CJ Spiller contract (Jamaal charles deal)

and our passing attack is struggling.

^^^^ This

Not trying to hijack this to make it an EJ thread; but he is very concerning as our only legit QB. We need to be a run heavy team until either EJ develops more or we we decide it is time to draft another....

Our RBs compliment each other perfectly...CJ is worth re-upping. How anyone can say he isn't is beyond me; the stats don't lie in this case....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PFT is reporting that with the new money, Charles is basically making 28 mil over 4 years.

I would think CJ would get a better deal than that. So, unless we are looking at a 30-35 mill deal over 4 years, I think he will leave.

JR, how do you figure CJ's deal will top Charles? The production between the two isn't all that close.

im quite the pessimist when it comes to the bills, but i think with the talent at wideout, a healthy spiller should be able to have an absolute monster year.

Why do you post here?? It was just a week or two ago that you insisted we go 0-16 and claimed to be quite te optimist.... Now you are a pessimist??? Your story changes like the wind and you have nothing to offer

Never understood this type of thinking. Two years ago when he was healthy the guy had 1700 all purpose yards and a SIX yard per carry average. And you say his production doesn't support the hype? Come on man, that's the very definition of production.

How in the world do you think he is more valuable to some other team when Freddy is one of the oldest runners in the league, we play in a stadium that can be very windy and requires a solid running game, and our passing attack is struggling.

I cant think of one other team that needs him MORE than we do.

That was in a different offense with different coaches. Welcome to 2 years ago

Who suggested $9 million?

Wow, second time in this thread. Lol

Spiller will produce closer to 2012's totals than 2013's- this year...

I would like to believe that but I don't see it happening for a lot of reasons. He will be splitting carries with 2 other guys. He won't get enough touches. There's only 1 ball to go around. Not to mention the way Hackett uses him. His favorite play to call is for EJ to stand in the shotgun and then go "here is the ball now run up the middle." It's a joke. Fred and Brown will do fine in that offense because they will power through the line. CJ dances in the hole then tries to break it outside. That's not the way to use him, clearly. Unless they drastically change the offense then it's just going to be more the same in 2014

I would like to believe that but I don't see it happening for a lot of reasons. He will be splitting carries with 2 other guys. He won't get enough touches. There's only 1 ball to go around. Not to mention the way Hackett uses him. His favorite play to call is for EJ to stand in the shotgun and then go "here is the ball now run up the middle." It's a joke. Fred and Brown will do fine in that offense because they will power through the line. CJ dances in the hole then tries to break it outside. That's not the way to use him, clearly. Unless they drastically change the offense then it's just going to be more the same in 2014

1,350 all purpose yards, that's all CJ needs to prove me right....'

I see brown as being more Fred's replacement than cj's. We are one of the most run heavy teams in the league so we need as many legs as possible.

Legs are, relatively speaking, exceptionally cheap in the NFL & the position has become plug & play. Barring a monster season (which I don't expect based on past accomplishments) I can't see the team being interested in re-signing him unless it is at their price.

You don't limit touches in a win now mode.

Also it's a 3 year deal b/c it is an extension to his existing deal, which has a year left. It's either 18 total or 22 total. Either way it presents a good ceiling for CJ's next deal. I like the bush comparison too.

No, but you better put your best, most able bodied players on the field. CJ is explosive, but...

Spiller will produce closer to 2012's totals than 2013's- this year...

I hope he does. But his history says your wrong. He's good 25% of the time. And that's when he's not splitting carries between 3 other backs that have all shown really good reasons why they should be playing.

and you know he will be extended????

Please a link would be nice.

Lol...

As to you post regarding you favorite 25% figure- I just have a hunch that he will be a 1,000 yard back this year.... Not hampered by that high ankle sprain (which severely effects his running style) and through utilizing him a little differently...

I have been wrong before- but for this teams sake, let's hope I am right...

Bryce Brown had two decent games last season. Other than that saying he was average would be an overstatement. Dixon is a ST player and a fringe roster player. If the front office doesn't bring Spiller and or Jackson back I think the 2015 starting RB isn't on the roster.

Maybe Brown is a guy who needs an opportunity. His game log indicate he's an all or nothing guy not on Spillers level. Even in his best game as a pro he had two fumbles one arguably that cost his team the game. I don't think he's the answer and that Philly made out in that trade.

CJ has terrible vision, meaning he has a hard time seeing the holes. He’s struggled with it for a good chunk of his career. After some time in Chan’s blocking scheme, he got better and produced like the stud we all hoped that he would be. Last season was a new blocking scheme and he again struggled leaving a lot of yards on the field with many missed cutbacks. He still tries to outrun everyone to the sideline like he did at Clemson. This being his 2nd year in with the scheme, maybe he’ll start to get comfortable again and get back to his 2012 form.

Put me on the side that doesn’t think CJ will get enough carries to put up 1200 rushing yards this season, unless someone else gets injured. Maybe he comes in and plays so well that the coaches are almost forced to give him the ball, keeping Brown on the bench. Maybe Brown has a few early fumbles and ends up in the dog house (fumbles are why Philly was willing to trade him for a mid round pick). Maybe Fred will finally hit that wall…please not that!!!!

There are too many variables. Anyway you look at it, none of us know how this staff really feels about CJ. They may love him, they may have no desire to resign him at all. This season could change their opinion one way or the other. The one positive is that with the depth we currently have, we should finally have some leverage once the contract negotiations begin instead of having our backs to the wall like so many times in the past.

CJ has terrible vision, meaning he has a hard time seeing the holes. He’s struggled with it for a good chunk of his career. After some time in Chan’s blocking scheme, he got better and produced like the stud we all hoped that he would be. Last season was a new blocking scheme and he again struggled leaving a lot of yards on the field with many missed cutbacks. He still tries to outrun everyone to the sideline like he did at Clemson. This being his 2nd year in with the scheme, maybe he’ll start to get comfortable again and get back to his 2012 form.

Put me on the side that doesn’t think CJ will get enough carries to put up 1200 rushing yards this season, unless someone else gets injured. Maybe he comes in and plays so well that the coaches are almost forced to give him the ball, keeping Brown on the bench. Maybe Brown has a few early fumbles and ends up in the dog house (fumbles are why Philly was willing to trade him for a mid round pick). Maybe Fred will finally hit that wall…please not that!!!!

There are too many variables. Anyway you look at it, none of us know how this staff really feels about CJ. They may love him, they may have no desire to resign him at all. This season could change their opinion one way or the other. The one positive is that with the depth we currently have, we should finally have some leverage once the contract negotiations begin instead of having our backs to the wall like so many times in the past.

Brown was traded because he was there 3rd string RB and the Bills overpaid for him.