Marijuna related health problems on the rise in US

Most of the momentum of her statement and beliefs is lost by such a dramatic method to introduce us to it. By being so arrogant in bringing it up it just makes people not like her, including me. I don't like her and she is a twit.

The average person voting against marijuana is not Googling side effects or believing that the black man is gon' git wild 'n rape da white women.

I only vote against legalizing marijuana to piss off people like Bob in Mich.

Seriously. I couldn't give a **** if pot's legal or not. I have no issues with pot. It's the general self-righteous idiocy of its proponents I have a problem with, and I live to piss off self-righteous idiots.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only selfies I tend to take are when my nephews are around or if I want to embarrass the lady-friend... though, as I type that, I discovered one of me in a hoodie. But I'm sober, so it's okay.

stop changing your dang avatar. i don't see a young yosef stalin and thats a green light to read. I read your stuff, it's ridiculous and then have to realize "oh, it's only that retard."

:nana:

The f-bomb dropping reporter tries to explain her actions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPaqb--5wkM

(Warning: the volume is too loud so be ready to turn the sound down)

Alright, I avoided this story for the past few days -- even though it's been sent to me at least a dozen times by various stoney friends -- but I've had a rough day health wise so I just sparked some relief and decided to catch up on what I've missed. First, yes.

Second, if I could talk with this intelligent, beautiful, and clearly driven woman I'd beg her to do two things. 1) Fire whoever edited that spot, it did her no favors, and reshoot it with someone competent. 2) Try a few takes where it doesn't sound like she's still reading the news and actually talk to the audience. I wasn't aware that smoking pot was so taboo that I was being somehow oppressed, I really didn't. But she could convince me, she really could.

It wouldn't surprise me if she becomes a spokesperson for legalization in the next wave of ballot initiatives, or if her dispensary does quite well financially. But I'm going to wait on sharing my own weed story until I have a job.

Most of the momentum of her statement and beliefs is lost by such a dramatic method to introduce us to it. By being so arrogant in bringing it up it just makes people not like her, including me. I don't like her and she is a twit.

The average person voting against marijuana is not Googling side effects or believing that the black man is gon' git wild 'n rape da white women. That's archaic thinking to even believe people see it like that these-days. She can sound all sarcastic and then authoritative giving us numbers, blablabla 37 seconds someone is arrested, or someone kicked out of school for smoking dope, or losing public assistence...

37 seconds: 91.4% of statistics are wrong, and arrested for what exactly? driving while stoned? getting in a wreck while stoned? carrying 400 lbs. of pot? Cops are not going out there just throwing people in the slammer for a joint unless there are other factors. But, it's still illegal, just go to your house and smoke it and you probably won't get caught.

Kicked out of school? If you're in HS you shouldn't be smoking, drinking, or wearing pants so tight that you can show what you have for dinner. College, come on, if you're smoking dope and caught in college then subsequently kicked out of school for it then something more is going on. Maybe at Liberty Univ. or another Nazi santuary type school that could happen, though. Of course, if you go to Liberty and caught spending the night with someone of the opposite sex or caught with alcohol you are also going to face possible expulsion.

I think if you're on public assistance you should not be allowed to smoke, drink, go on a vacation or do anything more then look for a job. Shouldn't have cable TV, a cell phone, and be sterilized if on it for more then 5 years. But, I'm a bit harsh.

This moron babbles on about her viewpoint which is no different then mine. My viewpoint is entirely ignorant, just like hers.

I have no reason to want to legalize marijuana. I have no reason to keep it illegal, too. I simply don't care about it because it does not effect my life. If someone wants to smoke it they may smoke as much as they want, same with drinking. Just go to your house and enjoy it and keep it there.

Anyone today that chooses to ignore the known and potential medical benefits of cannabis is simply ignorant, intentionally or accidentally. Most of those still opposing cannabis as medicine, internet trolls aside, have dollars somwhere at the heart of their reasoning. The moral high ground against medical cannabis was lost long ago. I have seen no sound scientific reasoning against using medical cannabis.

Recreational cannabis discussions involve much more than just 'does it work'. The alcohol comparisons are brought up by the reporter for several reasons. Those that have never used it recreationally, can often get some limited perspective on the experience. More importantly here I think she tries to point out the hypocrisy in the folks claiming moral high ground against recreational users while they stir their cocktails. People don't really like to be shown that they are hypocritical and, like many posters here, they push back.

The reporter's point about public assistance, college, and future employment are all tied to a single fact. If a person gets a felony marijuana arrest on their record, they keep that for life and it restricts their access to future opportunities and programs. A felony puts a large and some would say unfair burden around the neck of that person for a crime that most freely admit is 'no big deal'. The punishment does not fit the offense.

