New sale of team thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if the owners don't know Pegula. All the need to know is he prints money and is a model owner of an NHL franchise already.

They know him. He was the name that they were hoping for at the last owners meetings.

Here you go, have fun with this column (and the email address at the bottom). This guy doesn't even know that the league confirms owners; they do not award franchises: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-nfl-celebrity-owners-david-whitely-0731-20140730,0,7331839.column

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The GR guys are completely uninformed. The NFL owners know Pegula well, he owns a sports agency that represents NFL players, which is run by one of the top agents, Todd France, and has clients including Marcel Dareus, Demariyus Thomas, Eric Decker, Prince Akamura, Dwayne Bowe, etc. They have already vetted Pegula, and he will have to sell the agency when he becomes the Bills owner.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

They know him. He was the name that they were hoping for at the last owners meetings.

Additionally, I've seen it reported in different outlets that Pegula has been "making the rounds" in recent months. It's extremely naive (and poor reporting) for any media member to suggest a multi-billionaire who already owns a professional sports franchise is "unknown" to NFL owners.

The league and owners love the guy!! He is a guy, paying cash (no debt), for the highest priced sale in league history. Depending on what number you believe for TP's net worth he can be as high as the 2nd wealthiest owner in the league (5 on the low end). They would LOVE to have this guy in their little club.

You are probably right on this. The Bills will certainly have an issue with it. There is value to the Toronto market but not nearly as much as LA and they haven't had a team in like 20 years.

Here you go, have fun with this column (and the email address at the bottom). This guy doesn't even know that the league confirms owners; they do not award franchises: http://www.orlandose...,7331839.column

Ooh--this is one that I can speak to....

I can confirm from folks I know that the other NFL owners LOVE El Pegual. He's the guy they want...especially the Krafts/Joneses. He's wealthy, cash-heavy, progressive, proactive, and has a vested interest in the area.

They will confirm him unanimously.

So happy Terry and Kim are involved. I wonder how successful he will be if he owns the Bills. I think and believe he will be treated as royalty in WNY and this family should be after all he's done for Buffalo, however when I think about the Sabres mess I wonder how he will manage the Bills and if he learned a few things. I do believe he's the best option and hopefully he will hire the right people who will make the right football decisions. I think Whaley and Marrone will stay for now but will be on a short leash.

So happy Terry and Kim are involved. I wonder how successful he will be if he owns the Bills. I think and believe he will be treated as royalty in WNY and this family should be after all he's done for Buffalo, however when I think about the Sabres mess I wonder how he will manage the Bills and if he learned a few things. I do believe he's the best option and hopefully he will hire the right people who will make the right football decisions. I think Whaley and Marrone will stay for now but will be on a short leash.

I hope and expect he's learned a thing or two. He didn't get to where he is by making the same mistake twice.

Sorry if this has been stated already but here is one fans impression of the current bidding process:

**Pegula pre lobbied his over value bid to eliminate low bidders and to expedite the process

**JBJ is bidding to gain value experience on for future bids. Assuming this is the case he will be a lot smarter next time and bid with local billionaires and not with a group from a competing geography

JBJ Sucks—he is ANTI AMERICAN. May he rest in the swamps of Jersey

Someone needs to explain precisely what "mess" Pegula created with the Sabres. He bought a team many thought was on the fringe of being a legitimate Cup contender, took away all excuses for the existing GM and coach (i.e., money), and then, when it became clear the team was not moving in the right direction, he cleaned house and has now built one of the most prospect-rich, up-and-coming franchises in the league.

His only error, in hindsight, was in not removing Regier when he bought the team -- but I wonder how many owners would have?

I think Pegula is a perfect owner -- not meddlesome in personnel decisions, supportive of the people he puts in place, and willing to spend the bucks.

Someone needs to explain precisely what "mess" Pegula created with the Sabres. He bought a team many thought was on the fringe of being a legitimate Cup contender, took away all excuses for the existing GM and coach (i.e., money), and then, when it became clear the team was not moving in the right direction, he cleaned house and has now built one of the most prospect-rich, up-and-coming franchises in the league.

His only error, in hindsight, was in not removing Regier when he bought the team -- but I wonder how many owners would have?

I think Pegula is a perfect owner -- not meddlesome in personnel decisions, supportive of the people he puts in place, and willing to spend the bucks.

I agree 110%!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here you go, have fun with this column (and the email address at the bottom). This guy doesn't even know that the league confirms owners; they do not award franchises: http://www.orlandose...,7331839.column

can't read this link, it keeps trying to get me to sign up. can you post up the text?

Agree, but he also made a mistake in hiring LaFontaine, giving him complete control over Hockey Operations then allowing Murray to back door him with the Miller trade. This directly led to LaFontaine's resignation. He should have told Murray to get Pat's approval or not hired Pat at all for that role.

The Sabres then and the Bills now are two entirely different creatures.

Sabres had an aging ineffective core that Darcy & TPegs tried to improve (or prop up?).

Since then, the Sabres have jettisoned pretty much everything old and are on a wholesale rebuild. They are acquiring dynamic play makers, have a well-respected coach, and a progressive - and aggressive - front office in place. Put another way, the Bills are a couple years ahead of where the Sabres are now.

Agree, but he also made a mistake in hiring LaFontaine, giving him complete control over Hockey Operations then allowing Murray to back door him with the Miller trade. This directly led to LaFontaine's resignation. He should have told Murray to get Pat's approval or not hired Pat at all for that role.

You don't know that's what happened.

Someone needs to explain precisely what "mess" Pegula created with the Sabres.

I have several lifelong big time Sabres fans as friends and many do not like Pegula as an owner so far. The main complaint is that he does not think things through he just reacts. The Ehrhoff signing is something they point to as an example. Signing him to a long term big contract as a knee jerk reaction then have the team pay the price.

The thought too among some is that Pegula cares too much about things like pretty locker rooms and harbor centers and not enough about the actual team performance.

I can see the points made, and it is hard to completely disagree if you follow the Sabres closely. But one thing is clear, the Sabres certainly aren't leaving Buffalo while Pegula is the owner. Plus, it is my feeling that the Sabres now may well have turned the corner this off season now that the cancer known as Darcy Regier has been removed and they had a very good draft, FA pickups, and resignings.

LaFontaine had no business being in that position in the first place and ties into what I said above about Pegula being seen as reactionary. He knee jerked that decision it's pretty clear.

Having LaFontaine in a PR role, meeting and greeting fans etc. would be fantastic. But he is not fit, in my opinion anyway, to actually make hockey decisions.

I think we can all agree that Regier was his mistake. He left his wallet behind with him and he wasted TPegs money on peeps like Ville Leino. We never could say TPEGS was cheap.