The O-Line Thread

Yes he did. You are correct, sir.

To me, the thing that Maronne is weighing in his mind is which one Cordy or Henderson has the largest upside, and if it's Henderson, is he good enough to put in at LT right away. If he thinks Cordy does not have as great an upside, then it's a tough choice, but I think he'd make that move.

It's impossible to believe that a semi raw project in Cordy Glenn, with his size and athleticism, who gave up 1.5 sacks last year in only his second season, and is equally good in the run game, does not have an incredibly high ceiling. Even if Seantrell is a slightly better physical specimen. PFF, which granted isn't the end all, rated Glenn at the very top of the league. With Joe Thomas. I just can't imagine Marrone even considering such a move until after Henderson played two full years of nfl regular season games, and then it would be hard unless of injury or Cordy falling apart.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Henderson needs a year in the NFL with no issues before anyone entrusts him with a starting position, IMO. Let him work as a tackle backup, ideally in one spot like they are doing and ease him into this thing. Henderson has a lot to prove on and off the field to me before he becomes a starter.

It's great Henderson is exceeding expectations but I'm still worried that Kujo is being called Venus De Milo by his own coach:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377602/article/bills-coach-cyrus-kouandjio-could-be-venus-de-milo

I really want all 3 rooks to shine because our O Line needs to improve upon 2013. I hope the link shared by FeartheLosing is a better indicator of where Kujo is heading.

Guy i think Marrone might be stating that Henderson can play LT because he may need to start him in the opener in 23 days. Glenn hasn't even been cleared for team drills yet, and won't be in uniform Saturday.

"Cordy Glenn: The 345-pound left tackle has yet to be cleared for team drills" http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/12125/monitoring-bills-health-against-steelers

On the same note I kinda doubt that the team will move Henderson to RT, as he hasn't seem any reps at that position so far.

Guy i think Marrone might be stating that Henderson can play LT because he may need to start him in the opener in 23 days. Glenn hasn't even been cleared for team drills yet, and won't be in uniform Saturday.

"Cordy Glenn: The 345-pound left tackle has yet to be cleared for team drills" http://espn.go.com/b...gainst-steelers

On the same note I kinda doubt that the team will move Henderson to RT, as he hasn't seem any reps at that position so far.

I was surprised that Glenn took some serious hitting reps the first day of the Steelers scrimmage. I agree that Marrone is preparing as if Henderson may have to play in the opener but I fully expect Glenn to be in the lineup opening day.

Henderson also played mostly RT in college, so it wouldn't be foreign to him, and usually a tad easier to go from LT to RT than vice versa.

I think they will keep 9 on the o-line. They can't put any of the three rookies on the PS because they would have to cut them first and I don't think any of the three would clear waivers to be honest it would be too huge a risk. The one they probably had planned to PS was Henderson but the way he has shown up in pre-season they can't do that now (and probably wouldn't want to anyway).

So if you go with the 5 vets listed in the post above plus the three rookies then you are left with very little inside depth. I expect as others have said it comes down to Hariston v Legursky for the final roster spot.

I think that Henderson needs a year in the NFL with no issues before anyone entrusts him with a starting position, IMO. Let him work as a tackle backup, ideally in one spot like they are doing and ease him into this thing. Henderson has a lot to prove on and off the field to me before he becomes a starter.

Right, he needs to sit on the bench for a year, even though he is the best starting option at tackle besides Glenn, on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years, because he got caught smoking pot in college. This is nonsense. If he is the better player th\en he starts. If he messes up and gets suspended, then that is what back ups are for. You don't sit the better player and play the back up because there is a chance that your starter may get suspended if he slips up in the future. That is just silly.

Edited by Proteus

If I had to guess I'd predict our opening day Oline will be Glenn-Williams-Wood-Urbik-Pears. It's not the sexy pick, but probably the right one. Rookie OLs are rarely upgrades over average veterans.

I agree, although I would not be surprised to see Richardson and CK take over the right side as the year progresses.

Legursky's mediocrity and Hairston's inability to play center could make the Bills likely to pick up a C/G on waivers for that 9th spot.

If I had to guess I'd predict our opening day Oline will be Glenn-Williams-Wood-Urbik-Pears. It's not the sexy pick, but probably the right one. Rookie OLs are rarely upgrades over average veterans.

