Dameshek and Jeremiah talking Bills

Lothar

Interesting discussion between Dameshek and Jeremiah - essentially stating what we all know - that "you compare rosters across the league and the Bills look favorable on 21 of 22 positions". Also they've seen that we've got some rook wideout who might turn out ok.

http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2014/07/28/ddfp-278-daniel-jeremiah-michael-fabiano/

To summarize the 7 minutes of discussion (it's the first segment of the podcast), if the ground game gets going and EJ can throw more than just quick slants, they like our chances.

That's what I thought as well. They have a lot of questions marks. Can this questionable coaching staff have a better year? How will the defense respond to another new defensive system with Schwartz? Will EJ Manuel progress? Will he stay healthy? Will the offensive line improve? How will the defense come together after losing two of their best players last year in Byrd and Kiko? I just think there are too many questions in very important aspects to think playoffs. I'd be surprised if they got to 8-8.

They also said that we have talent at 21 of 22 starting positions.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

and obviously QB. Do they mention which starting position we don't have talent at?

I haven't watched yet, but I'd guess it was the one you feel is obvious. We are almost the opposite of the Colts. They have one great young player and need to fill most of the other 21 holes (OK, a bit of hyperbole, but not too much), and we have 21 spots filled with the most critical spot in question.

Yet the Colts are a good football team because of that one great player at the most important position on the field. The QB position makes or breaks your football team which is why I'm so skeptical about the Bills.

QB is overrated in importance. Good teams win, not one good player.

Obviously these guys are drunk on kool-aid. Don't they realize that everyone on the Bills stink and the team needs to be blown up?

Right on. If this is hockey, we have just gone through a 3 year rebuild....and before our new team even hits the ice for the first game?

We're sellers. Now, nevermind before the deadline. "Trade/cut everybody, there's no point in even playing the games this season. Todd McShay said EJ was a wasted pick, and he knows things, and I like carrying water for ESPN hacks, so...we need to find a new QB". :bag:

Don't you at least have to allow the rebuilt team 1 year to play, before you blow it up? Since when does 3/15 recent rookie QBs being instantly successful, against the legions that haven't been over the course of the last 20 years, suffice as a "trend", that all NFL teams must now follow in lockstep?

WTF is this absurdity?

This board has been batshit crazy this week.

Examples of batshit crazy:

"Let's trade CJ...in a contract year! We'll get a 1 for a RB! Smart move! And damned counterintuitive, since the entire league refused to spend a 1 on RB this draft. They are bound to want to spend one next draft! But even better, why wait? Who wants to spend that 1 on a RB right now?" :wacko:

"We traded away a chance at drafting a better QB than EJ, by trading up for Sammy Watkins! We could have drafted a sure thing QB....from #s 12-25(ahem, our REALISITIC, because it is PROBABLE, draft position next year) in the draft! Because you know, the teams at #1-5 routinely let sure thing/better than EJ QBs go right by them! :lol:) :wacko:

"Andre Reed says F Bon Jovi....but we'd rather talk about the other things he said...because they matter!" :wacko: :wacko:

I'll ask again: What in the Sam hell is happening here?

My guess? This is what happens when Clown 1 and 2 at WGR are taken seriously.

Yet the Colts are a good football team because of that one great player at the most important position on the field. The QB position makes or breaks your football team which is why I'm so skeptical about the Bills.

The last three Super Bowl winning quarterbacks:

2013: Russel Wilson

2012: Joe Flacco

2011: Eli Manning

None of whom fall into anyone's top 5 list, and I'm sure you could find plenty of top 10 lists that don't include any of them, either.

The growing sense is that the league is returning back to a ground and pound league.

EXACTLY! Playoff team even and first round winner! But I'm silly enough to remain hopeful that EJ can improve sufficiently that we can compete for a playoff spot. As others have said, he just doesn't appear to be a natural thrower of the ball. Maybe that can be improved upon. (Gee, has this been brought up by anyone before?) I do like our roster more than I have in many years.

Edited by Augie

None of whom fall into anyone's top 5 list, and I'm sure you could find plenty of top 10 lists that don't include any of them, either.

The growing sense is that the league is returning back to a ground and pound league.

This I find very encouraging. I do think we're built to be successful in the mold of the Seahawks. Great D and a solid running game. The O-Line coming around goes hand in hand with EJ stepping up. He can't do it without good protection and a great running game. We've got the backs, we need the running lanes.

Wow u need to let the entire league know about what u just discovered. HUH, a QB driven league, maybe your team only goes as far as your QB can? HMMMMMM interesting, so u wouldnt argue that this team has basically sucked since JK12 retired. Man I have been trying to figure out what has been wrong since like 97!

this means Marrone is ahead of the curve ?

QB is overrated in importance. Good teams win, not one good player.

Promo

I don't think Good teams need a Great QB to win; but they do need one good QB to manage the game. Wilson was just that for the Hawks last year.

My fear on this team is the coaching staff; Do they have the right things to put this team in the right place mentally to win. Too often this team does not play 60 minutes of awareness football...The games against Atlanta, KC are good proof where we let the games slip. Good teams lock it down and take the win. That comes down to coaching.

