant injuries means a lot more than a meaningless touchdown.

Re: Chandler, this is a guy who, a couple years ago, tied the all-time Bills' TE TD record in half of a season. I expect him to be back into that form this season. More so because I'm hoping that he'll be utilized more wisely by Hackett - whom I believe will be more apt to make adjustments this season if/when plan A isn't working.

My top 3 concerns are:

Stopping other teams on 3rd down. We need more 3 and outs and can't let teams convert 3rd and longs.

Hackett's play-calling - specifically, I want him to abandon the no-huddle if it's the right thing to do and I want him to use Spiller in a way that he can get more all-purpose yards.

Special teams - I absolutely hate the fact that Danny Crossman is still collecting a paycheck and I hope he can change my mind.

OL

Injury at QB or DE

SS

I think they are going to try Graham at SS in todays game...if McKelvin can come back and play like he did last season and C. Graham looks good at SS I think the Bills will be ok in the backfield...I think there was some talk of C. Graham playing at SS when the signed him also...I do agree with injury at both QB and DE tho, actually i guess i'll just agree with everything but SS... I thought Searcey and Dukes both looked ok at SS... :)

Edited by Tsaikotic

I think injury risk is - and rightfully so - an area of concern for every team in the NFL. The reason the talent gap is so wide between college and the NFL is there simply is not a large number of highly-talented football players. I don't think many teams have high-quality depth.

I don't see the concern over Gilmore. And the Bills' secondary was strong without Byrd.

I don't think we can show concern over our redzone offense based on preseason game performance. Why would (should) they risk injury by pounding the ball in for a meaningless score? In my opinion, they shouldn't. I believe they used their time on the field to see if they could move the chains - which they obviously did, being in the redzone. Getting through pre-season with no significant injuries means a lot more than a meaningless touchdown.

Re: Chandler, this is a guy who, a couple years ago, tied the all-time Bills' TE TD record in half of a season. I expect him to be back into that form this season. More so because I'm hoping that he'll be utilized more wisely by Hackett - whom I believe will be more apt to make adjustments this season if/when plan A isn't working.

My top 3 concerns are:

Stopping other teams on 3rd down. We need more 3 and outs and can't let teams convert 3rd and longs.

Hackett's play-calling - specifically, I want him to abandon the no-huddle if it's the right thing to do and I want him to use Spiller in a way that he can get more all-purpose yards.

Special teams - I absolutely hate the fact that Danny Crossman is still collecting a paycheck and I hope he can change my mind.

Agree on lack of depth throughout league, but my point is that we always seem to have more than our fair share of injuries. Look how much time EJ missed last year, and 2nd most important guy on offense spiller limped around with high ankle sprain most of year.

Concern over gilmore is simple: he's not looking good. was supposed to have been our shutdown corner, looks more like he'd have trouble shutting a door at this point.

Chandler, Fitz, and a few others had that one uptick under gailey. As soon as opponents game planned for bubble screen, the bubble burst. Don't think injury risk has anything to do with not trying to pound it in more. If you look at our performance last few years we simply haven't been effective doing it

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

My top three concerns:

1) EJ Manuel

2) EJ Manuel

3) EJ Manuel

The success of this team ultimately boils down to the quarterback. The most important position in footfall.

These are my top 3 concerns as well.

My top 3:

- no madden football Sunday ticket promotion

- beer gives me gas so I may have to switch to wine instead of labbatt blue for games

But my number 1 concern:

- I don't think this board will collectively EVER understand we have no clue what the team is going to look like until they play a game that matters.

Nothing ever gets answered in preseason. Nothing. Reapeat not one effing thing, save the final 53. Teams have looked amazing in preseason then sucked in the reg season and vice versa.

1.) will I run out of beer

2.) will I have adequate food

3.) make sure I don't urinate in my sink....

Re: #3- I need to get prepared for games at the Ralph...

One for the lot:

http://www.tailgatingportapotty.com/

And one for the stadium:

http://drinkingmadeeasy.com/booze-in-the-news/stadium-pal/

My top 3 concerns are:

Spot on!!

1.) will I run out of beer

2.) will I have adequate food

3.) make sure I don't urinate in my sink....

Re: #3- I need to get prepared for games at the Ralph...

I love #3!

I am hoping the Bills claim a few players at the final 53.

with new ownership, I highly recommend that Doug Whaley do something to fill the voids

Voids? What voids?

This team has starting talent and quality depth for the first time in 15 years. So, this is NOT the same ol Bills.

All I am saying here, is this is not the teams from the last 15 years, those teams had no depth and eventually failed

If I had to pick 3, in order they would be:

1 - Hackett's offense. This team was actually pretty good running the football last season, but could not get it done inside the 20 yard line. They were 31st in red zone offense. While I would love to believe that it has been addressed in the offseason, that is just not showing on the field. The common excuse of "they're just working on stuff" just doesn't cut it for me. Like Yoda said, "try? do or do not, there is no try".

2 - The secondary. I didn't think they would be all that bad without Byrd, but they have. Safety support hasn't been that good, resulting in our corners getting burned for big plays. The corners to boot have simply looked average. The improved run defense will force teams to throw the football. I'm pretty confident that that is going to be the case. I just hope that they haven't just replaced one huge area of weakness from last season (run defense) with a huge one this season.

3 - EJ's health. There's no question that EJ is our starter. All the talk of getting competition/Mark Sanchez/etc., are just idiotic conjecture. It's not going to happen. That said, this team isn't going anywhere with either Lewis or Tuel playing in the event of another Manuel injury. Would I like to see EJ play better than last season? Certainly. Even with the limited sample size of this preseason, I like some of what I've seen (except the red zone obviously) from him. He seems to have a better command of the offense.