Illegal Contact/Defensive Holding = Automatic 1st Down

KDIGGZ

If the preseason is any indication, the new "no contact with receivers past 5 yards" penalty is going to drastically change things this season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000376637/article/illegal-contact-penalties-fly-in-first-week-of-preseason

Often referred to as the "Seattle Seahawks rule," the new rule was put in place to limit defensive backs from making contact downfield with receivers. In theory it sounds good, but in practice this rule is really going to be tough to enforce. There is downfield jostling for position on almost every play. Are they really going to throw the flag every time? It's almost impossible to cover someone without making contact and often it's the offensive player who is initiating the contact (push off).

I could see this rule really impacting games this year. On key 3rd and 4th downs or red zone plays, teams will be looking to draw penalties. And if the NFL wasn't already a pass happy league, then it will be now. It's starting to seem silly to not throw on every play. Teams with good QB's will prosper and run first teams like ours will decline.

What are your thoughts on the new rule and how big of an impact do you think it will have this year?

If the preseason is any indication, the new "no contact with receivers past 5 yards" penalty is going to drastically change things this season:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ek-of-preseason

Often referred to as the "Seattle Seahawks rule," the new rule was put in place to limit defensive backs from making contact downfield with receivers. In theory it sounds good, but in practice this rule is really going to be tough to enforce. There is downfield jostling for position on almost every play. Are they really going to throw the flag every time? It's almost impossible to cover someone without making contact and often it's the offensive player who is initiating the contact (push off).

I could see this rule really impacting games this year. On key 3rd and 4th downs or red zone plays, teams will be looking to draw penalties. And if the NFL wasn't already a pass happy league, then it will be now. It's starting to seem silly to not throw on every play. Teams with good QB's will prosper and run first teams like ours will decline.

What are your thoughts on the new rule and how big of an impact do you think it will have this year?

The NFL has already said that they would be calling more offensive PI calls as well.

I don't see this going on at the same clip during the whole season. If there is a popular outcry (too many penalties, altering too many outcomes, games too long) they will drop it immediately.

They are just sending a message--doing what they made a lot of noise about during the off season---and they are doing it during the preseason, when it doesn't matter. When the season starts, they may bust the chops of teams like the Seahawks for a while, but it will pass. They know there is really nothing they can do to curb that kind of defense. Throwing a million flags is a poison pill they don't want to swallow. It's a bluff.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Gilmore is going to get flagged a lot.

That's my fear too. He likes physical play, but, they're going to call it this season. Last night's Chicago game it looked to me like the WR initiated the contact...still illegal contact was the call.

It'll calm down some in the regular season & hopefully won't bite us at just the wrong time.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ek-of-preseason

Is there anything new here, other than enforcement? I can't tell.

Defensive holding and illegal contact have always been automatic 1st downs, right? And contact after 5 yards has always been illegal contact, right? (I'm pretty sure that it true.)

One thing that always confused me was refs waiving off PI penalties because the throw was uncatchable. Well it might no longer be PI, but it remains illegal contact, right? I mean if you can call illegal contact on the opposite side of the field from where the ball is thrown why can't you call it when the pass is uncatchable?

I'm not for having a bunch of penalties. The return game is one area that has gotten out of control. But I do support consistency in the calling of penalties. I assume there will be too many penalties during preseason. More than we would like in regular season and fewer still in post season. Eventually the DBs will adjust.

But in the meantime, the Bills will get killed, either with ticky tac calls against out DBs, or blatant non calls favoring the opposing team (Pats* for example). Hey we're Bills fans. God hates us.

Is there anything new here, other than enforcement? I can't tell.

Defensive holding and illegal contact have always been automatic 1st downs, right? And contact after 5 yards has always been illegal contact, right? (I'm pretty sure that it true.)

You are correct. Nothing has changed, other than the fact that they claim they will actually call the penalty more frequently, rather than let it go.

The Seahawks took DB contact with receivers to the next level last season. It does need to be reigned in.

This.

The penalty for pass interference is very severe. Refs are unlikely to call more than a small handful of pass interference penalties per game. Knowing this, the Seahawks adopted a deliberate strategy of engaging in pass interference all the time. Sure, they knew they'd take a few extra penalties here and there. But they felt that over the course of the game, the yards from these penalties would be more than offset by the extra boost this gave them in shutting down the opponent's passing game.

If refs weren't enforcing rules against defensive holding or pass interference--which they weren't--a strategy like the Seahawks' was a completely logical response. But blatant disregard for the rules is not good for the game as a whole.

The Seahawks and other teams like them will continue using that strategy as long as it's logical to do so. The only way to make that kind of strategy illogical is for the NFL to crack down, hard, on that kind of behavior, and not just in the preseason. If that means a lot of penalty flags over the short-term, that's just the price of doing business. Eventually teams like the Seahawks will adjust. But they will not change their strategies until the the refs prove they're willing to throw a lot of penalty flags in regular season games to put a stop to stuff like this. Having sacrificed their credibility on this issue in previous seasons, it may take several penalty-rich weeks of play before credibility can be reestablished.

This.

The penalty for pass interference is very severe. Refs are unlikely to call more than a small handful of pass interference penalties per game. Knowing this, the Seahawks adopted a deliberate strategy of engaging in pass interference all the time. Sure, they knew they'd take a few extra penalties here and there. But they felt that over the course of the game, the yards from these penalties would be more than offset by the extra boost this gave them in shutting down the opponent's passing game.

If refs weren't enforcing rules against defensive holding or pass interference--which they weren't--a strategy like the Seahawks' was a completely logical response. But blatant disregard for the rules is not good for the game as a whole.

The Seahawks and other teams like them will continue using that strategy as long as it's logical to do so. The only way to make that kind of strategy illogical is for the NFL to crack down, hard, on that kind of behavior, and not just in the preseason. If that means a lot of penalty flags over the short-term, that's just the price of doing business. Eventually teams like the Seahawks will adjust. But they will not change their strategies until the the refs prove they're willing to throw a lot of penalty flags in regular season games to put a stop to stuff like this. Having sacrificed their credibility on this issue in previous seasons, it may take several penalty-rich weeks of play before credibility can be reestablished.

Yeah, everyone wanted more flags thrown on the Seahawks. "something must be done!" Now when the refs are punishing EVERY team, fans are going to howl--suddenly, no one wants this much "reestablished credibility".

Yeah, everyone wanted more flags thrown on the Seahawks. "something must be done!" Now when the refs are punishing EVERY team, fans are going to howl--suddenly, no one wants this much "reestablished credibility".

Bills fans would be less than thrilled if, for example, Gilmore began attracting some of these additional flags. On the other hand, suppose the Patriots got flagged for this two or three times in a game against the Bills. I personally feel that Bills fans' satisfaction about that would go a long way toward offsetting our dissatisfaction about the Gilmore flags.

More generally, I think fans are more accepting of flags if they're applied evenhandedly, than if some teams are partially exempted from the rules applied to everyone else.

The NFL has already said that they would be calling more offensive PI calls as well.

I don't see this going on at the same clip during the whole season. If there is a popular outcry (too many penalties, altering too many outcomes, games too long) they will drop it immediately.

They are just sending a message--doing what they made a lot of noise about during the off season---and they are doing it during the preseason, when it doesn't matter. When the season starts, they may bust the chops of teams like the Seahawks for a while, but it will pass. They know there is really nothing they can do to curb that kind of defense. Throwing a million flags is a poison pill they don't want to swallow. It's a bluff.

This