Marijuna related health problems on the rise in US

For many pain/seizure issues it's strains with virtually no THC. So that leads me to one conclusion. People looking for medical marijuana high in THC = stoners. So I would love to see the amount of marijuana sales from these dispensaries where people are asking for strains high in THC.

That is a bad conclusion, Chef. CBD has gotten the coverage lately from Sanjay Gupta and that is great but it is certain that the other cannabinoids have medicinal properties too, including THC.

Recall too that most studies now talk about the 'entourage effect' of the cannabinoids working more effectively in concert.

It would be a big mistake to assume that we should just extract the CBD and throw out the rest of the plant.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a bad conclusion, Chef. CBD has gotten the coverage lately from Sanjay Gupta and that is great but it is certain that the other cannabinoids have medicinal properties too, including THC.

Recall too that most studies now talk about the 'entourage effect' of the cannabinoids working more effectively in concert.

It would be a big mistake to assume that we should just extract the CBD and throw out the rest of the plant.

I have no desire to get stoned so I will be requesting cannabis with the lowest percentage of THC.

My lady-friend does not get high and hates smoke/weed in general but I've turned her on to the CBD creams for the arthritis in her hands and she says they work like gangbusters. She uses it on her feet too after a long day of wearing uncomfortable shoes and swears by it.

The creams and balms are getting better every month too, more CBD and less THC.

An alternative to risking addiction would be for some cheap-o to buy her a pair of comfortable shoes.

Weed would accomplish the same thing, without the dependency, constipation, or depression commonly associated with opiates. I'm not even joking on this one, which is why it's ridiculous for it to be excluded from a doctor's arsenal of pain relief options.

They're not even close to accomplishing the same thing for me, and I've smoked a crapload of weed. Norco is the ultimately happy pill for me. I remember the second or third time I took it. My wife came into my office at the 30-minute witching hour...the moment the pill kicked in, and telling her "I would love to find a way to feel like I do at this very moment...all day, every day for the rest of my life."

Weed just enhances whatever mood I'm in at the time I smoke it, so if I had a bad day, getting high can make things worse. If I'm stressed about something, weed only adds to the stress. Near the end of my weed-smoking days, I resorted to only smoking on days the Bills would win.

Which is how I ended up quitting after the 2001 season.

So does that relieve the pain without the buzz, and in my case, the paranoia?

Yes, and you can vaporize it (no smoke or smell). The only down side (that I've found) is it takes a bit to kick in but once it does it works really well for pain management. It's not as powerful as strains that mix and match, but it has no psychedelic side effects or paranoia.

An alternative to risking addiction would be for some cheap-o to buy her a pair of comfortable shoes.

Ask GoogleBot how I can double my income and I would be more inclined to buy her nicer shoes. For now she has to survive with the bags I give her.

They're not even close to accomplishing the same thing for me, and I've smoked a crapload of weed. Norco is the ultimately happy pill for me. I remember the second or third time I took it. My wife came into my office at the 30-minute witching hour...the moment the pill kicked in, and telling her "I would love to find a way to feel like I do at this very moment...all day, every day for the rest of my life."

Weed just enhances whatever mood I'm in at the time I smoke it, so if I had a bad day, getting high can make things worse. If I'm stressed about something, weed only adds to the stress. Near the end of my weed-smoking days, I resorted to only smoking on days the Bills would win.

Which is how I ended up quitting after the 2001 season.

:lol: :lol:

For many pain/seizure issues it's strains with virtually no THC. So that leads me to one conclusion. People looking for medical marijuana high in THC = stoners. So I would love to see the amount of marijuana sales from these dispensaries where people are asking for strains high in THC.

Agree, that info would be important for consideration when states are considering medical mary jane legislation.

Yes, and you can vaporize it (no smoke or smell). The only down side (that I've found) is it takes a bit to kick in but once it does it works really well for pain management. It's not as powerful as strains that mix and match, but it has no psychedelic side effects

My friend, who has done his research, says to go to several dispensaries and as questions. I they don't carry stains with low or no THC to move on. That's one of the good thing about living in Oaksterdam is I'll have plenty of places to choose from. I just have to get my card.

