Marquise Goodwin featured on SI.com

The Bills have tremendously athletic players in Spiller, Watkins, Goodwin who are unstoppable in space and some real good blockers in Freddie, Wood. It all goes back to the OL giving time for EJ Manuel and for EJ to be accurate to get the ball to these players. We have to find a way to move the chains and score. We lacked that sorely last year.

I didn't care for the part where he said he would like to compete in the Olympics in 2016 if the Bills let him. Didn't he say he was giving up track back when the Bills drafted him? You don't just show up and compete in the Olympics. There's years of training involved, training that would take him away from football. At minimum, he would miss all of the offseason camps and the preseason and then I'm sure he would have to get back in "football shape" afterwards

I'm not overly concerned about him wanting to compete in the 2016 games, he hasn't done enough in the NFL yet for me to be worried about losing him, and yes, he does have olympic speed, you don't finish 10th in the world if you don't. Nobody is exclaiming he has 100 meter olympic speed here.

I didn't care for the part where he said he would like to compete in the Olympics in 2016 if the Bills let him. Didn't he say he was giving up track back when the Bills drafted him? You don't just show up and compete in the Olympics. There's years of training involved, training that would take him away from football. At minimum, he would miss all of the offseason camps and the preseason and then I'm sure he would have to get back in "football shape" afterwards

To be fair, they asked him about it and he simply didn't shut the door all the way but didn't act like that was his goal. He seemed to say the opposite. I heard him interviewed on the Howard Simon show a few weeks back during OTAs and they asked him the same question. He was very careful to say that he wasn't focused on that at this time... if there was a way for him to do it with it having zero impact on football he would consider it but he seemed to be 100% football. This article was focused on both sports so they asked the questions that way.

Dumb question but Can Goodwin still compete at the Olympics if he is on the Bills roster?

I can't see the Bills saying no to him

CBF

Looks like Lawrence Okoye, DE from the 49ers competed in the discus in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia....eague_Olympians

Apparently AP wants to do it:

http://profootballta...r-the-olympics/

Edited by YoloinOhio

To be fair, they asked him about it and he simply didn't shut the door all the way but didn't act like that was his goal. He seemed to say the opposite. I heard him interviewed on the Howard Simon show a few weeks back during OTAs and they asked him the same question. He was very careful to say that he wasn't focused on that at this time... if there was a way for him to do it with it having zero impact on football he would consider it but he seemed to be 100% football. This article was focused on both sports so they asked the questions that way.

Looks like Lawrence Okoye, DE from the 49ers competed in the discus in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia....eague_Olympians

Lawrence Okoye has never suited up for an NFL team, in an NFL game...he wasn't even signed by a team when he competed in the Olympics.

But, Marquise Goodwin competing in the Olympics would be pretty cool...imagine him wearing a Bills logo on his suit? World-wide promotion.

As far as being a football player, I love Goodwin. I saw him climb a ladder and snatch the ball from a 6-1 CB last year, and "Flash" made the guy look like a high school player. He is tough as nails too. I expect him to take a huge leap this year, but they need to get him the ball.

On a side note...didn't I read this same article after he was drafted? I swear it was on SI.com...and spoke of both sports?

EDIT: I'm a dummy, I found the one I was thinking of...worth a read if you haven't read it yet.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/8/15/4621408/marquise-goodwin-buffalo-bills-texas-longhorns-olympians-nfl

Edited by Bob Malooga

Don't anyone dare say he has Olympic speed. He participated in field events.

What are we allowed to say, oh wise one?

Can we say he has world class approach ramp speed?

Can we say he has world class jumps?

Can we say he has world class ups?

Actually there is a pretty clear history of athletes having undeniable Olympic speed but they were disappointing football players. Even the best achievers among players with Olympic speed, Renaldo Nehemiah and Willie Gault were in the end disappointments as football players as their NFL dominance never matched their track performance.

I actually feel better about Godwin showing success in field events as his medal ability as a jumper than if he merely showed sprinter speed. He appears more likely to be able to elevate for catches than a "mere" sprinter. However all these undeniable athletic accomplishments do not speak to whatever success he might have pulling in a catch or getting up from taking (making) a big hit.

He has a 10.38 best in the 100m in 2008. A 10.38 time could have moved him out of the initial heats depending on which one he was in, so I would say that qualifies as Olympic speed. He wouldn't have made the US team, but would have been the best on many of the other teams.