My Untrained Eye -- thoughts on BUF/PIT

eball

EJ's drives thus far in the preseason (note yds are drive length, not EJ's passing yards):

HOF:

1. 5 plays: 1 First Down, 17 yds, Punt
  2. 5 plays: 1 First Down, 11 yds, FG

Carolina:

1. 10 plays: 3 First Downs, 78 yds, Turnover on Downs
  2. 6 plays: 1 First Down, 13 yds, FG
  3. 8 plays: 2 First Downs, 35 yds, Punt

Pittsburgh:

1. 11 plays: 3 First downs, 44 yds, FG
  2. 6 plays: 1 First Down, 27 yds, INT
  3. 10 plays: 3 First Downs, 39 yds, FG
  4. 9 plays: 2 First downs, 71 yds, Turnover on Downs
  5. 10 plays: 2 First Downs, 39 yds, Turnover on Downs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One non Bills observation. Ryan Shazier was one of may favourite players coming out of this draft from my (admittedly relatively limited) exposure to college football. I was delighted to see him play so well, just disappointed it was against the Bills. If I'd known we were going to lose Kiko I might even have been banging the drum for us to draft the guy. I think the Steelers round 1 and round 2 picks are going to re-energise that old defense. Could be a fun team to watch this year.

But, it has nothing to do with what WE would want if we were EJ. His feelings dont matter much.

He needs more training on how to play QB. Then he can get confidence. I dont think he will just gain confidence just by playing more. He will gain it by playing WELL, more.

I was watching sportCenter tonite. Showing highlights of 1st string O vs. First string D around the league. I was noticing how many (1) receivers were wide open [and i get that both Sammy and Mike were not out there much] and (2) How many successful throws were to receivers that, to EJ (it seems) would not have appeared open (enough).

I was thinking maybe the Bills coaches could put together a tape (from the endzone cam) of good QBs either throwing receivers open, or throwing to them when they are NFL open but less than "obviously open." It would be best if they could edit out the ball from the video, and challenge EJ to determine exactly when the man was open, and exactly when to throw the ball.

The problem could also be that Hackett cant design plays to get guys open, or even NFL open.

The knock on EJ last year was that he would only throw to open receivers and had a hard time trusting the guys that were covered. So the Bills went out and got some guys that can win those matchups (Williams and Watkins), now he's giving them a chance. I say let's wait and see how tho played out.

EJ's drives thus far in the preseason (note yds are drive length, not EJ's passing yards):

HOF:

Carolina:

Pittsburgh:

Based on this observation, he's gotten better each game. One thing I've learned about EJ Manuel is that he rarely make the same mistake twice. Give him time people!!

HOF:

Carolina:

Pittsburgh:

Thank you for confirming my recollection that there have been no 3-and-outs with EJ in there. 7 out of 10 drives got the Bills into scoring position. There are signs of progression and improvement.

Thank you for confirming my recollection that there have been no 3-and-outs with EJ in there. 7 out of 10 drives got the Bills into scoring position. There are signs of progression and improvement.

i would love to see big downfield plays too but I'll wait until the reg season to determine whether he can or can't do that with his starting OL and a game plan in place. Regarding check downs... If they get a 1st down WGAS how we got it, amirite?

I watched the first half and my impression of EJ is that his overall command of the offense is greatly improved, his reads are quicker and his "view" of the field appears improved as well. He also seems calmer in the pocket. However, his accuracy remains a significant concern. Even on completions, his passes were often somewhat off the mark, either a little behind, a little too high or low, a bit too far ahead. This was forcing his receivers to twist around or slow down or pit themselves in position for nasty hits. Some of this may be on the receivers but it looks to me that it is mainly EJ's problem. And that intentional grounding was a major case of stupidity.

Overall the starting O had its poorest performance of the preseason, looking slow and sluggish for too much of the first half.

