Reasons for playoff drought

Personally, I think the #1 reason for their current playoff drought has everything to do with finishing games strong. They've been right there competitively in a LOT of games that they simply don't seem to have the will to close them out. Yesterday, albeit only the first preseason action of the year, was a perfect example. The defensive starters did exactly what I would have wanted them to do. The first series was 3 plays and out. The second was a forced fumble giving the Bills the ball on the Giants 22 yard line. Then the offense gives us a lot of the same of what we've gotten in the past. 5 sputtering plays and a field goal. They will NOT be playoff contenders until they learn to take advantage of opportunities like these.

Agreed. At least last year they had two players with the capacity to step up and make a play to win the game. One of these players was lost to free agency. The other was lost to a season ending injury.

The reason the Bills haven't made the playoffs is because they haven't had a true leader in the front office since John Butler and the people since him have made some really awful decisions.

Tom Donahoe and Gregg Williams made a huge mess. One example is when they drafted Willis McGahee, not only a RB in the 1st round, but a RB that tore his ACL just a few months earlier. Nevermind his career in the NFL, you rarely draft a RB in the first round, the ROI isn't as long-lasting as other more important positions - especially when that RB shreds his ACL just a few months earlier. Oh yeah, first round pick there that was gone 3 years later. Good investment.

Then you had Mike Mularkey, the name says it all.

We let Marshawn Lynch go, the media made him out to be a bad character guy because there was nothing else to write about, fans bought into that, Marshawn is gone and now the top RB in the league coming off a Super Bowl win. Regardless to what fans think players should carry themselves, the whole point in this is to win games and win a Super Bowl. Who cares if someone gets caught with a "drug" that's about to be legalized anyway? I feel like the same story is starting to develop for Marcell Dareus.

We then make another bonehead move and sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a near $60 million contract after he lead us to a 4-2 start in 2011. That's only 6 games, you don't do that after 6 games! You do that at the end of the season.

I could bring up more examples but these are just some of the highlights.

I do think it is good that Ralph turned over more control to Russ Brandon, who I think has delegated authority pretty well to Doug Whaley and Marrone - who also seem to work together well.

The last problem is related to EJ Manuel. He's barely played half a season, and after a few passes in the first preseason game fans are wanting to scrap the board and go with Jeff Tuel or Thad Lewis, two QBs who probably couldn't make it on any other roster. Genius plan guys. We're better off bringing back Fitzpatrick.

So basically my thoughts are: 1) Bad/No leadership with the team for many years 2) Fans freakout over unrealistic expectations.

hope this helps!

Edited by thisiskeith

Go to the Pre-season wall of fame thread; it is all right there...

We SUCK a$$ at drafting talented players

Agreed, the team could have performed much better in previous drafts and that is a direct reflection of the front office talent. Let's hope that new ownership turns that around and brings in other front office personnel who can better access talent. If they continue to lose over the next couple of years before the new ownership can correct its course, they should have several high draft choices to build on. There is just no way you build a team on free agency alone.

I have been an avid Bills fan for many years, but do not live in the Buffalo area and recently have read various articles as to the various reasons for the Bills current playoff drought. What do you believe are the three main (or more if you can list them) reasons why this has occurred? Would also like your input regarding how long do you believe it will require the new ownership to return the Bills to being a playoff contending team? GO BILLS.

You don't need to look much further than horrendous drafting - Maybin, McCargo, etc. Bills threw away a lot of high end picks on those turkeys and JP Losman, etc, etc.

Turnarounds can happen fast in the NFL - see KC last year - but I would say three years of drafting right and having a good scheme and good coaches. Unfortunately we're behind the 8 ball on the draft front since we gave up so much for Watkins - a panic move. Although on the other hand, maybe we're not so far away as I thought and Watkins is the guy to put us over the top.

I’ve been lurking for a decade or so, but this question hits one of my biggest nerves as a long-time Bills fan. All teams have ups and downs, so why has ours lasted so long. The number one reason in my mind is talent drain by attrition. When I’m around the water-cooler, I call this the “Fat Pat” syndrome. Ask yourself this question; after letting Pat Williams walk, how long was it before we had a replacement of equal caliber?