Interesting discussion between Dameshek and Jeremiah - essentially stating what we all know - that "you compare rosters across the league and the Bills look favorable on 21 of 22 positions". Also they've seen that we've got some rook wideout who might turn out ok.

http://davedameshek....ichael-fabiano/

To summarize the 7 minutes of discussion (it's the first segment of the podcast), if the ground game gets going and EJ can throw more than just quick slants, they like our chances.

It is so July. You can set your watch to this stuff.

Right on. If this is hockey, we have just gone through a 3 year rebuild....and before our new team even hits the ice for the first game?

We're sellers. Now, nevermind before the deadline. "Trade/cut everybody, there's no point in even playing the games this season. Todd McShay said EJ was a wasted pick, and he knows things, and I like carrying water for ESPN hacks, so...we need to find a new QB". :bag:

Don't you at least have to allow the rebuilt team 1 year to play, before you blow it up? Since when does 3/15 recent rookie QBs being instantly successful, against the legions that haven't been over the course of the last 20 years, suffice as a "trend", that all NFL teams must now follow in lockstep?

WTF is this absurdity?

This board has been batshit crazy this week.

Examples of batshit crazy:

"Let's trade CJ...in a contract year! We'll get a 1 for a RB! Smart move! And damned counterintuitive, since the entire league refused to spend a 1 on RB this draft. They are bound to want to spend one next draft! But even better, why wait? Who wants to spend that 1 on a RB right now?" :wacko:

"We traded away a chance at drafting a better QB than EJ, by trading up for Sammy Watkins! We could have drafted a sure thing QB....from #s 12-25(ahem, our REALISITIC, because it is PROBABLE, draft position next year) in the draft! Because you know, the teams at #1-5 routinely let sure thing/better than EJ QBs go right by them! :lol:) :wacko:

"Andre Reed says F Bon Jovi....but we'd rather talk about the other things he said...because they matter!" :wacko: :wacko:

I'll ask again: What in the Sam hell is happening here?

My guess? This is what happens when Clown 1 and 2 at WGR are taken seriously.

:thumbsup:

The NFL marketing department calls this loser Luck great and everyone just buys in. Seven count em 7 playoff turnovers called and said they trump the marketing department. Luck stinks out loud.

I don't think Good teams need a Great QB to win; but they do need one good QB to manage the game. Wilson was just that for the Hawks last year.

My fear on this team is the coaching staff; Do they have the right things to put this team in the right place mentally to win. Too often this team does not play 60 minutes of awareness football...The games against Atlanta, KC are good proof where we let the games slip. Good teams lock it down and take the win. That comes down to coaching.

I share that concern as well.

Simply put the offensive scheme they utilized wasn't very successful at winning games as the offense had virtually no ball control, and couldn't stay on the field to finish drives often enough. I'm hoping the rookie coaching staff learned from last seasons mistakes. We will see soon enough, 3days, 18 hours.

Any reason you listed two QBs drafted in the first round, plus a once in decade freak of nature who, if 2" taller would have been a certain first round pick (and his play justifies a high selection?)

Any reason you listed two QBs drafted in the first round, plus a once in decade freak of nature who, if 2" taller would have been a certain first round pick (and his play justifies a high selection?)

If we're going to play the "if" game, then EJ is much more of a "once in a decade" freak than Russel Wilson.

I listed the last three Super Bowl winning QB's. Was your intent in listing their draft status to suggest they were more instrumental to their teams' success than asserted?

If we're going to play the "if" game, then EJ is much more of a "once in a decade" freak than Russel Wilson.

I listed the last three Super Bowl winning QB's. Was your intent in listing their draft status to suggest they were more instrumental to their teams' success than asserted?

Far more often than not, a team wins on the back of the QB, that's why it was correctly pointed out that Colts made the playoffs despite a relatively weak roster. When those teams won the SB, their QBs certainly played at a very high level. I don't think we need to go over that argument which has been beaten to death.

http://davedameshek....ichael-fabiano/

Ground game is key on both sides, eh?

I share that concern as well.

Simply put the offensive scheme they utilized wasn't very successful at winning games as the offense had virtually no ball control, and couldn't stay on the field to finish drives often enough. I'm hoping the rookie coaching staff learned from last seasons mistakes. We will see soon enough, 3days, 18 hours.

Bills averaged 28:43 in TOP last season compared to 30:11 in Thomas Chandler Gailey's last season. They ran 442 running plays in 2012 and 546 last season. When you run the ball over 100 times more than the previous season and you also drop in TOP that's not a good thing. You can point to the run defense, you can point to the growing pains at QB (not just EJ), you can point to the coaching, but, whatever reason(s) you choose that's not a good stat.

Bills averaged 28:43 in TOP last season compared to 30:11 in Thomas Chandler Gailey's last season. They ran 442 running plays in 2012 and 546 last season. When you run the ball over 100 times more than the previous season and you also drop in TOP that's not a good thing. You can point to the run defense, you can point to the growing pains at QB (not just EJ), you can point to the coaching, but, whatever reason(s) you choose that's not a good stat.

The Bills had WAY too many 3-and-outs on offense. The good news is that they have talked about this repeatedly during the offseason practices and training camp as a focus. Become even average in that area, combined with a stronger run D, and I'd expect the TOP figure to improve.