My friend, who has done his research, says to go to several dispensaries and as questions. I they don't carry stains with low or no THC to move on. That's one of the good thing about living in Oaksterdam is I'll have plenty of places to choose from. I just have to get my card.

Absolutely, there are good shops and bad ones. I found one here that's close and has been nothing but helpful, importing strains specifically for my issues at times to try to see if they'd help more. Finding the right shop is key to finding the best treatment.

Of course, folks looking to just get high (of which those are the majority and I'm sometimes one so I can't throw stones) pretty much any shop will do.

Getting your card should be pretty routine, I just renewed mine (30 bucks a year essentially) and was in and out in ten minutes. Since you have a legit back condition, it should be as smooth and quick for you I'd imagine. Walking in with any sort of paperwork on your condition from your doc gets you in and out quickly, though it's not required.

:o

Who would have thunk it?

http://america.aljaz...rugsagency.html

LOL, this story. Let me break down what it says.

1) MJ use went up 2% in four years.

2) There was a 59% increase in "cannabis-related" emergency room visits (which means what exactly? I hit my head while doing bong hits?)

3) This might be a problem but no evidence given as to what exactly.

CNN story on a young man that OD'd on pain killers. Apparently the Doctor misplaced his ethics

Adam's story: When prescription drugs are deadly

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/health/diaz-prescription-drugs/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

From the article

In an affidavit, the DEA alleges that in the six weeks before Adam Montgomery's death, Dr. Diaz prescribed him a total of 2,087 pills, an average of 63 pills a day.

Here are listed some of the medicinal properties of THC for those that feel it is just for stoners. This info is from the link below.

THC is a partial agonist at CB1 and cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) analogous to AEA, and underlying many of its activities as a psychoactive agent, analgesic, muscle relaxant and antispasmodic. Additionally, it is a bronchodilator, neuroprotective antioxidant, antipruritic agent in cholestatic jaundice and has 20 times the anti-inflammatory power of aspirin and twice that of hydrocortisone. THC is likely to avoid potential pitfalls of either COX-1 or COX-2 inhibition, as such activity is only noted at concentrations far above those attained therapeutically.

This table shows the medicinal effects of the various cannabinoids and terpenes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....946/table/tbl1/

Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3165946/

Edited by Bob in Mich

Ok so I pulled the trigger and got my MM marijuana card yesterday. Quite comical actually. I found a place that had a doctor there that would evaluate me and get me my card right there so I wouldn't need a Rx from my PCP. So I walk in and there is a girl at the window who the "doctor" referred to as his "nurse" (smoking hot Latina BTW). I fill out two forms essentially giving my name address and DOB and asking me what I need the cannabis for. She says have a seat I'll be right with you. I sit down and she opens the door five seconds later and says the "doctor" will see you now. She lets me in a room with a desk a laptop and a chair. Nothing else. Nothing on the walls. She motions to the chair and says "have a seat and I'll leave you alone withe the "Doctor". I look at the laptop thinking there's probably a list of questions to answer on there. Nope, the "doctor" pops up via Skype. He asks what my issue is. I tell him back pain, pinched nerve probably sciatic. He says you'll want something high in CBD which was my plan all along. We talk about best method of administration. He mentions smoking seeing it's easier to control the dose. And that's it. $55 later I can carry 8 oz. grow up to 6 mature plants. Very weird that I have nothing to worry about regarding that. More on that in a bit. The best question was she asked me if I ever used this "medicine" before. I said yes, but not as medicine. She asked me again later I said "I grew up in the 60's and 70's we all did." She so tried to maintain her professionalism and just gave a slight smile. She said she just wanted to make sure I was familiar with the "side effects". I said "don't worry, I won't freak out."

Now off to the dispensary. The "nurse" recommended a couple of places so I went to the one nearest. It had only been open 3 weeks so it was clean and neat. I go the the budtender (yes, that's what their called). I tell him what I need it for and I'm looking for something low in THC. He gives me a bottle of the tincture and says this is what I need. He said his boss takes one drop every morning and the pain is gone. Excellent. Just what I'm looking for. I look at the buds displayed in the case and think. Hmmmm, it's Saturday, it's a long weekend, go for it. So I ask him for some with a lower amount of THC. He recommends some that he says is a much mellower daytime high. Ok, we'll go with that. Seeing I was a new "member" I got a free gram so he gives me a bud of some that has a stronger nighttime buzz. Ok. I love the names of some of the stuff. Cookies and Cream. Blueberry. Bubblegum. Chocolate Chunk. Where the !@#$ am I? The frozen yogurt shop? My favorite was Chernobyl. I won't even go near that stuff.