In my mind, there was not a viable replacement for Pat Williams until Kyle Williams. That’s a lot of years and a lot of failed replacements. To make it even worse, you also have to factor in what could have been gained if we didn’t have to “draft-to-need” (Troupe for example).

McGahee might have been a jerk, but he was an effective back as recently as 2012. In this time period, the Bills spent a first on Lynch and then another on CJ. It’s not that I didn’t think Lynch was immature, or that CJ is a bad back, but we paid three times for essentially the same output. It's almost like reverse moneyball. Those picks might have (for example) been the QB we’ve needed.

Riemersma was not the second coming of Ozzie Newsome, but one can argue that we have not had a better TE since. Greer was someone we could afford to let walk, but the following year he was good enough to start for the SB Saints. Fletcher was driven out of town and a 2nd was spent on Poz, who in turn was sent out of town to spend a 2nd on Kiko. Safety after safety has been sent packing to better defenses while the Bills draft more (Donte, Byrd, etc.).

You may disagree with my specific examples (and I imagine I’ll be immediately flayed for mentioning some of the players above), but I imagine many of you could assemble a pretty extensive list of these. My point is that the Bills personnel decisions create more talent holes than they can fill given fixed financial means and limited draft picks. None of these are individually fatal, but extrapolation over years creates a giant sucking sound as talent leaves the area -- and perpetual 6-10.

I’m not talking about the Clements-to-SF type deal. As I recall, Pat Williams went to the Vikings for something like 2.6M/yr. Riemersma was 3.3M/yr. Greer left for 5.6M/yr. None of these were red-letter amounts in their day. The reason we should have paid them is because there was a lot of tread left on the tires and we did not have viable replacements at the time of departure. The difference between teams that rebuild and teams that reload is that the latter have a plug-in replacement in-hand before they create a void.

In my mind, that is the reason for the drought. I think we now have the highest talent level in a long time. If we retain the young studs (CJ, Dareus, Gilmour, Kiko, etc.) we can use FA and the draft to shore up the handful of remaining holes, OR we can let them walk, scramble to replace them, and stay 6-10 for the next decade.

Thanks for listening. Don’t flame me too badly.

Edited by _Underscore_

I agree with these 3, but hoping with new ownership that they will invest what is required to improve the front office and then hopefully its a dominion effect after that, an improved front office will equate to improved coaching hires and improved player selection and eventually they will land a top tier QB.

Perhaps you have not noticed, but the front office is MUCH improved, IMO, with Doug Whaley at GM. Drafting seems to be much better the last 2 drafts, likely due to Whaley and whatever scouts and FO people (Jim Monos, etc) Whaley has hired.

Poor drafting (philosophically and in actuality, as another poster pointed out) has brought sub-standard talent and deficiency at key positions (ahem, QB!).

I like the direction the Bills are heading, FO-wise at least. The coaching staff needs to prove their value this season.

If our QB is not up to speed just yet, hopefully the Bills can kick some ass with the running game. I love the additions of Dixon and Brown to the RB corps.

Brady urinal products

https://products.bra...NTS/URINAL.aspx

Edited by Dennis in AZ

1.)Curse of Flutie

2.)Curse of Billy Buffalo

3.)Curse of Cutting 3 HoFers unceremoniously.

If the Bills re-sign Thurmal, Bruuce and Reed then throw them a press conference where they celebrate their tenure and wish them well in future endeavors before they waive them. In that Press Conference they allow Flutie to START a chainsaw that will be used to behead Billy Buffalo and rid Billy Buffalo from the franchise.

Then the Bills will make the Playoffs.

Simple.

#1 Reason - Past ownership and the clan of insiders that have ruled the Bills from the time of the Super Bowls (and before)

R.I.P RWS - you did it your way to which you were certainly entitled to do as it was your team

If the new owners even mention bringing in A.J. Smith (in his newly minted role as a consultant) anywhere near Orchard Park - be very afraid.