CJ Spiller contract (Jamaal charles deal)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years and $16M was the Reggie Bush deal....that is the most applicable contract of anyone in the league. The Bills should definitely keep him at that.

This is all that needs to be said. Spiller at 4M a year is a simple decision... Reggie Bush and Spiller are perfect comparison. Spiller beats him in rushing, and Bush beats Spiller in receiving. I think they could even get him 5.5M per year. He's an elite talent, and if the coaches can't find a way to use him, they should be replaced.

Way too early to determine that...

Agreed. Whaley said he had been trying to get him for 18 months. He is 23, has very little wear and tear, and is lighting fast. He will eventually replace Fred. Worth a 4th rounder, which will actually be the one we got from the Niners for Stevie IIRC.

Way too early to determine that...

Is too early for some fans to predict Brown will be a better rb than Spiller? Because for some reason, some fans have here already.

And if Spiller is used correctly as a weapon and not like Jerome Bettis, he can be a very valuable piece for 4 to 5 million per year.

Agreed. Whaley said he had been trying to get him for 18 months. He is 23, has very little wear and tear, and is lighting fast. He will eventually replace Fred. Worth a 4th rounder, which will actually be the one we got from the Niners for Stevie IIRC.

I guess but what has Brown really proven ever?

Is too early for some fans to predict Brown will be a better rb than Spiller? Because for some reason, some fans have here already.

And if Spiller is used correctly as a weapon and not like Jerome Bettis, he can be a very valuable piece for 4 to 5 million per year.

It's too early to say anything about Brown... We've seen him have great game, we've seen him fumble... I see people claiming that he's spiller's replacement and some say Fred's... I think that he's quality depth that holds upside as our current #3 back.

If Whaley has been trying so hard to get him for that amount of time, it tells me he really likes the kid (for the price) and from what Whaley has shown me- I will be all on board with the move until proven otherwise...

It's too early to say anything about Brown... We've seen him have great game, we've seen him fumble... I see people claiming that he's spiller's replacement and some say Fred's... I think that he's quality depth that holds upside as our current #3 back.

If Whaley has been trying so hard to get him for that amount of time, it tells me he really likes the kid (for the price) and from what Whaley has shown me- I will be all on board with the move until proven otherwise...

Very fair take. I just get frustrated with people trying to crap on CJ all the time when every fan base would welcome him in a second.

Nothing that a 4th round RB picked this season would have proven yet - other than he can produce in the NFL in the time he has had on the field. In 83 touches last season, he had 0 fumbles. His fumbles were as a rookie, which is quite common.

I don't think he is Spiller's replacement - just my gut. I think they keep Spiller and whenever Fred hangs it up, Brown takes over that spot. They will use more than one RB in this offense, I believe (similar to when Marrone was in NO). That is the trend of the NFL as well. In the meantime while Fred is still here, Brown can spell him on carries as well as allow them to play both Spiller and Fred at the same time without the need to keep one of them fresh. Also with their history of injury, further insurance. JMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

Nothing that a 4th round RB picked this season would have proven yet - other than he can produce in the NFL in the time he has had on the field. In 83 touches last season, he had 0 fumbles. His fumbles were as a rookie, which is quite common.

I don't think he is Spiller's replacement - just my gut. I think they keep Spiller and whenever Fred hangs it up, Brown takes over that spot. They will use more than one RB in this offense, I believe (similar to when Marrone was in NO). That is the trend of the NFL as well. In the meantime while Fred is still here, Brown can spell him on carries as well as allow them to play both Spiller and Fred at the same time without the need to keep one of them fresh. Also with their history of injury, further insurance. JMO.

100%

People ask me about Brown, and the best description I can come up with is that he is the combination of Fred and CJ... Which is why I can see him replacing either, but Fred only has a couple years left... I sure hope we can lock up CJ for 4-5m/year

100%

People ask me about Brown, and the best description I can come up with is that he is the combination of Fred and CJ... Which is why I can see him replacing either, but Fred only has a couple years left... I sure hope we can lock up CJ for 4-5m/year

And again, this is just my gut... but I think CJ wants to stay. And will for a nice contract. He still doesn't have an agent. While I do think some team could end up offering more in FA (example, if Denver doesn't win the SB this year and Peyton wants to go one more year, he could be a missing cog in that offnese and they break the bank due to a short SB window). But I'm not sure it gets that far. I think they extend him. Plus, and this could mean nothing, but Sammy is their golden boy and he is very close to CJ. EJ also seems to really like him. If they want Sammy happy, that might also factor in. But, it will all come down to how he performs this year. It took him a minute to pick up Chan's offense. I think he will be more effective this year with a year under his belt of Marrone/Hackett's. He isn't the most intelligent guy but as an RB, that's OK once you have the offense down.

Lol...

As to you post regarding you favorite 25% figure- I just have a hunch that he will be a 1,000 yard back this year.... Not hampered by that high ankle sprain (which severely effects his running style) and through utilizing him a little differently...

I have been wrong before- but for this teams sake, let's hope I am right...

not exactly shootin for the stars if your hoping for 1,000 there are ya. That's less than 63 yards a game. Just so you know I case they don't have calculators in PA. Edited by mrags

Uh...no

He did have one good game last year. Aside from that he wasn't a good. He's 23 and unproven and so are most rookies. In a league where the running back really has no value the Bills traded for a 3rd string one. I don't see him as anything more than a guy who'll come in fill the role Tashard Choice had in the past. He's not Spiller and wasn't a 1st rd pick so he's got that going for him in fans eyes.