The O-Line Thread

Who's going to play RT in this scenario?

It would be Pears starting with Hairston as swing backup. Roster would look like this: Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Hairson, Henderson, Richardson, Legursky/Kouandio. I can also see Henderson starting to get some RT reps when Glenn returns on his way to swing tackle duty. We'll see how it plays out. No way I start him though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't envision Glenn moving inside to OG regardless of how much a quality player is needed there. The need at RT is bigger IMO. With Glenn at LT, and Henderson at RT the Bills would have two lock down stud tackles for years.

I could see Hairston moving into RG or LG, and Richardson also nabbing one of those spots. Glenn, Richardson, Wood, Hairston, Henderson...Voice from a Adam Sandler movie. damn, that's a huge....

Edited by FeartheLosing

If I had to guess I'd predict our opening day Oline will be Glenn-Williams-Wood-Urbik-Pears. It's not the sexy pick, but probably the right one. Rookie OLs are rarely upgrades over average veterans.

you are probably correct. Have to wonder if Glenn will be able to play every snap from the beginning, so Henderson should see playing time. Also, I think Urbik and Pears would be on a short leash, hope the other players improve with practice as the season wears on.

There is no way they move Glenn to OG when he gets back. I don't understand the thinking on that move?? Glenn has proven he can be a legit LT in the NFL & had a very good season last year. LT is the most difficult position to play on the line and some of you want to move one of the best under 25 years old players out of that spot?

With how Henderson has been playing, I would assume that once Glenn gets back, he will be playing RT in place of Pears. He has experience at RT @ Miami so there really shouldn't be an issue with him playing on the right side.

The OG situation is a bit worrying. Williams has been hurt and I want no part of Legursky starting again. I'm hoping Richardson can make some strides and step into the LG spot if Williams can't get healthy. That would leave Urbik at RG

Glenn - Richardson - Woods - Urbik - Henderson

Just watched the game again. Legursky needs to be cut months a year ago!

I agree, and perhaps never signed, and he was signed to be the backup center. He is going to replace Eric Wood....really?

Along with not signing OG Chris Williams this year either. Williams graded in the red against the Giants and the Panthers which is something he did 7 times as a starter last year with St Louis. He is now is out with a back injury

I have no idea why this team insists on scraping the barrel of other teams to fill a very important position on the line. If the guards are poop, then the run game is going to suffer in many situations. Most particularly on trap, and short yardage plays. We have already seen the lack of improvement by getting stonewalled at the end of the opening drive in Carolina, in the red zone. Against the Steelers on third and one the OC prefers to pass because he knows he probably can't get a first down running it.

As huge as the current players are on the Bills line, they should be able to drive block any team three yards off the line. Plus, the line has a tendency to play significantly worse on the road, and even against bad teams.

I'm very concerned about the current OG situation, and although I didn't think the Bills should have paid Levitre what he wanted. I still think they have yet to adequately replace him, and he wasn't even that great at run blocking. This one position may end up being the undoing of this entire regime.

Looking at PFF stats

Hairston 77 snaps LT #1 rating in league

Henderson 122 snaps LT #19 in league

Pears 119 snaps RT #12 in league

Urbik 111 snaps RG #2 tie in league

McClain 99 snaps LG #41 in league

C. Williams 72 snaps LG #102 in league

Chris Williams signed a four-year, $13.5 million contract . The deal includes $5.5 million in guaranteed money , he is a big ? ,cut by the Bears, 2 years with Rams then not re-signed

Edited by ALF

Looking at PFF stats

Hairston 77 snaps LT #1 rating in league

Henderson 122 snaps LT #19 in league

Pears 119 snaps RT #12 in league

Urbik 111 snaps RG #2 tie in league

McClain 99 snaps LG #41 in league

C. Williams 72 snaps LG #102 in league

Please provide a link, as I don't think I can recall ever seeing Urbik or Pears ever graded that high.

What I've seen from those two players is that they tend to play their worst against good teams, and on the road.

Instant upgrade if Whaley could get this guy from the 49ers:

@JasonLaCanfora

To this point the sense among other NFL teams I've talked to is that the 49ers won't trade Boone. We'll see if that changes longer this goes

At what expense? If we can't find a RG with what we have it worries me because quite frankly it shouldn't be so darn hard to fill. As it seemed like under Gailey Urbik was good enough but why isn't he under Marrone?

Edited by The Jokeman

PFF is a paid sub.

Pro Football Focus https://www.profootballfocus.com/

I read every article they posted after every Bills game last season, and never saw grades that high that says Urbik is #2 in the league or Pears is #12. Unless those snaps are for the camp snaps or played preseason games this year.

#"s 2 & 12 in the league at what exactly? If those stats were even remotely correct the Bills would be fielding a very dominate line that would succeed in getting those short yardage run plays. That line was schooled on the road against some really bad teams last season, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and that first Jets game.

PFF ranked the Bills the #22 team in O line last season, and #13 mostly because of the outstanding (+23.0) grade by LT Cordy Glenn. The rest of the line was so bad it downgraded to a (-12.5) overall.

The Bills graded #11th at pass blocking, #29th at run blocking. What do those stats tell you when the team was the #2 rushing team by total yardage last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/2/

Glenn will leave in free agency when his rookie deal is up. Bet on it. This is the Bills we are talking about here.

I hear ya.

I don't know what the going rate is for top tackles right now, but I would start with Glenn at 6 years, 66 million and 22 to 33 million guaranteed.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Glenn will leave in free agency when his rookie deal is up. Bet on it. This is the Bills we are talking about here.

If the Bills have a new owner who is willing to spend, new GM (Whaley) calling the shots, new people working the cap (Littman is expected to be gone), and new coaches, I'm curious as to how they dealt with player contracts in the past, and previous trends, have anything whatsoever to do with how they will treat players in the future?

If the Bills have a new owner who is willing to spend, new GM (Whaley) calling the shots, new people working the cap (Littman is expected to be gone), and new coaches, I'm curious as to how they dealt with player contracts in the past, and previous trends, have anything whatsoever to do with how they will treat players in the future?

Man, never thought of this, but what if they kept Littman?

:w00t::wallbash::lol: