What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Just now, Tiberius said:

All those young people killed by guns and you want to quibble over which dead young people count. Sickening! 

Yea. If a 19 year old kid is selling meth/crack/etc. in the projects to down and out people, then get into a gun battle with rivals... yea. They aren't the same as a 12 year old who got shot at a school sitting in class. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Yea. If a 19 year old kid is selling meth/crack/etc. in the projects to down and out people, then get into a gun battle with rivals... yea. They aren't the same as a 12 year old who got shot at a school sitting in class. 

Here we go, quibbling about which bullet ridden bodies to count. 

Sickening!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Would you rather have (throwing out a mythical scenario) 3 accidental discharges/deaths by armed staff/SRO in schools or have 50 school children killed per year in a legit school shooting?

Probably depends on what the actual numbers would be. If it were as low as 3 deaths nationwide AND it eliminated all school shootings, that might be a justifiable trade off. 

However, studies show that a 1% increase in gun ownership results in a 0.9% increase in gun homicides. Handing out guns to the 4,000,000 teachers in this country would likely result in far more than three deaths per year. Especially when you consider how reckless teens can be and that not every teacher will properly store their firearm 100% of the time.

As for SRO’s, studies show that they generally do not have an impact on school shootings

In an ideal world where everyone acts perfectly 100% of the time, these types of policies might work. But in the real world where things are messy and people make mistakes or otherwise act improperly, putting more guns in schools will do little at best, and result in more shootings at worst. 

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Probably depends on what the actual numbers would be. If it were as low as 3 deaths nationwide AND it eliminated all school shootings, that might be a justifiable trade off. 

However, studies show that a 1% increase in gun ownership results in a 0.9% increase in gun homicides. Handing out guns to the 4,000,000 teachers in this country would likely result in far more than three deaths per year. Especially when you consider how reckless teens can be and that not every teacher will properly store their firearm 100% of the time.

As for SRO’s, studies show that they generally do not have an impact on school shootings

In an ideal world where everyone acts perfectly 100% of the time, these types of policies might work. But in the real world where things are messy and people make mistakes or otherwise act improperly, putting more guns in schools will do little at best, and result in more shootings at worst. 

Keep harping on this... you don't need to force anyone to carry, or have access to, a firearm at school. Only those staff members who are willing to do it and be properly trained. I'm talking CLEET type training. And I feel it needs to be more "front office" workers, like admin/principles. Seems most school shootings, the shooter starts by coming in the front door/entrance. 

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Really?  Sounds idiotic to pull out your AK for home defense.  You got some stats to back this up?  

Any? An AK actually just used in a home defense story the past week. You can google the news stories about home defense and AR's. 

AR-platforms are EXTREMELY popular home defense weapons. Easy to use, enough rounds to fend off several people. I personally have 3 different firearms that I go between for home defense... I have a Mossberg 500, 300 AAC Blackout (which is an AR platform rifle... suppressed) and my Stribog 9mm (suppressed... I have a video on here of me shooting that one). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Here we go, quibbling about which bullet ridden bodies to count. 

Sickening!

Context matters dude. Sorry... I know you want to lump a couple of 30-year olds shooting at each other at a high school parking lot at 4 a.m. on a Sunday as a "School Shooting".... but it's not the same thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This push today by the Left/Media is a perfect example of "Narrative Creation"

There has been multiple stories in the previous week, (rioting, crime, shootings by non 'straight white males')

So the need to get the conversation back on the Leftists side was there.

and as night follows day, the WH, media and posters here try to make it the number one topic.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Context matters dude. Sorry... I know you want to lump a couple of 30-year olds shooting at each other at a high school parking lot at 4 a.m. on a Sunday as a "School Shooting".... but it's not the same thing. 

The dead bodies piling up are context, I get you want to shave down the context by splitting victims up, but that's disgusting 

• Dislike 1

46 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Keep harping on this... you don't need to force anyone to carry, or have access to, a firearm at school. Only those staff members who are willing to do it and be properly trained. I'm talking CLEET type training. And I feel it needs to be more "front office" workers, like admin/principles. Seems most school shootings, the shooter starts by coming in the front door/entrance. 

If we have actual evidence that this works, I’d be open to it.

So far, the evidence shows that more guns in schools does not reduce school shootings.

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

If we have actual evidence that this works, I’d be open to it.

So far, the evidence shows that more guns in schools does not reduce school shootings.

One example, Utah has allowed firearms in schools going back around 15 years... 0 school shootings. 

https://www.ksl.com/article/28390054/experts-speculate-on-why-utah-has-zero-school-related-shootings

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Walkout for? 

What happened was a horrible thing. Old man who shot the kid turned himself in. 

In case you didn't read it, it says "in support of their classmate, who was shot twice in Kansas City after he rang the wrong doorbell while trying to pick up his younger siblings".  I'm surmising that it has something to do with a racist murdering someone who shouldn't have owned a firearm(I know he could legally, that's the point).

30 minutes ago, daz28 said:

In case you didn't read it, it says "in support of their classmate, who was shot twice in Kansas City after he rang the wrong doorbell while trying to pick up his younger siblings".  I'm surmising that it has something to do with a racist murdering someone who shouldn't have owned a firearm(I know he could legally, that's the point).

Again, the whole thing is horrible. I hope the old man burns. 

But I'll ask again... what is the walkout for? What are they protesting? This wasn't a police shooting, it wasn't a school shooting. You're thinking it's because this 84 year old man who probably had that .380 since 1958, should have had his firearms removed from his home? I'm confused on what this is other than a f'ed up tragedy/murder. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Again, the whole thing is horrible. I hope the old man burns. 

But I'll ask again... what is the walkout for? What are they protesting? This wasn't a police shooting, it wasn't a school shooting. You're thinking it's because this 84 year old man who probably had that .380 since 1958, should have had his firearms removed from his home? I'm confused on what this is other than a f'ed up tragedy/murder. 

No one that would shoot someone should have a gun.  It's more just a plain moral statement, than anything I'd attempt to legislate.  I know the guy had the right, and simply abused it.  I guess it's just a dig at the, "he would have just used a knife" crowd, because a grandpa did it.

The walkout sends a message of unity in the face of discrimination,  Reaffirmation

Yes, it was simply a f'ed up HATE tragedy/murder.