Joe Buscaglia & Robey

vegas55

Okay that's a joke right? Slot corners are asked to blitz more ONLY because they are lined up closer to the QB. Period. You mean the great athlete that Leodis is, with a clear path to QB, can't make that sack. And of course this post does not explain why all the premiere corner backs in the NFL play on the outside, and the scrubs play the slot. Like the typical fan who only watches the ball on TV, and NEVER watches actually watches game film, somehow has better insight into the game than Jim Schwartz or every other NFL executive who values an outside corner far more than the idiots who post on this board.

:wub:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel Robey was the better player

1) His play on field was more consistent.

2) His future projected worth is so much more.

If he continues with the success, he will develop into a stud slot corner. He has shown this after 1 year, as opposed to McKelvin who took 5 (as stated in others posts above). I am not taking anything away from McKelvin, just feel that performance plus projected worth goes to Robey.

chances are they plan to play a lot of dime defense. It should be more like 3a and 3b really. And they do need depth. And they also lost a stud DB in Byrd so maybe they were originally thinking he would make the move to S. And we lost at least 1 game last year because Gilmore was down and Rogers was raped at starting DB so maybe they don't want to chance that again.

agreed. I think there is a chance they move graham around a lot. Whether it is depth at corner if Mckelvin or gilmore goes down or if they need to move him to saftey. Or have both him and Robey on the field at the same time. I think they both play a lot this year.

Agreed. Not that I don't think Robey did a great Job, but McKelvin's role had a much higher degree of difficulty and he had his best season as a pro.

I see your point. A case could be made that the very strong showing from Robey, and for that matter Searcy were due to the excellent coaching of Pettine.

That said, the same could be said wrt McKelvin. I think that he was an actual liability before last season. How about you? The Bills passed on Clady and Branden Albert to draft McKelvin. Before last season, he looked like just another dumb draft selection.

That said, McKelvin was tremendous in 2013 imo. Remember, the team was 28th in time of possession. This places way too much pressure on the defense. Losing Pettine really does suck, but hopefully the offense will improve and make the team more balanced. Call me crazy, but I think that this defense will be pretty good, loss of Kiko notwithstanding.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Last year was Leo's 6th season in the league and he finally had a decent year. and it just so happened to come in the same year that the team set a franchise record for sacks. a couple of years ago he was called a "bust" all over this board. The only reason he got a new contract is because of his returning abilities and possibly our horrible lack of depth at the position. The guy had 1 pick this year...1 and people are acting like hes a stud, please...he had an above average season, yes. but to act like to Joe B is crazy for saying Robey is #12 on his list shows how much you know. whoever posted this and claimed the outside corner position is much more demanding know absolutely nothing about defense and probably didnt play past high school.

The nickel corner has way more reads to make depending on the offensive formation, whether someone goes in motion, etc. sometimes they end up covering a TE, sometimes they basically become an OLB and are forced with taking on blocks from tackles, TE's and FBs...the fact that Robey came in undrafted and played the way he did is astonishing. The closing speed and playmaking ability that he possesses make him an extremely valuable player in this league. and to make light of his game changing sacks by saying that he is supposed to because he is lined up closer to the QB is the most idiotic thing ive ever heard. he still has to beat a 6'7" 350lb tackle....the reason they never asked Leodis to blitz is because he isnt great at it...Robey is.

And billybrew1 saying that robey got beat all day against cincy??? did you watch the game? b/c i saw our #8 overall pick, Mr Gilmore get abused all game because he had the club on and cincy exploited him by throwing screens at him all day, he couldnt get off a block to save his life. i dont blame him i blame the coaches for putting him out there with such a disability.

anyhow, joe B is the best reporter that WGR has by far and by ripping him for giving his opinion is not only weak, its dumb because the arguments you are making against his opinion are simply wrong. try again.

I agree with you about McKelvin and his body of work. I hope that last year was not an aberration, for either him or Robey. As far as your assertion that the original poster never played past high school, that is true for most, in fact most have nerver put on a helmet and pads in earnest.

I noticed that you don't have a lot of posts. You might try and refrain from the use of adjectives like "idiotic" and "dumb". This is all in good fun.

