Glad Byrd is gone

A player has only so many years to play so I do not blame them when they try to do everything they can to make more money. That said I think the Saints overpaid for Byrd. He is good, but his health issues will affect both playing time and performance.

If he remained a Bill, the chat rooms would be full of complaints saying how we overpaid for a physical basket case.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we would be a much better team with Byrd than without him. I'm sure the Saints were aware of his back situation and were comfortable with it. It sounds like he will be ready to practice soon. He is a top player in this league, people may not like him because he held out but make no mistake, he's a superstar.

If money and other circumstances are off the table this^^^. The Bills are not good enough across the board to lose this kind of talent.

Not for nothing, but I find it iconic that Byrd is unable to play or practice for at least the near future. After signing a contract worth 26 Million in guaranteed money he goes and has back surgery. Glad he ain't here. God know he would have dragged his return to the line up till about mid season. a great player for sure....but what a douch!

Link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000368683/article/jairus-byrd-to-practice-for-saints-sooner-than-later

BigPappy

I don't disagree, he is a superstar. But like JR said, he seems to be a guy that is always nicked up, not a 100% went he plays. I probably should have been more specific when I said I found it ironic though. What is Ironic is that he had back surgery and he will be back for the start of the season. But when he was a Bill, he had "plantar fasciitis" and couldn't play for how long into the season? Total ploy on his part. It's more of a point that because he was franchised last year, he didn't want to play here. He wasn't getting the money he wanted so he said F U Buffalo, I.m not playing until I have to!

JMO anyway....BigPappy

BigPappy

Hey, thanks for your "opinion". others may not agree. But by all means post the link where he said FU Buffalo I am not playing until I have to! or is that part of your opinion?

I wouldn't dispute that Byrd is a good player. He may have been the best in our secondary last season, given the injury to Gilmore. None the less, I'm as happy as the OP that he's gone. This team does not need more drama. All he and Stevie did was add a dramatic element to a losing team. I would rather have guys that to a degree are pissed off that they're losing and come together to turn that around. Byrd, quite frankly, was a "me first" guy.

Hey, thanks for your "opinion". others may not agree. But by all means post the link where he said FU Buffalo I am not playing until I have to! or is that part of your opinion?

Actually i dont have to provide a link, if you payed any attention to the team you call yourself a fan of you would know he said it through his actions. He had reached the point in the season where he was going to have to play or go on ir. and he knew if he went on ir he had no chance of a big contract if he had no oppotunity of showing off his talents for next season. Thats a big F U to Buffalo.

Bigpappy

Edited by BigPappy

Actually i dont have to provide a link, if you payed any attention to the team you call yourself a fan of you would know he said it through his actions. He had reached the point in the season where he was going to have to play or go on ir. and he knew if he went on ir he had no chance of a big contract if he had no oppotunity of showing off his talents for next season. Thats a big F U to Buffalo.

Bigpappy

I post all sorts of iconic things for the team i call myself a fan of. well, when I have the oppotunity.

I truely believe we will not miss him at all. He was a Drama Queen and a big distraction to the team. I want to say Greed had something to do with it. Really don't Lynch either. Another Drama Queen- and his mother said once we got to know him we would love him. NOT

Byrd hasn't missed any regular season games for New Orleans yet.

What's odd here is (like always) fans get ticked when a good player leaves their team for a big contract. Happened with Peters, happened with Levitre, et al. Buffalo still didn't have a replacement on the roster and if one thinks Aaron Williams as that guy, well, how does one feel about Search, Duke Williams, or Meeks starting? That's 5 NFL seasons of experience there and less than half a season worth of games started.

Who cares what Byrd does now? This Bills saved some cash and are going with younger, cheaper and less proven options.

We all "payed" attention to this long ago. It's only pre-season. That was during NFL free agency.

I never understand when people are glad a very good player and solid locker room leader move on.

I can see accepting it, understanding it, agreeing with it... But being glad makes no sense.

Thank you.

I feel like I'm on some kind of bus full of bitter ex-girlfriends.

I'm going to miss Byrd when he's in the playoffs for the first time in his career.

Whitner I don't mind sh--ting on because he was a poor leader who led with his mouth, first, and his play second, and he was above average at best. Byrd was recognized by his peers and by the media as being one of the top 5 or so at his position.

I think AW will prove to be the better more complete player. The only area I can give Byrd the nod is his absolute ELITE instincts. Searcy deserves to play more also.

Reportedly Duke W has gotten very limited time with the 1s at SS thus far at camp and I expect AW/Searcy back there

I wouldn't dispute that Byrd is a good player. He may have been the best in our secondary last season, given the injury to Gilmore. None the less, I'm as happy as the OP that he's gone. This team does not need more drama. All he and Stevie did was add a dramatic element to a losing team. I would rather have guys that to a degree are pissed off that they're losing and come together to turn that around. Byrd, quite frankly, was a "me first" guy.

Spot on. This team is better off without him. The last thing a young team & new coaching staff needs is a player that doesn't want to be here/thinks he is above the rest of the team.

His attitude going into last season was terrible and detriment to the team. If you're Marrone, you do not want all of your young players exposed to that type of toxic attitude from one your supposed "veteran leaders"

Yea, he's a great safety but like everything else in life, attitude is everything.

how does one feel about Search, Duke Williams, or Meeks starting? That's 5 NFL seasons of experience there and less than half a season worth of games started.

Who cares what Byrd does now? [/b]This Bills saved some cash and are going with younger, cheaper and less proven options.[/b]

Bully for them. It was the correct play. Byrd's past is irrelevant relative to a future contract. Any team that signs a player to a long term deal is paying for expected future results, not past performance.

These guys are commodities, not family members.