Dennis Dixon...let him run with the 2's next week!!!

Alphadawg7

Yeah, nature of the game...thats why I think we should just give him some good reps with the 2's and see if he can take advantage and get his name in contention. Letting him twist at the end isn't going to tell you anything about him...I doubt he gets the reps, but they should given Thad and Tuel haven't done much to feel good about. I don't expect him to be our savior, but would like to see if he can at least make the back up job competition more interesting

But can't you see from the coaches perspective how risky that would be giving him those valuable reps when he hasn't deserved them? Then you're essentially taking away reps from the proven (at least to them) better player, and their now not getting better.

I know it's easy to say "well they haven't shown anything so throw the other guy in there", well the fact is Thad and Tuel have shown something - that they are better than Dixon to their coaches.

Edited by Triple Threat

But can't you see from the coaches perspective how risky that would be giving him those valuable reps when he hasn't deserved them? Then you're essentially taking away reps from the proven (at least to them) better player, and their now not getting better.

I know it's easy to say "well they haven't shown anything so throw the other guy in there", well the fact is Thad and Tuel have shown something - that they are better than Dixon to their coaches.

+1

Playing time is earned, not given. If a qb can't make the throws in practice you haven't earned it. Tebow is the ultimate "gamer" and look what that's gotten him.

+1

Playing time is earned, not given. If a qb can't make the throws in practice you haven't earned it. Tebow is the ultimate "gamer" and look what that's gotten him.

Yeah the bottom line for me is we fans don't know what we're talking about by and large. I do respect the fan that is going to training camp and seeing more of the everyday play, but even then that fan isn't privy to the call room. We'd all be surprised at what little we know.

To contradict myself it isn't totally out of the realm of possibility that coaches don't see things the fan does from 10,000 feet either.

So 4 years ago he played 2 games and looked good...Don't you think if he has shown anything in practice that he would get a chance?

No, because he was buried behind Big Ben, then buried behind Vick, Foles, and Barkely 2 years ago in Philly. Our staff and FO seemed confident in Tuel and Thad, so he hasn't gotten any real reps here. But now that Thad and Tuel have been duds in preseason, maybe its time to elevate Dixon and see if can bring something different. Its very hard to get reps for the 3rd string QB, especially when they are all in a tight battle for #2. So the 4th string QB gets almost no reps, if any at all...pretty hard to prove anything if you don't get a chance to show anything.

As I stated before, I don't expect him to be our savior...its not about that. Its about how poorly Thad and Tuel are playing. Dixon got to sit behind some real talent with some talented teams and coaches, so maybe he there is something there, maybe not...but we won't find out unless he at least gets reps in practice or in preseason. Hell, let him play half the game of the last one, maybe he can do enough to snag at least the 3rd spot.

+1

I understand that, but the 4th string QB doesn't get reps to earn time. It usually takes the guys ahead of him to falter before he's given a chance. And in a situation like Buffalo, all 3 QBs ahead need all the reps they can get, so for a guy like Dixon he will get almost no reps at all which means no chance to earn anything

NFL is about opportunity for many...there have been guys a plenty buried on depth charts who couldn't get reps until they had an injury get them reps and playing time that went on to have good careers, some HOF careers.

No, because he was buried behind Big Ben, then buried behind Vick, Foles, and Barkely 2 years ago in Philly. Our staff and FO seemed confident in Tuel and Thad, so he hasn't gotten any real reps here. But now that Thad and Tuel have been duds in preseason, maybe its time to elevate Dixon and see if can bring something different. Its very hard to get reps for the 3rd string QB, especially when they are all in a tight battle for #2. So the 4th string QB gets almost no reps, if any at all...pretty hard to prove anything if you don't get a chance to show anything.

As I stated before, I don't expect him to be our savior...its not about that. Its about how poorly Thad and Tuel are playing. Dixon got to sit behind some real talent with some talented teams and coaches, so maybe he there is something there, maybe not...but we won't find out unless he at least gets reps in practice or in preseason. Hell, let him play half the game of the last one, maybe he can do enough to snag at least the 3rd spot.

I understand that, but the 4th string QB doesn't get reps to earn time. It usually takes the guys ahead of him to falter before he's given a chance. And in a situation like Buffalo, all 3 QBs ahead need all the reps they can get, so for a guy like Dixon he will get almost no reps at all which means no chance to earn anything

NFL is about opportunity for many...there have been guys a plenty buried on depth charts who couldn't get reps until they had an injury get them reps and playing time that went on to have good careers, some HOF careers.

When I was at camp he got some reps during the 1 on 1 portion of the practice and he didn't look too accurate. If he needs injury to get a chance so be it, but I don't think he shows enough in the reps he does get at practice to warrant him playing with the twos. It's a disservice to the twos and I agree that we do not need to spend reps on him. Heck, I'd rather have seen EJ with the first team oline play into the third quarter for at least two or three of our 5 preseason games this year.

The guy started some games... How much more of a chance do you want?

Yeah he started 2 games and did pretty good for Pitt for being his first 2 starts. Those 2 starts were more promising then what we are seeing out of Tuel and Thad. Again, this is more about how poorly Thad and Tuel are doing than Dixons potential.

You see, there is no one we can bring in at this stage that will be ready and any better than Thad and Tuel because they will be so far behind in the offense and learning the system. So we need to make the most of whats here right now...Thad and Tuel have done nothing to solidify a backup job IMO, so I just want to see Dixon at least get some game reps and see if he can provide more because he does now know the offense.

So, its about Thad and Tuel not being the answer more than Dixon being the answer. Its preseason, this is the time to experiment, even for just a couple series.

Actually he has played in 4 games.

Dixon:1 TD 2 Ints 402 Yds. 6.8 avg. 71.4 Rate.

Thaddeus: 5 TD 4 Ints 1296 Yds. 6.9 avg. 81.4 Rate

Tuel Time: 1 TD 3 Ints 309 Yds 53.2 avg 44.1 Rate

Stat wise in real games anyway, Thaddeus has done better and Tuel Time worse.

Nice to see Marrone reads this board and finally started listening to me and brought Dixon in first after EJ this week to see if can do anything with it.

Great foresight. I never thought it would happen. He better hang onto the ball a little tighter though.

Great foresight. I never thought it would happen. He better hang onto the ball a little tighter though.

Yeah no kidding right. Running with the ball just all exposed and diving head first with it extended is not in his best interest if he wants to move up the depth chart. Still nice to see them take a look at him...but he's got to protect the ball or they won't look at him very long

Hey, I never said he was going to be good...I said Tuel and Thad had not been, so look at him because what those 2 have done was squat.

Point is, Marrone clearly reads this board and listens to my suggestions and looked at him :nana: and now we can move on cuz he didn't seize the moment.