Would you swap EJ for Manziel right now?

Would you swap EJ for Johnny Football?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this weekend's play, would you swap EJ for Manziel?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can I party with each and then decide?

I watched the Browns game yesterday afternoon becuase I knew, just knew, that if Manziel was anything short of awful there would be a threat like this on TBD. My impressions of Manziel were:-

i) seemed to have control in the huddle - think his guys have taken to him. Whatever else the kid has he has natural charisma and I suspect the Browns locker room which Whitner claims is currently 50/50 will end up on Johnny's side.

ii) Made some nice throws when his first read was there.

iii) Stood in the pocket a couple of times and took the hit impressively.

iv) The only time I saw him go through any kind of progressions was with the lateral dump off near his own goal line which was a plain out risky throw. It came off for him but I actually think the sensible play there was to take the sack. Manziel is never going to be that type he is a risk and reward Quarterback.

v) Every other time his primary read was not open he set off and ran with it. That might be why to some he seemed more "decisive" than EJ. EJ is trying to learn to be a professional NFL Quarterback and go through his reads before he decides to take off. Manziel was essentially "is my guy there? No? Ok I'm scrambling."

Now that isn't to kill Johnny Manziel - it was his first pre-season game and the same as I rile against guys wanting to throw EJ under the bus after 10 regular season starts to close the book on Manziel at this stage would be idiocy. However, the long term concerns I had about his game translating from college to the NFL remain. If he wants to set off that often he will get beat up pretty bad and pretty quickly in the pros. I still think the kid can be a viable NFL starter, but my pre-draft prediction was a Vince Young type ceiling. I wish him luck in making me look foolish but let's not get carried away in calling him a superstar after 4 series in a pre-season game where he went 7/11 (no not Chris Hogan) for 63 yards against back ups.

In conclusion, this thread is stupid. But entirely predictable.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Manziel just for the entertainment value . . . and the all he does is make plays and wins . . . kind of reminds me of Johnson vs. Flutie . . . one had all the measurable, looked the part, the other didn't, he just made plays and won . . . I much prefer the winner

For all those unhappy no other QBs were brought in to compete with EJ, one question: name the last NFL team that found it's franchise QB by holding a casting call?

Seattle: they seemed to go all in on signing Matt Flynn in free agency, but still drafted Russell Wilson. San Diego drafted Philip Rivers when they still had Drew Brees. Cincinnati drafted Andy Dalton when they had Carson Palmer. Aaron Rogers was drafted when the Packers had Brett Favre. Good teams realize the importance of the QB position and take a good QB when they think they might need a need a better QB or at least to prepare for the future. Even Buffalo in the glory years spent a second rounder on Frank Reich to have a quality back-up.

Are we going to have a thread, with a completely meaningless "poll", for every QB vs EJ?

yes. not meaningless, this is the preseason. This is the time for these sorts of polls.

Seattle: they seemed to go all in on signing Matt Flynn in free agency, but still drafted Russell Wilson. San Diego drafted Philip Rivers when they still had Drew Brees. Cincinnati drafted Andy Dalton when they had Carson Palmer. Aaron Rogers was drafted when the Packers had Brett Favre. Good teams realize the importance of the QB position and take a good QB when they think they might need a need a better QB or at least to prepare for the future. Even Buffalo in the glory years spent a second rounder on Frank Reich to have a quality back-up.

And good thing the Bills did. W./o Reich there is likely no 4 straight SB's.

I voted yes not because of this past weekends game. How could you? He played with and against 2nd stringers and lower.

I voted yes because I see Manuel's potential limited to being an average NFL QB if the Bills are lucky. I think JF's potential is considerably higher than that.

But at the end of the day does the GM for either team make that trade based on the little NFL action either guy has seen? Extremely doubtful.

Absolutely not...the learning curve for a QB is generally quite steep and this year, the BILLS have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs, hell - maybe even winning the Division...in full disclosure, I'm not really a JFF fan and think that in the long-run he will hurt the team more than help it and probably be another example of a great college QB that didn't transition well to the NFL...maybe he will, maybe he'll be Johnny Unitas all over again, maybe he'll be similar to Ryan Leaf - all hype, no substance, or maybe he'll be Alex Smith: good when surrounded by other much better moving parts, but can't carry the team on his own, ala Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Petyon, etc....who knows, but for me, despite my doubts about EJ, I think he's in a better position *this* year to help the BILLS win!

Yeah but who is the better football player?

I'd take Manziel over E.J. everyday. I think most NFL teams would also.

Brown won't even take him over Hoyer...

Besides the bottom like is every one is better until they are on the bills. Then they aren't. So if EJ were elsewhere and Flutie 2 were in buf, it would be, "I can't believe we didn't take EJ, did you see that deep ball he threw?"

Brown won't even take him over Hoyer...

Besides the bottom like is every one is better until they are on the bills. Then they aren't. So if EJ were elsewhere and Flutie 2 were in buf, it would be, "I can't believe we didn't take EJ, did you see that deep ball he threw?"

Hoyer doesn't seem to suck. Could be they are bringing JF along slowly, you know, like the way teams with more than 1 viable QB like to do. Remains to be seen.

Regarding Manuel and the deep ball, we can only hope he gives people reason to make that statement.

Haha, listening to sports talk radio here and Browns fans whining they want Bortles and the Browns will forever regret not trading up for him. It's early on these rookies. Let's see what happens when the real bullets start flying. Clearly they all have the talent. But once defenses game plan to make them do things they don't want to do - keep JM in the pocket, not allow him to roll to the side he prefers, throwing up prayers.... you will get a better picture. He faced some watered-down players by the time he got in with a vanilla preseason approach. Not much to take away yet. But once the Browns go from Hoyer to Manziel, that is a one time move. Can't go back. I think it is very unlikely Manziel starts the season. Hoyer looked OK - although it doesn't look like he fully trusts his knee yet.

I'd take Manziel just for the entertainment value . . . and the all he does is make plays and wins . . . kind of reminds me of Johnson vs. Flutie . . . one had all the measurable, looked the part, the other didn't, he just made plays and won . . . I much prefer the winner

The last time the Bills made the playoffs Flutie got them there.

And deserved to start in the playoff game in Tenn.

The last time the Bills made the playoffs Flutie got them there.

And deserved to start in the playoff game in Tenn.

The defense got them there. In 1998 Flutie fumbled to help lose the playoff game the year before. Also, he never QB'd a team to a playoff win in the NFL...NEVER.

And that was 15-16 year ago. It's about time to give it a rest, don't you think?

Flutie didn't win games. Not with the Bills. Our defense won games. The Flutie-led offense was anemic (except, oddly, sometimes at the end of the 4th quarter).

Edited by hondo in seattle