I watched the first half and my impression of EJ is that his overall command of the offense is greatly improved, his reads are quicker and his "view" of the field appears improved as well. He also seems calmer in the pocket. However, his accuracy remains a significant concern. Even on completions, his passes were often somewhat off the mark, either a little behind, a little too high or low, a bit too far ahead. This was forcing his receivers to twist around or slow down or pit themselves in position for nasty hits. Some of this may be on the receivers but it looks to me that it is mainly EJ's problem. And that intentional grounding was a major case of stupidity.

Overall the starting O had its poorest performance of the preseason, looking slow and sluggish for too much of the first half.

Very good assessment of where EJ is in his development.

2nd Quarter in the Steelers' game: (7:48) (Shotgun) 3-E.Manuel pass deep right to 10-R.Woods ran ob at PIT 34 for 16 yards. If you remember this throw, it IMO was easily EJ's best thus far this preseason. It was out before Woods made his break and perfectly accurate. This throw (the deep out) is one of the most difficult in the NFL game for QBs and EJ made it look easy. He has all of the tools to be a very good QB in the league, but two of the hallmarks of excellent quarterbacking are consistency and accuracy. We certainly know he needs significant improvement in both of these areas. I'm looking forward to his continued development in several areas that are key for him, but as you noted he has gotten better. Many refuse to see his progress, but it is there if you know what to look for.

Go Bills!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The check downs on Saturday were what the defense gave him. I think you will see more teams do that against the Bills until we show that we can get things done in the red zone. They will sit off play deep and say "okay if you want to take 5 minutes off the clock dinking and dunking your way down here for 3 points be our guest. But you can't have the big play with one of your speed receivers down the field so you are going to have to find a way of punching the ball in to get more than 3."

No point forcing the ball down the field into mass coverage if it isn't on. Also there was no Watkins after the first series and it seemed big Mike wasn't in there every play as well.

I'm looking forward to his continued development in several key areas that are key for him, but as you noted he has gotten better.

I agree, I have seen some improvement as well. Enough to warrant being optimistic about his future? Not yet, for me anyway. But at the very least he has seemingly not regressed.

As I said in another thread, a good barometer for him as well as the team in general, will be the opener against the Bears.

The "dress rehearsal" game Saturday should tell us a lot as well. Although it is unlikely Watkins will dress for that game so that "tell" will be tainted a bit.

I would to see Manuel being more patient in the pocket when he's in the red zone. Exhibit A

LArcPB.jpg

This is where he has to get better, 1st and goal and in the first play he plants and throws to Freddie in the flat, by the looks of it, Freddie needs to be more awesome than he already is and shake a defender to score a TD. What Manuel needs to do here is be more patient, let the play develop and try to squeeze the ball to one of the other receivers. He has a pocket to manouver, to move a little and fire the ball, maybe a double by WR is what the play needs.

Patience often comes with age and experience.

No doubt, that is why I'm optimistic about Manuel. The talent is there and he is hard worker, it's all about him putting things together, but it won't happen overnight.

No doubt, that is why I'm optimistic about Manuel. The talent is there and he is hard worker, it's all about him putting things together, but it won't happen overnight.

as much as many don't want to believe it - and I get that - this is why I think the Bills are going to give him 3 years. I do not think they traded next years number 1 thinking they were trading their next QB. They weren't going to take one anyway. That's my opinion but they knew exactly what they were getting with him and yes they have a plan. You can dislike the pick, and/or dislike the plan. But I would very surprised if they even took a QB in round 2 next yr unless Manuel really doesn't show any progression this year. I am not saying I agree or disagree with the plan because i don't have the info to make the determination.

They could certainly take a late round QB or sign a FA but I don't believe it will be with the intent of starting.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Fair assessment. Last night you got to see what a great QB looks like and we'll have to be patient and hope EJ can approach Big Ben's level of play. I still have little faith in Hackett. But let's see what happens when the starting Oline is finally together. With the talent we have getting a yard when we need it shouldn't be such a lift.

