The #2 Backup QB spot is up for grabs - who do you want?

Backup QB Competition  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hope wins the backup QB spot?

• Thad Lewis
    • Jeff Tuel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Tuel, but his ball seems to float. Is that because he's displaying "touch", or a noodle arm? Anyone recall him really zipping a ball into a tight space. Thad is a gamer! I like the way he popped up after being beaten like a rag doll (although watching our QB getting trashed like that was unpleasant). Limited upside maybe, but gutsy.

What do you like about him? Thus far, though it's been very limited, he's made JP Losman look good. And that's tough to do.

Thad:

Pros: Good arm; gutsy/tough player; seems pretty smart; good mobility

Cons: Ball-handling (incl fumbles); sacks (poor pocket presence, IMO); intermediate accuracy.

Tuel:

Pros: Very good deep ball/touch; very good pocket presence; quick decisionmaker; seems pretty smart

Cons: Intermediate accuracy; arm strengh; decisionmaking; lack of experience

And who did I forget? Losman? Trentative? Fitz?

Kelly Holcombe

The real best QB. Height,arm strength, don`t mean nothing when the real bullets are flying. A brain and accuracy will go much farther.

Tuel is a good practice player. Thaddeus is a gamer.

IMO, Tuel is not nearly as bad as many posters want to make him out to be. I think he will end up being a perfectly serviceable backup QB, along the lines of a Frank Reich. He is smart, decisive, shows pretty good pocket awareness, and in spite of all the talk about his arm strength, he shows a surprisingly good ability to get the ball deep with a good touch on it. I think his primary problem is lack of experience. I think Thad Lewis played fairly well at times last year; however, I don't see him progressing much further in terms of ability. Tuel may not either, yet I think he has the potential to develop into a better QB than Lewis.

I hope Tuel legitimately wins the backup QB spot this year.

IMO, Tuel is not nearly as bad as many posters want to make him out to be. I think he will end up being a perfectly serviceable backup QB, along the lines of a Frank Reich. He is smart, decisive, shows pretty good pocket awareness, and in spite of all the talk about his arm strength, he shows a surprisingly good ability to get the ball deep with a good touch on it. I think his primary problem is lack of experience. I think Thad Lewis played fairly well at times last year; however, I don't see him progressing much further in terms of ability. Tuel may not either, yet I think he has the potential to develop into a better QB than Lewis.

I hope Tuel legitimately wins the backup QB spot this year.

He needs more experience at D-1 level, seeing as how he won four games in 26 starts there.

He needs more experience at D-1 level, seeing as how he won four games in 26 starts there.

If you know anything about that program while Tuel was there, then you'd know that you can't place the majority of the blame on him. He also finished with the highest completion percentage in school history and in the top ten in completions, touchdowns and passing yards. I'm not saying he is ever going to be anything more than a backup QB; however, this idea that he is absolutely horrific is, IMO, not a legitimate characterization

If you know anything about that program while Tuel was there, then you'd know that you can't place the majority of the blame on him. He also finished with the highest completion percentage in school history and in the top ten in completions, touchdowns and passing yards. I'm not saying he is ever going to be anything more than a backup QB; however, this idea that he is absolutely horrific is, IMO, not a legitimate characterization

OK that's a cheap dig, but I still think he's unfit for the NFL. As JR noted above, bad arm, bad decisionmaking is NOT a good combination.

I want the best QB like everyone else. With that being said until Tuel can show me that he can win a game, I have to go Lewis.

This is kind of where I am at. Tuel came to camp in better shape and is working hard. He's making plays in camp too. I need more than this limited amount of practice though. I want to see him light it up in preseason.

You can't help but like Lewis, though. His will to win is very strong and that masks some of his shortcomings. He did get thrown in to games without the benefit of camp last year too, so it only makes sense that he will improve this year as well.

This is all good stuff. There is no reason what so ever to think the passing game will not be better than last year and from all three QBs.

I think when it comes down to it, Thad is more of a finished product; however I believe Tuel may have a higher ceiling (though it may not be that high to begin with). I think Thad is grossly inaccurate at times with easier throws that need to be made, whereas Tuel can make the shorter throws, but struggles down the middle. This obviously is based on the 1.25 games Tuel played.

I know I'll probably get the, "Thad won two games" defense, but let's be real, Mario won that first Miami game for us.

But this is really a moot point being that both of these guys are not back-up QB material.

OK that's a cheap dig, but I still think he's unfit for the NFL. As JR noted above, bad arm, bad decisionmaking is NOT a good combination.

Cheap delivery maybe but I think its a fair dig.

How many starting nfl qbs never even led a team to a bowl game? Fitz? And fitz had a conference championship.

While I don't expect him to be a national champion.... at 4-22 he didn't have enough wins in his career to be bowl eligible in a single season. I think that's got to be a major red flag.

Edited by NoSaint

Cheap delivery maybe but I think its a fair dig.

How many starting nfl qbs never even led a team to a bowl game? Fitz? And fitz had a conference championship.

While I don't expect him to be a national champion.... at 4-22 he didn't have enough wins in his career to be bowl eligible in a single season. I think that's got to be a major red flag.

I agree. Tuel is the worst QB I've seen since Babe Laufenberg. Last year (in a tough situation) he was an abomination. Personally I blame the FO for even letting the QB situation get to that point. Drew Bledose could come in tomorrow and be a better QB than Tuel.