Pegula hires premiere sports broker for Bills deal

I've seen tweets about not wanting Pegula because of the Sabres situation. (Of course, they are outnumbered 100 to 1). "He doesn't understand hockey."

Everybody always wants an owner who is willing to spend, and gets out of the way of hockey or football decisions...........We have the perfect one, and yet people give him crap. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Agree its incredible the stupidity.......

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen tweets about not wanting Pegula because of the Sabres situation. (Of course, they are outnumbered 100 to 1). "He doesn't understand hockey."

Everybody always wants an owner who is willing to spend, and gets out of the way of hockey or football decisions...........We have the perfect one, and yet people give him crap.

He got crap because he didn't clean house when he bought the Sabres. Everybody but him realized Darcy was a problem. He finally wised up and so far Murrey looks like a good choice. Hopefully Pegula has learned his lesson and won't stand pay if or when the Bills need a management change should he become owner.

Darcy wasn't much of a problem when he built the Sabres into a President's Cup winning team. Like Murray said, he inherited a good foundation here, so I think we can give Darcy some credit. Did he hang around too long watch his core grow stale and reach it's ceiling? Yes, no question. But I don't necessarily hate Pegula for giving him the chance to build it once again.

But Murray is on the right track so it's all good.

Darcy wasn't much of a problem when he built the Sabres into a President's Cup winning team. Like Murray said, he inherited a good foundation here, so I think we can give Darcy some credit. Did he hang around too long watch his core grow stale and reach it's ceiling? Yes, no question. But I don't necessarily hate Pegula for giving him the chance to build it once again.

But Murray is on the right track so it's all good.

Biggest problem with Darcy was that he drafted players that didn't fit what Lindy wanted to do on the ice...that, and his unbelievable choice to keep Rolston as his head coach.

The team was a mess as Pegula took over and we were overdue for a change then. We had a laundry list of poor decisions that put the team amongst the worst in the NHL. People were getting very sick of and vocal of management... Pegula was about to buy the team and they got red hot and made the playoffs... only to choke in games 6 and 7... but it bought a little time.

Ruff should have been canned by Darcy at some point. His message was stale and they needed to change that up. That was also a reason they couldnt land any real free agent fish out there. I truly believe star players on some level enjoy the power they have in that things go south, they can "tune out" a coach, the coach will get canned. When the coach is a hard ass and is an immovable object, its not a great destination for players. I also think the change was good for Ruff, as he even admits he changed some with his new position in Dallas. Seemed more set in his ways in Buffalo.

Then the whole Rolston "hire" and re-hire was as transparent as can be... Darcy wanted a clone who wouldnt question his decisions or methods. No interview process at all was conducted...

Worst of all, for this rebuild, Darcy was planning on casting the prospects into the NHL to get their teeth kicked in night after night, half the time in front of a belligerent home crowd who hates the team. One game I couldnt believe Zadorov was out there getting abused by Getzlaf for a hat trick. It was an unfair mismatch and no way he develops like that... The rebuild was going to be undermined.

Anyways, Regier is not clueless, isnt a stooge. Does some aspects VERY well, and Assistant GM he should be a big asset to Phoenix/Arizona. Overall he is very good at drafting, and I appreciated how he would get the upper hand in most trades. Probably the best 4 year span of my life - 98-01 (Hasek with huge credit though)... and 05-07 were good. Overall the organization was long overdue for a change in eyes. Regier seemed to be stanchly behind his guys that he acquired or drafted to the point of fault...

Edited by May Day 10

Wasn't keeping regier around 2.5 years too long valid to point out the "downfall" of the sabres under pegula?

Very relevant imo because he may be in a similar situation with the bills if he is selected as the winning bidder.

I think it also shows an owner who learned a lesson and adapted/changed course which is a good sign imo

Wasn't keeping regier around 2.5 years too long valid to point out the "downfall" of the sabres under pegula?

Very relevant imo because he may be in a similar situation with the bills if he is selected as the winning bidder.

I think it also shows an owner who learned a lesson and adapted/changed course which is a good sign imo

He gave Regier a chance to continue what he had already started and it failed. Kind of like the saying, give someone enough rope to hang themselves with.

Ruff got a raw deal because of regier but don't think he would have lasted anyways.

Edited by The Wiz