And you may very well be right, but I disagree about Urbik. Given Richardson and CK, I really don't think Urbik makes it to the starting line, although you did say "opening day" so I suppose asking Richardson to push for a RG starting job for week 1 might be a bit steep, but I really don't think Urbik starts long into the season, assuming you're correct in that he does start week 1...I just think the BILLS coaches believe if you've got a young player that can play, you put him in and let him develop...another reason why if Glenn can and does start week 1 as you also predict, Pears might very well also be relegated to a back up role because thus far, there is little disagreement between coaches, media, and casual observers alike that Henderson has been solid to, at times, impressive...and if Marrone is true to his word, you don't sit a guy that has been "impressive" and young, you get him in there to make him better....however, only time will tell...either way, it's the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time the BILLS have had this problem, choosing great talent to put on their line...

It's impossible to believe that a semi raw project in Cordy Glenn, with his size and athleticism, who gave up 1.5 sacks last year in only his second season, and is equally good in the run game, does not have an incredibly high ceiling. Even if Seantrell is a slightly better physical specimen. PFF, which granted isn't the end all, rated Glenn at the very top of the league. With Joe Thomas. I just can't imagine Marrone even considering such a move until after Henderson played two full years of nfl regular season games, and then it would be hard unless of injury or Cordy falling apart.

Ah, yes on the face of it I agree with you. But the good Lord, Cordy, and his Doctor only know what condition Cordy has. We all hope for and wish him the best, but it's possible it is something that could limit his upside and/or length of career.

Right now it's a blessing that these two seen as such talents in a position that the franchise has absolutely sucked at or at best - stepped on their own Johnson while screwing it up for well over a decade.

With three preseason games to go, and lots of reps in camp to go. For me Its still kind of early to see who will be starting this year.

Urbik getting schooled at LG by the Steelers D line during the scrimmages isn't helping him at all. Its the guard situation that concerns me.

You can never have enough good O tackles so I kinda doubt the Bills release Hairston.

With three preseason games to go, and lots of reps in camp to go. For me Its still kind of early to see who will be starting this year.

Urbik getting schooled at LG by the Steelers D line during the scrimmages isn't helping him at all. Its the guard situation that concerns me.

You can never have enough good O tackles so I kinda doubt the Bills release Hairston.

Yet we've been playing him at OG this preseason but it might just because our OGs suck on the whole. Say what you want but letting Levitre has hurt this team.

Boone >>

@thadbrown7: #49ers talented OG holding out for more $. #Bills have cap room, need at OG, motivation to trade picks (owner change). Paging Mr. Whaley...

If we still had our 1st and there was no chance to lose a pick for Bryce Brown I'd consider Boone but we're kind of short picks in 2015, I can't see giving up another one. As this team is looking to turn the corner to make the playoffs and not going all in for a Super Bowl run.

Who's going to play RT in this scenario?

The right side of our o-line was much less than average last season.

I bet Cordy gets put at LG when he gets back since Seantrel is doing OK and LG is a disaster

Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Richardson-Pears

So, you put a good, possibly very good LT who has proven himself for 2 NFL seasons at LG because a late round pick is playing ok in the preseason? Sorry, can't agree on that.

So, you put a good, possibly very good LT who has proven himself for 2 NFL seasons at LG because a late round pick is playing ok in the preseason? Sorry, can't agree on that.

I'm saying this coaching staff is probably thinking that. Marrone wants to put the best five out there. Today that looks like Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Richardson, and Pears. Would he try Henderson at guard? I doubt he'd move the rookie, and instead would move the vet. Some viewed Glenn as a guard from the start, and perhaps he does too.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, only I can see it happening.

I'm saying this coaching staff is probably thinking that. Marrone wants to put the best five out there. Today that looks like Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Richardson, and Pears. Would he try Henderson at guard? I doubt he'd move the rookie, and instead would move the vet. Some viewed Glenn as a guard from the start, and perhaps he does too.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, only I can see it happening.

I can't see it happening. Glenn plays the more important position. Henderson has experience playing the right side (almost as much NFL experience as he does at LT). Put Henderson at RT, move Pears inside and let him compete with the rest for the RG position.