Whaley: 'Nobody has called Bills about Spiller'

qblax16

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, what was missing from the answer Whaley gave was any indication that the Bills are keen to keep CJ. I wasn't expecting a "we have taken no calls and we will not respond positively to any calls anyway" because clearly a guy going into a contract year with question marks about his ability to be an every down back is going to be available at the right price. However, there wasn't even a "we have taken no calls and we are excited about what CJ can do for us this year."

It sounded more like an invitation for teams to call to me.

This is the way I read that:

Yes, we have depth at RB. Other teams do not. Why hasn't anyone called me yet?

Also Whaley acted the same way with SJ. Plus he did not say he would not trade CJ.

Atlanta would be a nice place for CJ to end up. (a 2 and a 5 would do it for me)

Edited by qwksilver

Also Whaley acted the same way with SJ. Plus he did not say he would not trade CJ.

Atlanta would be a nice place for CJ to end up. (a 2 and a 5 would do it for me)

A 2 and a 5 would be a great outcome.

A 2 and a 5 would be a great outcome.

id rather we found a way to use him properly, but if you can get high picks and he isnt in the long term plans - thats what youve got to do.

again, i do think that he is extremely talented and id rather we build a system with his talents in mind - but if we arent going to....

Atlantas 2 is theoretically pretty late -- but maybe.

Edited by NoSaint

Context: I would hate for the Bills to trade CJ.

Having said that, it should have been obvious from Whaley's statement to our crack Buffalo reporters to ask him has he made any calls. It sure was obvious to anyone commenting on this on Twitter and here.

Does anyone know whether Whaley was asked this directly?

The way Whaley said this (at least in print) begs for this question to be asked. It seems like he deliberately phrased it that way. Again, I will be upset if the Bills trade CJ.

id rather we found a way to use him properly, but if you can get high picks and he isnt in the long term plans - thats what youve got to do.

again, i do think that he is extremely talented and id rather we build a system with his talents in mind - but if we arent going to....

Atlantas 2 is theoretically pretty late -- but maybe.

They will be picking before us, since our first pick will be #64. :thumbsup:

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

Atlanta will not be trading for Spiller. Living here they are very high on the Rookie they drafted Freeman. He is already #2 on the depth chart. If Jackson Faulters/ gets hurt he will get the carries.

Why trade Spiller? If you want to win now you keep him..Period! ..Our luck is going to be we trade spiller, then Jackson gets hurt, Brown comes in not knowing the play book as well, misses a block, EJ gets hurt, and we're down to our back up QB and back up RB.. That is the way it typically goes for the Bills..There is no reason to trade him this early in the game, see what he has around week 5..

For the record I'd prefer they keep and sign Spiller. I feel a great coaching staff would know how to use his talents.By trading him i think they are throwing in the towel because he doesn't fit what they want.

Great coaches mold to their scheme to their players.

CJ seems like a great guy. He's got a ton of highlight reel explosive plays. He's one of the fastest backs in the league.

But, there are huge red flags. Chan clearly has issues with CJ's stamina. Marrone seems luke-warm on CJ.

I think if they can get something for him they deal him. CJ certainly hasn't panned out the way Buddy envisioned. I don't think it is a "system" thing and figuring out how to work him in. It's more a "consistency" issue with CJ--coaches are wondering at the start of the play who which CJ will show up--good CJ or bad CJ?

CJ seems like a great guy. He's got a ton of highlight reel explosive plays. He's one of the fastest backs in the league.

But, there are huge red flags. Chan clearly has issues with CJ's stamina.

Chan's opinion of Spiller is fortunately a non-issue.

I find that this quote is conveniently left out:

"Whaley called speculation Spiller is on the trading block news to me."

So he was asked, if Spiller was on the trading block.

It's like people just want to read the things that they want to see and not read the things that they don't want to see.

The full quote is as follows:

"We have not been contacted by any team about C.J. Spiller," Whaley said. "These rumors are news to me, and it's exciting for you guys I guess because it gives you something to fill the newspaper with. You know I'm a straight shooter. We have not been contacted by any teams.""I can probably see where people see our depth at running back and try to connect the dots with teams that don't have depth, but again, no one has talked to us," Whaley said.