Who is Sammy Watkins

ganesh

I see so many words and metaphors to describe Watkins. However, I still can't figure out what differentiates him from the rest of the WRs that were selected in the draft. He definitely does not have the height of a Megatron or Andre Johnson. What is it that really causes him to be an elite talent compared to the others.

PS: This is not a rant against Watkins. I love the fact that the Bills traded up and drafted him. From an Xs and Os point of view I simply want to understand why he is different from the others.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes him so valuable is his versatility. You can line him up inside or out, he blocks, and his speed forces defenses to respect him and give him a cushion which he can then exploit with his superb run-after-catch abilities. Combine that with what appears to be an unbelievable work ethic and drive to get better each and every day and you have a player to get really excited about.

I see so many words and metaphors to describe Watkins. However, I still can't figure out what differentiates him from the rest of the WRs that were selected in the draft. He definitely does not have the height of a Megatron or Andre Johnson. What is it that really causes him to be an elite talent compared to the others.

PS: This is not a rant against Watkins. I love the fact that the Bills traded up and drafted him. From an Xs and Os point of view I simply want to understand why he is different from the others.

He has more desire, more passion and a stronger will to "make it happen". He's just a little bit quicker to mentally pull from that and makes quicker physical decisions. They are all good, he just always "punches first". That's my early take on him.

Edited by SJDK

What makes him so valuable is his versatility. You can line him up inside or out, he blocks, and his speed forces defenses to respect him and give him a cushion which he can then exploit with his superb run-after-catch abilities. Combine that with what appears to be an unbelievable work ethic and drive to get better each and every day and you have a player to get really excited about.

All of this, plus ELITE acceleration and the ability to cut on a dime will allow him to get consistent separation against DBs. Also ability to go up and "high point" jump balls, outmuscle defenders and come down with the ball.

Word from outside observers are:

1. He has demonstrated an ability to get fast separation from opposing coverage guys. One of the things which allowed Stevie Johnson to make the production he accomplished here of multiple 1000 yard seasons was his difficult to measure ability to get separation. Watkins also apparently has that ability.

1a. I was actually quite impressed with comments he made in a recent Peter King article where he talked about how he varies his method of starting out a route to produce this separation. He seems to be thoughtful about making an effort to get an opposing DB to adopt a pattern of covering him tight but he then runs a stop and go or to when the opponent gives him space he then is more likely to fake the fly but turn the route in. He will need to develop chemistry with Manual so they make the same read.

2. He has shown very good hands so far in practice making one handed grabs routinely

3. He has also apparently shown an excellent sense of timing going up well for the ball and making the top of his jump coincide with arrival of the ball. Even though he may be shorter than the gargantuan player he demonstrated an ability in college to make plays.

These are all aspects which make him special apparently that may not be reflected in the measurements you mentioned.

He has elite timing and field vision. Can't teach that. Has to take the rigors of a whole NFL season. There seems to be a little Cordarrelle Patterson in him.

Gotta warn ya, probably going to hit a wall at some point. (others will immediately clamor for another receiver, who I will not mention, nyuk nyuk)

Makes CJ expendable and they draft a RB in round 2-3. Perhaps Spiller runs kicks back this year until he pukes.

Word from outside observers are:

1. He has demonstrated an ability to get fast separation from opposing coverage guys. One of the things which allowed Stevie Johnson to make the production he accomplished here of multiple 1000 yard seasons was his difficult to measure ability to get separation. Watkins also apparently has that ability.

But Watkins doesn't get touched on the way to the endzone, whereas "hewhoshallnotbementionedbyme" would be tracked down after 16 yds by a run-support strong safety/hybrid linebacker. And then fumble...and then blame god...but I digress

I don't think Andre Johnson is as tall as you think he is. At the combine in 2003 his height was measured at 6-1 3/4, Sammy Watkins measured in at 6-1, so they are pretty close in terms of size. They are also pretty close in speed. Andre didn't run at the combine, but at his pro day ran a supposed 4.41 forty. Sammy ran a 4.43 forty at the combine.

He certainly won't be confused with a Megatron type WR.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

All of this, plus ELITE acceleration and the ability to cut on a dime will allow him to get consistent separation against DBs. Also ability to go up and "high point" jump balls, outmuscle defenders and come down with the ball.

Acceleration and explosiveness are definitely factors. I also think the league (and country) bought into the idea of SWAT because he is still very raw. This is not be said that he isn't NFL ready because it appears he is. But he has tremendous room to grow. The ceiling with this guy is growing higher, as it seems. His route running and understanding of the game have never been explored, pushed or refined to the point they will be as a professional. I'm excited to see his growth as he perfects the route tree and learns the ins and outs of x's and o's.

I hear the guys covering training camp going nuts for him saying he is already the best player on the field and he is going to be a game changer. And then they try and guess how many catches he might have. 50 receptions for 700 yards, 60 for 800 maybe. Uhhh something does not compute here. If he's so amazing why isn't he going to have well over 1000 yards? They say you can't expect that kind of output from a rookie. I don't get it. If he doesn't have 1000 yards receiving then I'm going to assume they aren't using him enough. They should be targeting him at least 10 times a game

I hear the guys covering training camp going nuts for him saying he is already the best player on the field and he is going to be a game changer. And then they try and guess how many catches he might have. 50 receptions for 700 yards, 60 for 800 maybe. Uhhh something does not compute here. If he's so amazing why isn't he going to have well over 1000 yards? They say you can't expect that kind of output from a rookie. I don't get it. If he doesn't have 1000 yards receiving then I'm going to assume they aren't using him enough. They should be targeting him at least 10 times a game

because the bills have a run first offense and a strong group of WRs. The ball will be spread around, theoretically. I don't care how many yards he has - he makes the team better simply by making the D game plan for him which will leave other guys open to hopefully make plays. As far as targets, I don't know how many he will have. He is going to be lined up in various places if you listen to the coaching staff. Edited by YoloinOhio

He is the most talented offensive player that the Bills have had since the Super Bowl years.

Until he puts up real numbers and looks dominant, he doesn't deserve that mantle that Moulds owns. And that's not to trash him, I'm as optimistic and pulling for him as the next guy. But he has to prove it.

Until he puts up real numbers and looks dominant, he doesn't deserve that mantle that Moulds owns. And that's not to trash him, I'm as optimistic and pulling for him as the next guy. But he has to prove it.

I didn't say that he was the best; I said most talented. He was the top overall player on multiple teams board and the best skill player since Julio Jones. I think that Moulds is the best offensive player since the Super Bowl teams but Watkins the most talented.

It dosent matter how many catches or yards he has does it? It's all about winning! How about 5 or 6 guys having 700 yards and winning 11 or 12 games? If he can draw attention away from other playmakers, to let them do their thing, then I'm all in for spreading it around, the only thing that matters is to WIN