It certainly helps to be directly impacted in order to want to change an existing law but it is far from necessary. A person can simply see injustice in a law and want that corrected. Most of us were not impacted by most of the civil rights laws but we could see that the existing law was outdated and to some, unjust.

btw

This following is from page 13 of this thread where we discussed people being arrested for possession of cannabis.

http://nationalcanna...ijuana-in-2012/

...from the article

The data, analyzed by 420RADIO News, indicate that 749,825 people were arrested for marijuana within the category of “drug abuse violations” reported to the FBI. Of those, 658,231 were arrested for possession, making up about seven out of eight pot arrests in this country.

Edited by Bob in Mich

Anyone today that chooses to ignore the known and potential medical benefits of cannabis is simply ignorant, intentionally or accidentally. Most of those still opposing cannabis as medicine, internet trolls aside, have dollars somwhere at the heart of their reasoning. The moral high ground against medical cannabis was lost long ago. I have seen no sound scientific reasoning against using medical cannabis.

Recreational cannabis discussions involve much more than just 'does it work'. The alcohol comparisons are brought up by the reporter for several reasons. Those that have never used it recreationally, can often get some limited perspective on the experience. More importantly here I think she tries to point out the hypocrisy in the folks claiming moral high ground against recreational users while they stir their cocktail. People don't really like to be shown that they are hypocritical and, like many posters here, they push back.

The reporter's point about public assistance, college, and future employment are all tied to a single fact. If a person gets a felony marijuana arrest on their record, they keep that for life and it restricts their access to future opportunities and programs. A felony puts a large and some would say unfair burden around the neck of that person for a crime that most freely admit is 'no big deal'. The punishment does not fit the offense.

It certainly helps to be directly impacted in order to want to change an existing law but it is far from necessary. A person can simply see injustice in a law and want that corrected. Most of us were not impacted by most of the civil rights laws but we could see that the existing law was outdated and to some, unjust.

btw

This following is from page 13 of this thread where we discussed people being arrested for possession of cannabis.

...from the article

The data, analyzed by 420RADIO News, indicate that 749,825 people were arrested for marijuana within the category of “drug abuse violations” reported to the FBI. Of those, 658,231 were arrested for possession, making up about seven out of eight pot arrests in this country.

You know, at one point, there were no sound scientific reasons against using heroin.

By the way, bringing up the arrests for pot erodes your point more than you already have. How many people get arrested for pot possession has no bearing on its medical uses. How many people get arrested for possession of nonprescribed narcotics? Should we legalize them too?

Edited by FireChan

People do not go to prison for just pot anymore:

http://www.nadcp.org/sites/default/files/nadcp/Facts%20on%20Marijuana%20-%20NADCP_1.pdf

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/whos_in_prison_for_marij.pdf

Plus there are more negatives than positives when you look at the big picture (and I like pot, but I can recognize this). Look at the environmental damage that the hippie pot smoking save the plantet hypocrites do not even consider.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/frequently-asked-questions-and-facts-about-marijuana#opposed

Couldn’t legalizing and taxing marijuana generate significant revenue?

A: While taxing marijuana could generate some revenues for state and local governments, research suggests that the economic costs associated with use of the drug could far outweigh any benefit gained from an increase in tax revenue.

In the United States in 2007, illegal drugs cost $193 billion ($209 billion in 2011 dollars) in health care, lost productivity, crime, and other expenditures. Optimistic evaluations of the potential financial savings from legalization and taxation are often flawed, and fail to account for the considerable economic and social costs of drug use and its consequences.

This issue is particularly relevant in the marijuana debate. For example, the California Board of Equalization estimated that $1.4 billion of potential revenue could arise from legalization. This assessment, according to the RAND Corporation is “based on a series of assumptions that are in some instances subject to tremendous uncertainty and in other cases not valid.”

Another recent report from RAND examines this issue in greater detail. The report concludes that legalization and taxation of marijuana would lead to a decrease in the retail price of the drug, likely by more than 80 percent. While this conclusion is subject to a number of uncertainties, including the effect of legalization on production costs and price and the Federal government’s response to the state’s legalization of a substance that would remain illegal under Federal law, it is fair to say that the price of marijuana would drop significantly. And because drug use is sensitive to price, especially among young people, higher prices help keep use rates relatively low.

The existing black market for marijuana will not simply disappear if the drug is legalized and taxed. RAND also noted that “there is a tremendous profit motive for the existing black market providers to stay in the market, as they can still cover their costs of production and make a nice profit.” Legalizing marijuana would also place a dual burden on the government of regulating a new legal market while continuing to pay for the negative side effects associated with an underground market, whose providers have little economic incentive to disappear.

