Ice Bucket - Get off my Lawn

When will this end. It has jumped the shark. I am All for donating money to this cause but the constant social media videos and LAMPS are getting obnoxious.

The moment you stop looking at Facebook.....and this thread.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow up.

I actually held a winning ticket. :wallbash:

The winners were supposed to be on a video, that will be circulated throughout the company and probably FB.

I gave the ticket to someone who really wanted to be part of "that".

I also verified 100% of the funds were going to ALS.

Why didn't you just go directly to the ALS website and donate there instead? That way you cut out the middle man.

And here's what bugs me about this whole thing. I watched a 1 hour local news broadcast last night and they showed multiple versions of these videos. The term "ALS" was not used once during that entire hour. The money raising is great and all, I just wish it didn't take a whole new level of attention whoring to do it. Unfortunately we'll never change that.

You guys are going to get your wish. Instead of Ice Bucket Challenge we're going to hear non-stop about Starbucks Pay it Forward lines!!! Not THAT is !@#$ing annoying.

Good for this guy:

https://gma.yahoo.co...topstories.html

Just had good friends of mone call me a Debbie Downer because I said although I did do the ice bucket and I did donate, that I think it is better to donate to Feed the hungry, or some organization like that, there is 1 million homeless high school students, there are 16 million hungry kids, who knows maybe one of those kids will cure ALS and never get a chance to, we are not taking advanatage of human capital. I also said that it is my belief that if all these people donate to one charity, that it cannibalizes funds for others, there is a fixed amount of money most people donate.

Basically got poo pooed, and like I said, called a Debbie Downer tried to put words in my mouth, like saying you should only donate to one place, and that I did not care about ALS.

This social phenomenon and things like this make smart people act dumb.

Just had good friends of mone call me a Debbie Downer because I said although I did do the ice bucket and I did donate, that I think it is better to donate to Feed the hungry, or some organization like that, there is 1 million homeless high school students, there are 16 million hungry kids, who knows maybe one of those kids will cure ALS and never get a chance to, we are not taking advanatage of human capital. I also said that it is my belief that if all these people donate to one charity, that it cannibalizes funds for others, there is a fixed amount of money most people donate.

Basically got poo pooed, and like I said, called a Debbie Downer tried to put words in my mouth, like saying you should only donate to one place, and that I did not care about ALS.

Here's one: http://www.donorschoose.org/gates-back-to-school

Already a great place to donate and for the next 3 days the Gates Foundation will cover half the cost of any funded project. No ice bucket or speaking to other people required.

No, people being dumb is what makes people act dumb.

Social phenomena derive from that.

Got challenged, refuse to be a part of social website's peer pressure and shaming. I will donate money to ALS, but at an amount I choose and when I want to. I can't stand how many videos I see and no one actually informs people of what ALS is and who it effects. I was riding the train the other day and I overheard some younger girls talking about it. The conversation went like this:

"Are you going to do that water challenge thing"

"Yea, you mean the one for paralysed people"

"Yea, you dump a bucket of cold water over your head and it makes you paralysed for a second, so you feel what they feel"

That pretty much sums it up.

On a side note, the backstory of how this whole thing started is pretty ridiculous but if when this went main stream, the person lowered the amount to say $20, I think ALS research could have gotten a ton more money. You'd see more people donating AND wasting clean water that 780 million people still doesn't have access to.

So the guy does it and writes about it on his blog that he gets money from advertisers for. Hmmm

Why not just end it, tip the Barista $100 and leave it at that? Why do you need to turn around and make money off of it?

not the ice bucket challenge, but yet another 'social giving' craze and the guy is being villified, i, however applaud him

https://gma.yahoo.com/florida-man-deliberately-scuttles-pay-forward-starbucks-line-165749709--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

"blogger and part-time political consultant"

Okay, which of you PPP people is this?

no you are absolutely correct, his sole reason for doing this was to bring attention to himself, like the ones he is doing this against....his ultimate point is what i applaud, sadly his self promotion diminishes the genuineness of his act

So the guy does it and writes about it on his blog that he gets money from advertisers for. Hmmm

Why not just end it, tip the Barista $100 and leave it at that? Why do you need to turn around and make money off of it?

Now that's funny.

I never quite get the level of backlash on stuff like this; if you aren't into it, ignore it. Facebook can't find you if you don't look at it. It's just a silly fad designed for attention and amusement; not really a big deal. It'll all be over soon.

Well said. Why this bothers or offends anyone I'm not quite sure.

The ignorance inside people is shocking!!!

I watched someone I know do this challenge.... She was all about awareness for ASL.... Not a typo.... ASL.... I mean.... ASL????? Smh.....

Hey! American Sign Language is not very well known here, it's good she's bringing awareness to it, that more people should learn it.