I get home and try the tincture. One drop under the tongue as recommended. Nothing, An hour or so later I try three or four drops on my tongue. Nothing. Still in pain. Well I think let me take Bob's advice and smoke the bud with some THC in it. Nothing. Well nothing for the pain but the buzz was just as described. Mellow, smooth, and no freak out. Very little paranoia because I'm legal. :D So I'm getting it now. Find a good dispensary and tell the budtender what you're looking for. You want a nice lucid buzz they'll steer you in the right direction. But as a pain reliever I went to bed in pain very disappointed. So I got up this morning and tried eight drops in water. Well guess what. The pain is much less. Not gone but less and the mornings is when it's terrible. No buzz either. At least I don't think so, it might be the coffee.

Ok so I just looked up some other "flavor" names. They have George Bush. That **** must really !@#$ you up and make you stupid.

Oh and just for the record. There were two other people there besides me. And? Stoners.

Edited by Chef Jim

Wow, marijuana for medicine! Yeah right! What a joke. We all know that medical marijuana is just a big ruse organized by the stoners

I've never tried that stuff myself. I heard that it is bad for you. What about the long term effects? What about the children and the puppies, are you sure you are thinking clearly. Maybe that stuff already ruined your brain.

Was your experience like this? I heard they are like this.

lol Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you can experiment with some different strains and different delivery methods and find something that works well for your condition. You may still want to keep the vicodins for breakthrough pain but hopefully the cannabis can keep you away from daily opiate use. Good luck.

Wow, marijuana for medicine! Yeah right! What a joke. We all know that medical marijuana is just a big ruse organized by the stoners

I've never tried that stuff myself. I heard that it is bad for you. What about the long term effects? What about the children and the puppies, are you sure you are thinking clearly. Maybe that stuff already ruined your brain.

Was your experience like this? I heard they are like this.

lol Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you can experiment with some different strains and different delivery methods and find something that works well for your condition. You may still want to keep the vicodins for breakthrough pain but hopefully the cannabis can keep you away from daily opiate use. Good luck.

You are arguing with imaginary naysayers here regarding it's medicinal uses. Very few if any of us are denying that. What we are saying is that it has allowed stoners to access pot legally without any confirmation of a medical condition. My story spelled that out quite clearly. I would love to see how many people with MM cards suffer at all from any malady that requires the "medicine". And an insatiable desire to be high 24/7 is not a medical malady. I bet it would be an overwhelming majority.

Ok so I pulled the trigger and got my MM marijuana card yesterday. Quite comical actually. I found a place that had a doctor there that would evaluate me and get me my card right there so I wouldn't need a Rx from my PCP. So I walk in and there is a girl at the window who the "doctor" referred to as his "nurse" (smoking hot Latina BTW). I fill out two forms essentially giving my name address and DOB and asking me what I need the cannabis for. She says have a seat I'll be right with you. I sit down and she opens the door five seconds later and says the "doctor" will see you now. She lets me in a room with a desk a laptop and a chair. Nothing else. Nothing on the walls. She motions to the chair and says "have a seat and I'll leave you alone withe the "Doctor". I look at the laptop thinking there's probably a list of questions to answer on there. Nope, the "doctor" pops up via Skype. He asks what my issue is. I tell him back pain, pinched nerve probably sciatic. He says you'll want something high in CBD which was my plan all along. We talk about best method of administration. He mentions smoking seeing it's easier to control the dose. And that's it. $55 later I can carry 8 oz. grow up to 6 mature plants. Very weird that I have nothing to worry about regarding that. More on that in a bit. The best question was she asked me if I ever used this "medicine" before. I said yes, but not as medicine. She asked me again later I said "I grew up in the 60's and 70's we all did." She so tried to maintain her professionalism and just gave a slight smile. She said she just wanted to make sure I was familiar with the "side effects". I said "don't worry, I won't freak out."

Now off to the dispensary. The "nurse" recommended a couple of places so I went to the one nearest. It had only been open 3 weeks so it was clean and neat. I go the the budtender (yes, that's what their called). I tell him what I need it for and I'm looking for something low in THC. He gives me a bottle of the tincture and says this is what I need. He said his boss takes one drop every morning and the pain is gone. Excellent. Just what I'm looking for. I look at the buds displayed in the case and think. Hmmmm, it's Saturday, it's a long weekend, go for it. So I ask him for some with a lower amount of THC. He recommends some that he says is a much mellower daytime high. Ok, we'll go with that. Seeing I was a new "member" I got a free gram so he gives me a bud of some that has a stronger nighttime buzz. Ok. I love the names of some of the stuff. Cookies and Cream. Blueberry. Bubblegum. Chocolate Chunk. Where the !@#$ am I? The frozen yogurt shop? My favorite was Chernobyl. I won't even go near that stuff.

I get home and try the tincture. One drop under the tongue as recommended. Nothing, An hour or so later I try three or four drops on my tongue. Nothing. Still in pain. Well I think let me take Bob's advice and smoke the bud with some THC in it. Nothing. Well nothing for the pain but the buzz was just as described. Mellow, smooth, and no freak out. Very little paranoia because I'm legal. :D So I'm getting it now. Find a good dispensary and tell the budtender what you're looking for. You want a nice lucid buzz they'll steer you in the right direction. But as a pain reliever I went to bed in pain very disappointed. So I got up this morning and tried eight drops in water. Well guess what. The pain is much less. Not gone but less and the mornings is when it's terrible. No buzz either. At least I don't think so, it might be the coffee.

Ok so I just looked up some other "flavor" names. They have George Bush. That **** must really !@#$ you up and make you stupid.

Oh and just for the record. There were two other people there besides me. And? Stoners.

Great stuff. The skype doctor is my favorite part. I thought the guy I got my card from was shady, but at least he was there in the flesh. Choosing your bud store is important, I don't know what it's like in SF but I know in LA there is a world of difference between the shops. There are plenty of sketchy, dirty, probably less than legal shops around that I avoid as their stuff is terrible. If you find one who has knowledgeable budtenders (they do exist) they can really help you find the best strains for your pain management.

The drops are great, they work for me as well. I tend to put them in my tea or coffee in the morning and just make it part of my routine. They aren't for instant pain relief as you discovered though, they're better for long term pain management. If I'm ever really hurting, which happens more than I'd like, vaping or smoking the Charlotte's Web helps with the pain immediately and I follow that up with something heavy to help me sleep. This worked better for me in the long term than opiates and harsher pain meds that really left me unable to work, think, or be much of a human being. At least with the bud, if I'm not smoking the knock-my-ass-out-stuff, I can function.

Great stuff. The skype doctor is my favorite part. I thought the guy I got my card from was shady, but at least he was there in the flesh. Choosing your bud store is important, I don't know what it's like in SF but I know in LA there is a world of difference between the shops. There are plenty of sketchy, dirty, probably less than legal shops around that I avoid as their stuff is terrible. If you find one who has knowledgeable budtenders (they do exist) they can really help you find the best strains for your pain management.

The drops are great, they work for me as well. I tend to put them in my tea or coffee in the morning and just make it part of my routine. They aren't for instant pain relief as you discovered though, they're better for long term pain management. If I'm ever really hurting, which happens more than I'd like, vaping or smoking the Charlotte's Web helps with the pain immediately and I follow that up with something heavy to help me sleep. This worked better for me in the long term than opiates and harsher pain meds that really left me unable to work, think, or be much of a human being. At least with the bud, if I'm not smoking the knock-my-ass-out-stuff, I can function.

!@#$ SF I live in Oaksterdam baby! It's like the Napa valley for bud. So anyway I am completely pain free from my sciatica for the first time in nearly four months. So what do I do this morning? I tweak my lower back lifting bags of river rock. WTFH!?!? I'm thinking the Glock is my best pain remedy at this point.