Legalization means price comes down; the number of users goes up; the underground market adapts; and the revenue gained through a regulated market most likely will not keep pace with the financial and social cost of making this drug more accessible.

Consider the economic realities of other substances. The tax revenue collected from alcohol pales in comparison to the costs associated with it. Federal excise taxes collected on alcohol in 2009 totaled around $9.4 billion; state and local revenues from alcohol taxes totaled approximately $5.9 billion. Taken together ($15.3 billion), this is just over six percent of the nearly $237.8 billion adjusted for 2009 inflation) in alcohol-related costs from health care, treatment services, lost productivity, and criminal justice.

While many levels of government and communities across the country are facing serious budget challenges, we must find innovative solutions to get us on a path to financial stability – it is clear that the social costs of legalizing marijuana would outweigh any possible tax that could be levied.

Recreational cannabis discussions involve much more than just 'does it work'. The alcohol comparisons are brought up by the reporter for several reasons. Those that have never used it recreationally, can often get some limited perspective on the experience. More importantly here I think she tries to point out the hypocrisy in the folks claiming moral high ground against recreational users while they stir their cocktails. People don't really like to be shown that they are hypocritical and, like many posters here, they push back.

btw

...from the article

I stopped reading at medical marijuana because I did not want to make myself dumber. What you said was probably really cute and thoughtful with lots of big words and I am sure you tried very hard. So, I appreciate that but I am not going to waste my time.

See, your whole argument is based on bull doo. It starts with such bull poo - medical fracking marijuana. In order not to embarrass you I will make it simple because I imagine you are much like a parrot; able to repeat the ridiculous statements you hear and not create something you do not understand anyway. For that you'll never speak the truth.

Herbalism/Holistic/Naturalistic practices is something you probably know very little about. But, then again, you probably believe honey cures allergies. If you think marijuana is great because someone told you it relieves side effects and helps relieve certain pains, blood pressure, whatever then you need to research a lot of things. I could take you to outside to the Lowes garden center and get you higher then weed would ever get you, get rid of your headache, lower your blood pressure, raise your blood pressure, treat your wounds, clean your mouth, help your swollen tooth, or just kill you. Anything from nandina to coleus and fox glow, I could get you !@#$ed up and/or treat you and deal with your symptoms quicker then you know.

I'll let someone else handle the rest of whatever effort you made in posting.

Edited by jboyst62

I stopped reading at medical marijuana because I did not want to make myself dumber. What you said was probably really cute and thoughtful with lots of big words and I am sure you tried very hard. So, I appreciate that but I am not going to waste my time.

See, your whole argument is based on bull doo. It starts with such bull poo - medical fracking marijuana. In order not to embarrass you I will make it simple because I imagine you are much like a parrot; able to repeat the ridiculous statements you hear and not create something you do not understand anyway. For that you'll never speak the truth.

Herbalism/Holistic/Naturalistic practices is something you probably know very little about. But, then again, you probably believe honey cures allergies. If you think marijuana is great because someone told you it relieves side effects and helps relieve certain pains, blood pressure, whatever then you need to research a lot of things. I could take you to outside to the Lowes garden center and get you higher then weed would ever get you, get rid of your headache, lower your blood pressure, raise your blood pressure, treat your wounds, clean your mouth, help your swollen tooth, or just kill you. Anything from nandina to coleus and fox glow, I could get you !@#$ed up and/or treat you and deal with your symptoms quicker then you know.

I'll let someone else handle the rest of whatever effort you made in posting.

So, you're saying all sorts of plants have medicinal effects. Yeah, we know that. Odd that the cannabis plant wouldn't have any.

You're also saying that you know so much already that anything new could not make a dent in your thick head. Ok, got that too. Thanks for sharing.

So, you're saying all sorts of plants have medicinal effects. Yeah, we know that. Odd that the cannabis plant wouldn't have any.

You're also saying that you know so much already that anything new could not make a dent in your thick head. Ok, got that too. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, I know enough to know its bull **** to claim marijuana as a wonder drug or something special to the world as a medical aid when it is no different then anything else.

So, you validated my point. The medical marijuana is bull ****. It can help treat things but it is not going to be much different then anything else.

In your opinion, jboyst, why was cannabis used for medicine for so many years prior to prohibition? ( No one is saying other plants don't have medicinal uses too so don't let that confuse the issue.) In the early 1900's some rather high percentage of pharmaceutical preparations contained cannabis. If it was ineffective, why did so many people continue to purchase and use it for so many decades?

That post, Know Anyone with a Disease, has links to at least a dozen recent medical studies related to the impact of cannabinoids on health conditions. Which ones are invalid and how do you know they are invalid? What research sources did you reference that counter those recent studies?

Edited by Bob in Mich

In your opinion, jboyst, why was cannabis used for medicine for so many years prior to prohibition? ( No one is saying other plants don't have medicinal uses too so don't let that confuse the issue.) In the early 1900's some rather high percentage of pharmaceutical preparations contained cannabis. If it was ineffective, why did so many people continue to purchase and use it for so many decades?

That post, Know Anyone with a Disease, has links to at least a dozen recent medical studies related to the impact of cannabinoids on health conditions. Which ones are invalid and how do you know they are invalid? What research sources did you reference that counter those recent studies?

That race car driver that got run over by tony Stewart had pot in his system. It does not seem to have helped his health.

Because back then everything was used for medicine. Leaching was in practice, jeesh. If it reduced or removed symptoms they liked it, it worked. It was used because it masks symptoms and makes you high. It relaxes you. Because you're high. Yup, so?

It was outlawed because of a smear campaign by the predecessor of the DEA. It started in Mexico and it was called cannabis by everyone else in the world but the term marijuana was used by the Northerners. It came in and was popular in the South with blacks who enjoyed the cheap high and it caught on in jazz clubs which helped sway public opinion - the blacks smoking it and getting wild and raping white women kind of thing. Anyway, yes, it was widely used a long with a lot of other natural sources - Valerian root for example.

It went away as it was illegal and many things are now synthesized.

Don't know which are invalid but who cares, that's not my point. Many are propping up marijuana as something terrific and neglecting that there could be numerous other plants and sources out there just as good if not better if only time and money was invested in to them.

Most of the links I saw said that cannabis is good for relieving the side effects (nausea, loss of appetite) of the drugs that actually treated the illness.

Most of the links I saw said that cannabis is good for relieving the side effects (nausea, loss of appetite) of the drugs that actually treated the illness.

And those links were also from unaccredited sourcing. Lacking the facility, director of the program and other pertinent information in which to hold accountability to the article.

But, hey, they make good headlines!

Because back then everything was used for medicine. Leaching was in practice, jeesh. If it reduced or removed symptoms they liked it, it worked. It was used because it masks symptoms and makes you high. It relaxes you. Because you're high. Yup, so?

It was outlawed because of a smear campaign by the predecessor of the DEA. It started in Mexico and it was called cannabis by everyone else in the world but the term marijuana was used by the Northerners. It came in and was popular in the South with blacks who enjoyed the cheap high and it caught on in jazz clubs which helped sway public opinion - the blacks smoking it and getting wild and raping white women kind of thing. Anyway, yes, it was widely used a long with a lot of other natural sources - Valerian root for example.

It went away as it was illegal and many things are now synthesized.

Don't know which are invalid but who cares, that's not my point. Many are propping up marijuana as something terrific and neglecting that there could be numerous other plants and sources out there just as good if not better if only time and money was invested in to them.

Check out this link. It is from a Guide to Antique Medicine Containers. Given that, it does not have a lot of depth but notice the conditions that called for cannabis treatment.

http://antiquecannab...p11/MedUses.htm

Note this section

11.1.1 - IT'S MEDICAL USES:

According to the [1910] textbook "Therapeutics, Materia Medica and Pharmacy" By S. L. Potter; Medical Cannabis was recommended toward the following ailments:

• Analgesics or Anodynes (pg. 15)
  • Aphrodisiacs (pg. 24)
  • Deliriants (pg. 28 )
  • Diuretics (pg. 30-31 )
  • Hypnotics (sleeping pills) (pg. 39-37 )
  • Narcotics (pg. 40-41 )
  • Pulmonary Sedatives (pg. 42 )
  • Vestical Sedatives (pg. 49 )
  • Albuminuria (pg. 574 )
  • Appetite (pg. 583 )
  • Asthma (pg. 587-588 )
  • Bladder, Irritable (pg. 591 )
  • Bladder, Paralysis of. (pg. 591 )
  • Bright's Disease, Acute (pg. 593 )
  • Bright's Disease, Chronic (pg. 594 )
  • Chordee (pg. 614 )
  • Corns (pg. 624 )
  • Cystitis, Acute (pg. 628 )
  • Delirium (pg. 630-631 )
  • Dysmenorrhea (pg. 643 )
  • Dysuria (pg. 647 )
  • Epilepsy (pg. 654-656 )
  • Gonorrhea (pg. 674 )
  • Headache, Congestive (pg. 680 )
  • Headache, Congestive (pg. 680-681 )
  • Hematuria (pg. 686)
  • Hemicrania (pg. 687 )
  • Impotence (pg. 700-701 )
  • Insomnia (pg. 705-706 )
  • Melancholia (pg. 730 )
  • Metrorrhagia (pg. 734-735 )
  • Neuralgia (pg. 740-741 )
  • Opium Habit (pg. 749 )
  • Ovaralgia (pg. 753)
  • Ovaritis (pg. 753-754 )
  • Pain (pg. 755-756 )
  • Paralysis and Paresis (pg. 757 )
  • Paralysis Agitans (pg. 757-758 )
  • Pertussis (pg. 763 )
  • Phthisis (pg. 766-768 )
  • Tetanus (pg. 833-834 )
  • Tic Douloureux (pg. 835-836 )
  • Trismus (pg. 843 )
  • Urinary disorders (pg. 853 )
  • Uterine Cancer (pg. 860-861 )
  • Plus a lot of pages dealing with the medicine itself.