Last year was Leo's 6th season in the league and he finally had a decent year. and it just so happened to come in the same year that the team set a franchise record for sacks. a couple of years ago he was called a "bust" all over this board. The only reason he got a new contract is because of his returning abilities and possibly our horrible lack of depth at the position. The guy had 1 pick this year...1 and people are acting like hes a stud, please...he had an above average season, yes. but to act like to Joe B is crazy for saying Robey is #12 on his list shows how much you know. whoever posted this and claimed the outside corner position is much more demanding know absolutely nothing about defense and probably didnt play past high school.

The nickel corner has way more reads to make depending on the offensive formation, whether someone goes in motion, etc. sometimes they end up covering a TE, sometimes they basically become an OLB and are forced with taking on blocks from tackles, TE's and FBs...the fact that Robey came in undrafted and played the way he did is astonishing. The closing speed and playmaking ability that he possesses make him an extremely valuable player in this league. and to make light of his game changing sacks by saying that he is supposed to because he is lined up closer to the QB is the most idiotic thing ive ever heard. he still has to beat a 6'7" 350lb tackle....the reason they never asked Leodis to blitz is because he isnt great at it...Robey is.

And billybrew1 saying that robey got beat all day against cincy??? did you watch the game? b/c i saw our #8 overall pick, Mr Gilmore get abused all game because he had the club on and cincy exploited him by throwing screens at him all day, he couldnt get off a block to save his life. i dont blame him i blame the coaches for putting him out there with such a disability.

anyhow, joe B is the best reporter that WGR has by far and by ripping him for giving his opinion is not only weak, its dumb because the arguments you are making against his opinion are simply wrong. try again.

What I saw was passes completed down the middle to a receiver being watched by a little kid. I think Robey ran into the guy's ass. I stand by my remarks and will be proved correct (that Robey is a matchup nickel-back only). There will be weeks where the top 3 are Gilmore, Leodis and Graham and it won't be because of injuries.

Robey is a very good match-up, Nickel-back and I am glad to have him, but the poster is right on.

Additionally, Leodis, had to overcome a horrific injury, a career ending bad-play and playing on a losing team his whole career.

I give him tons of credit being able to bounce back and play like he did in college and as a rookie. What he did though, is kinda expected in a way..... because he is an off the charts phenomenal athlete. It is amazing how he can go step for step with any WR in the league in still be in his back pocket. A thing of beauty.

And you don't dismiss an excellent special teamer. So what if he got the contract because of that? (Although that is not reason why)

That just adds to leodis' value it doesn't take it away. He is a rare athlete amongst rare athletes.....

What I saw was passes completed down the middle to a receiver being watched by a little kid. I think Robey ran into the guy's ass. I stand by my remarks and will be proved correct (that Robey is a matchup nickel-back only). There will be weeks where the top 3 are Gilmore, Leodis and Graham and it won't be because of injuries.

Robey is a very good match-up, Nickel-back and I am glad to have him, but the poster is right on.

Additionally, Leodis, had to overcome a horrific injury, a career ending bad-play and playing on a losing team his whole career.

I give him tons of credit being able to bounce back and play like he did in college and as a rookie. What he did though, is kinda expected in a way..... because he is an off the charts phenomenal athlete. It is amazing how he can go step for step with any WR in the league in still be in his back pocket. A thing of beauty.

And you don't dismiss an excellent special teamer. So what if he got the contract because of that? (Although that is not reason why)

That just adds to leodis' value it doesn't take it away. He is a rare athlete amongst rare athletes.....

I thought McKelvin was their best DB last season. Robey was a nice find. I can't get the long TD vs New Orleans out of my head and I think their was another one maybe vs TB when thinking of him as a match-up CB.

All comparisons aside, Robey made some game swaying plays, at the very least from a defensive morale standpoint. His tenacity combined with speed and intelligence results in this. Even his coaches were amazed at his ability to be in position.

Now, match up problems will exist but with offenses going more and more to the pass, why wouldn't you put a PROVEN playmaker out there?

With all these traits and his track record, I expect to see even more from Robey this year. After watching him perform as a rookie, is anyone prepared to bet against this guy?

My question: is he a guy you have to game plan against? Will he ever be?

McKelvin and Robey are both good corners, but I think Joe Bus is wrong. According to PFF Premium Stats, McKelvin is 13th-ranked CB with CBs playing >900 snaps.

Robey can't be on this list with his 629 snaps, but ranks 27th if snap count isn't taken into account.

Neither McKelvin nor Robey will win prizes for their run defense. McKelvin is ranked #193rd out of 199 players who played at least one play as CB! Robey is 78th on the same list. Gilmore is our best run defender at #24.