Seriously - the fact that we've got 2-3 rookies out there getting a ton of starting reps means a lot has to be kept in perspective, although obviously Kujo's a horrible disappointment, I can't get too freaked out about a 7th or 4th round rookie struggle while we wait for Glenn and Williams to get back in there. Have to wonder if they will let Henderson or Glenn try ORT.

HOF:

Carolina:

Pittsburgh:

Thanks for the research nkreed and eball, great observation.

I saw the replay of the Pitt/Buff game yesterday on DirecTV, CH 212 via TIVO.

Here are my random thoughts:

This just in, Woods is a very good player. He could prove to be the most productive WR on the roster this year.

Manuel was efficient. Most of his passes were short, quick, safe throws. The first team did not get the ball into the end zone, which has to be concerning, but Manuel showed that he can move the ball and can be consistent.

Rberger and A. Brown were dominant.

Spiller could be a real weapon on KOs.

TJ Graham looked quick and decisive on punt returns. I think it will be a tough call to cut him. If he is cut some team will quickly snap him up.

Our first and second string defense stuffed the run and that's tough to do vs the Steelers.

DT Cohen is quick and agile for a 300 lber. He's making a strong bid to make the team. He makes you take notice when he's on the field, which is not easy to do for a DT.

QB T. Lewis is an elusive runner, but doesn't have what it takes to be a quality backup QB. He's terrible against any sort of pass rush.

QB J. Tuel is not much better than Lewis. He makes poor decisions under pressure. It's obvious that the Bills need help at QB behind Manuel.

I think LB R. Johnson is a beast. He's aggressive and hit hard. Spikes/Bradham/Rivers/Brown are our four best LBs. I think Johnson is #5.

Pollard/Sylvester/Gaines were not impressive vs the Steelers.

DE J. Smith got a strip sack. He fast around the corner. He might find a way to sneak onto the roster if he can play ST.

Our safeties minus A. Williams don't take good angles to the ball. D. Williams is a stud tackler, but he has a lot to learn in coverage.

I have not been impressed with Gilmore so far. Shutdown corner my a$$.

Robey consistently makes plays. He needs to be on the field as often as possible for that reason.

C. Graham is starting to come on. He plays like a wiley vet. He reads plays well and reacts to them quickly. He demolished two different WR screens single-handedly.

Overall: We were missing a lot of key players: Glenn/McKelvin/C. Williams/Watkins got hurt very early on/etc. so we weren't at full strength. You can see that we have a lot of talented players and more depth than usual, but can we put it all together to play well consistently?? I have my doubts at this point. We could not contain Rberger/A. Brown in a very short time frame and the first team offense still has not scored a TD, which has to have the Bills' coaches concerned.

Patience often comes with age and experience.

It's also more justified when your starting OL is actually out there and you don't have multiple unready rookies trying to get you killed.

Even in the photo above you can see Henderson is losing his battle on the left side.

Pettine isn't afraid to show his hand. He wants his players to play that way all the time. He is a DC for the modern game.

Shwartz? He is the kind of DC that a modern OC likes to work against. Saw it last night. Big Ben was LOVING that pumpkin pie haircut of a 4 man rush. It was getting no push and creating gaping passing windows for Big Ben to step into and that allowed him to make some spectacular throws.

Schwartz sure didn't seem to be able to read Big Ben like a book.

I thought the OL in particular looked fatigued. I think the tell tale was a pretty weak showing by Eric Wood, who is supposed to lead the toughness charge on offense.

These guys have been in camp a week longer than most and have spent a lot of time on the road and in uncomfortable settings.

As an organization, most of these guys are not used to having to be mentally tough. They have been coddled and had excuses made for them and haven't really had to play teams that were bringing their A game very often because Bills week has been a glorified bye week for the past decade.

Which is why Marrone came in with both guns firing in demand of accountability. I think it is obviously still a work in progress but I do see some progress in that regard.

Says the fan of a team that blitzed like crazy last preseason. :doh:

Todd Haley thanks you for calling him modern after his 20th season coaching in this league.