While a 1914 Text, "Hand-Book of Modern Treatment and Medical Formulary" by W.B. Campbell, recommends the use of Cannabis for the following diseases:

• Bronchitis (page 62, 64)
  • Cancer (page 72, 74)
  • Corns (page 100, 104)
  • Coryza and Cough (page 105, 108)
  • Dysmenorrhcea (page 142, 143)
  • Dyspepsia, (page 144, 146)
  • Gastralgia (page 199, 201, 202)
  • Headache (page 233, 237)
  • Impotence (page 257)
  • Mania Acute (page 288, 289)
  • Menopause (page 294, 295)
  • Monorrhagia & Metrorrhagia (page 295, 297
  • Migraine (page 299, 300)
  • Opium Habit (page 823)
  • Prostatitis (page 361, 362)
  • Strangury (page 406, 407)
  • Warts (page 471)
  • Whooping cough (page 478, 479)

Check out this link. It is from a Guide to Antique Medicine Containers. Given that, it does not have a lot of depth but notice the conditions that called for cannabis treatment.

http://antiquecannab...p11/MedUses.htm

Note this section

11.1.1 - IT'S MEDICAL USES:

According to the [1910] textbook "Therapeutics, Materia Medica and Pharmacy" By S. L. Potter; Medical Cannabis was recommended toward the following ailments:

• Corns (pg. 624 )
  • Cystitis, Acute (pg. 628 )
  • Epilepsy (pg. 654-656 )
  • Gonorrhea (pg. 674 )
  • Hematuria (pg. 686)
  • Hemicrania (pg. 687 )
  • Impotence (pg. 700-701
  • Melancholia (pg. 730 )
  • Neuralgia (pg. 740-741 )
  • Opium Habit (pg. 749 )
  • Ovaralgia (pg. 753)
  • Ovaritis (pg. 753-754 )
  • Pain (pg. 755-756 )
  • Paralysis and Paresis (pg. 757 )
  • Paralysis Agitans (pg. 757-758 )
  • Pertussis (pg. 763 )
  • Phthisis (pg. 766-768 )
  • Tetanus (pg. 833-834 )
  • Tic Douloureux (pg. 835-836 )
  • Trismus (pg. 843 )
  • Urinary disorders (pg. 853 )
  • Uterine Cancer (pg. 860-861 )
  • Plus a lot of pages dealing with the medicine itself.

While a 1914 Text, "Hand-Book of Modern Treatment and Medical Formulary" by W.B. Campbell, recommends the use of Cannabis for the following diseases:

• Bronchitis (page 62, 64)
  • Cancer (page 72, 74)
  • Corns (page 100, 104)
  • Coryza and Cough (page 105, 108)
  • Dysmenorrhcea (page 142, 143)
  • Dyspepsia, (page 144, 146)
  • Gastralgia (page 199, 201, 202)
  • Headache (page 233, 237)
  • Impotence (page 257)
  • Mania Acute (page 288, 289)
  • Menopause (page 294, 295)
  • Monorrhagia & Metrorrhagia (page 295, 297
  • Migraine (page 299, 300)
  • Opium Habit (page 823)
  • Prostatitis (page 361, 362)
  • Strangury (page 406, 407)
  • Warts (page 471)
  • Whooping cough (page 478, 479)

If you'd like I'll scan you some of my books from my grandparents about marijuana, too. And all the other stuff. I have about 20-30 books all predating 1940 on herbalism and other such stuff.

You should see what dandelions cure.

edit: it treats gonorrhea? Gonorrhea?!

Edited by jboyst62