I see your point. A case could be made that the very strong showing from Robey, and for that matter Searcy were due to the excellent coaching of Pettine.

That said, the same could be said wrt McKelvin. I think that he was an actual liability before last season. How about you? The Bills passed on Clady and Branden Albert to draft McKelvin. Before last season, he looked like just another dumb draft selection.

That said, McKelvin was tremendous in 2013 imo. Remember, the team was 28th in time of possession. This places way too much pressure on the defense. Losing Pettine really does suck, but hopefully the offense will improve and make the team more balanced. Call me crazy, but I think that this defense will be pretty good, loss of Kiko notwithstanding.

Donnie Henderson. is my hero. seriously. And i am willing to start an intimate affair with P Johnson if he is all that with the line. And you know he is in the LBs ears Could be a dynasty.

No i mean it.

Both Leo my man and the little chipmonk Nickell were great fun to watch for me. I had to watch Leodis very closely because the years before i would close my eyes when QBs threw his way . Last year i watched because he played lights out. he really was nearly shutdown. What a transformation .

Aaron Williams right. We had him as a bust . nearly all pro play from him. Robey UDFA .

Not to deny Pettine . But Donnie got these guys sorted out

Robey and McKelvin play different spots. Robey was a better nickel DB than McKelvin was an outside DB. This is fair. It's like trying to compare jerry Hughes to kiko. They both played LB, but made their impact in very different ways.

Can we call it a draw ? They both played very well . Should we be dissecting this ?

I agree with you about McKelvin and his body of work. I hope that last year was not an aberration, for either him or Robey. As far as your assertion that the original poster never played past high school, that is true for most, in fact most have nerver put on a helmet and pads in earnest.

I noticed that you don't have a lot of posts. You might try and refrain from the use of adjectives like "idiotic" and "dumb". This is all in good fun.

Always the gentleman . well done Sir

Surely that's a positive for a CB. The best thing a CB can do is not be noticed, meaning the ball isn't coming his way because he's "shut down" his receiver.

I agree with some of what the OP says, Robey has the flashy sacks and the 1 int but wasn't on the field nearly as much as McKelvin was (609 snaps vs. 927 snaps).

Would love to think that but Gilmore was the whipping boy last year. So I dont really know how much they even had to look McKelvins side... I do think he could be a big deal at cb though. Shut down? I dont really wanna use that term loosely. I think McKelvin is the closest thing we have right now though.

I agree that McKelvin had a great year and seems to be improving every year, but has he ever done a backflip into the endzone on a pick 6? Also, are we all ready to forget about his kickoff fumble vs Pats way back in '09?? That was heartbreaking and stupid. So far Robey hasn't done anything wrong, just awesome plays.

For a solid boundary cb on top of something that happened 5 yrs ago.... Yes... Yes I am ready to forget it.

Would love to think that but Gilmore was the whipping boy last year. So I dont really know how much they even had to look McKelvins side... I do think he could be a big deal at cb though. Shut down? I dont really wanna use that term loosely. I think McKelvin is the closest thing we have right now though.

For a solid boundary cb on top of something that happened 5 yrs ago.... Yes... Yes I am ready to forget it.

I am too... Would have been great to beat the Pats* but what would that one win have gotten us then???

Robey above McKelvin is so, so wrong: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/passes-defended/2013/ .

Do guys like Buscaglia even look at semi-advanced stats? McKelvin was far better than Robey (who I like) last season.

I also saw that he has Robert Woods ranked higher than Gilmore, which is just foolish. Jeez.

McKelvin and Robey are both good corners, but I think Joe Bus is wrong. According to PFF Premium Stats, McKelvin is 13th-ranked CB with CBs playing >900 snaps.

Robey can't be on this list with his 629 snaps, but ranks 27th if snap count isn't taken into account.

Neither McKelvin nor Robey will win prizes for their run defense. McKelvin is ranked #193rd out of 199 players who played at least one play as CB! Robey is 78th on the same list. Gilmore is our best run defender at #24.

Thank you. One small peeve: cornerbacks aren't there to play run defense. If they can, it's merely gravy. They're there to cover, and if they're weak at that they shouldn't be in the league.

McKelvin was very good covering #1 and #2 Wrs. He was close to shut down. He doesn't get the picks but he is extremely valuable.

Robey was great but I'd never want to see him against #1 and #2 Wrs. It won't be his strength. He is a very good slot corner who has a knack for big plays. I'm very happy to have both guys in their current roles.