Robert Kraft says...

judman

...An NFL team belongs in London by the end of the decade. Per PFT (link).

I find it ironic that the man who owns a team called "The Patriots" thinks the NFL should expand beyond our borders. <_<

Then Kraft can pack up his team and move there. Good riddance! Bon Voyage!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the flip side, when will a US city get a Barclay's Premier League franchise?

As awesome as that would be, I'm afraid the answer is no. FIFA arranges it so each country has their own leagues. So Europe for example, can also have an additional league comprised of all the champions of the various countries.

We are stuck with MLS I'm afraid. The quality of it is improving year to year, but it has a long way to go before it is world class.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Imagine what a nightmare it would be for the London team to play the away schedule, they would probably have to play 3 or 4 straight road games possibly twice a year. There would be a distinct home field advantage, but very difficult to lure free agents or even sign some top draft picks. It would make it very hard to produce a winning team, and how supportive would London be of a team that was consistently put at a competitive disadvantage. IMHO a team would ultimately fail there.

Londoners don't care about American football. It is a joke to them. They don't want a team. It is only American arrogance that would even suggest such a thing. It would be a colossal failure.

Money-grubbing a-hole who doesn't have the slightest bit of understanding the pulse of the NFL, sitting in his ivory tower and thinks the little dots walking around below him are ants, instead of loyal and hard-working fans....perspective, get some Mr. Kraft

As awesome as that would be, I'm afraid the answer is no. FIFA arranges it so each country has their own leagues. So Europe for example, can also have an additional league comprised of all the champions of the various countries.

We are stuck with MLS I'm afraid. The quality of it is improving year to year, but it has a long way to go before it is world class.

That's fine as most of the top soccer teams in Europe will be playing in a European Super League consisting of most if not all of the premier soccer clubs throughout Europe. There is simply too much money to be made and the financial pressure on teams like Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea, etc will be too great to stay in the EPL.

As far as a London NFL team goes, it would be a money maker for sure, which, contrary to popular opinion, would be good for small market teams. And it would most likely be an expansion team. And people have already commented on how travel/taxes would be a non issue as the team's HQ would be based somewhere on the East Coast and they would be only be playing their games in London.

He's an executive at Viacom, the corporation that owns the broadcasting rights to all AFC games, so it's likely that he does control everything. He literally has financial control over Goodell because of his corporate ties. Is it any wonder why the Pats can call all the shots in the NFL? After one questionable Field Goal, they force every team to install 5ft higher posts!? What other crybaby team could've made that happen?!

Not technically. He's an independent director so he can't own Viacom stock and only receives a sitting fee for being on the Viacom board. Also, Viacom does not own the rights to broadcast games, CBS does. If he were on the CBS board, that would be a different issue.

But most of that's just technicalities. It's hard to find fault with the rest of your post.

Here's what's gonna make less American men watch the game in the very near future:

1. Outrageous ticket prices.

2. More restrictions on tailgating/drinking in the stadium.

3. Foreign teams.

4. Less quaity players due to less kids playing the sport in high school.

5. Less contact.

6. Coed refs.

What is wrong with a female ref?

On a related note, how long until there is a female commentator on a major network for the NFL? All they get is sideline gigs! Could be play by play most likely, with someone like Gruden (not necessarily Gruden, but a guy with a lot of experience) on color.

Less men will want to watch the game. That's part of the reason why they don't have them yet in most pro sports. Ever notice how a conversation with a group of men changes once a woman comes around?

Edited by distortions

On a related note, how long until there is a female commentator on a major network for the NFL? All they get is sideline gigs! Could be play by play most likely, with someone like Gruden (not necessarily Gruden, but a guy with a lot of experience) on color.

I don't think we'll ever see this. And I hope that's the case. I have enough trouble with Doris Burke doing NBA games but at least women have a professional basketball league so it's tolerable.

Women can have the sidelines (even if the sideline reporter is pretty useless).

it sounds horrible, but I cant stand watching games that woman college football pbp announcer does.

well Pam Ward sucks. She was TK Stack Money(Tony Kornheiser) co -host when he first started his radio show way back in the early 90's in DC. She sucked then too!

I have to say, I'm amazed at the reaction in this thread. What is so threatening about an NFL team in another country? That's a real question; I'm not trying to bash anyone. To me, it seems like it would be fun. Different cultures getting involved. New traditions emerging. New rivalries. International tournaments in other sports are often tremendous.

I understand the logistical and financial concerns. Can this really work in terms of travel? Will people in other countries be sufficiently interested? Will players want to live part time in another country (though I can imagine a whole lot of players being more interested in living in London than in one of the smaller American cities). Fair questions, but they are empirical, not moral. Either things could be worked out or they couldn't.

I just don't get where the moral outrage is coming from.