104 members have voted

1. 1. Team USA or Team B'Lo?

• Team USA wins 2014 World Cup
    • The Buffalo Bills win the 2014 AFC East

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...except if the USA won...WON...the World Cup, it'd be a big !@#$ing deal. Here and throughout the world.

But I only care about myself and Bills Nation. Actually, I played this game yesterday with someone who asked if I would give up one Bills win next year for the soccer team to win the WC. I said hell to the no. He asked if I'd give up one TD. We settled on an extra point but only if it didn't change the outcome of the game.

The soccer people have been making this argument since 1967 when soccer came to America again. We're now 3 or 4 generations in. Once these kids playing soccer grow up they'e going to watch soccer and go to games they say. It is more popular now than it has ever been, but is still, a distant 5th or 6th in fan appeal behind football, baseball, basketball, and NASCAR, and maybe hockey.

Football's biggest problem is the concussion thing which could be it's downfall if they don't figure something out.

You're not wrong, but you're missing some key points and arriving at the wrong conclusion, I think.

Just because soccer's popularity hasn't hastily closed the gap from 1967 until now, doesn't mean that momentum isn't building...it is.

Something everyone knows: a **** ton of American kids play soccer. So much so, even, that it is BY FAR the most popular youth sport.

Something most people intuitively known, but I can verify (because my wife works for the US Soccer Federation): the attrition rate after players turn 14 is RIDICULOUS. It falls off a !@#$ing cliff...fast.

BUT...the sport has been steadily chipping away at the attrition rate, and said chipping is beginning to accelerate.

Why now? Because young people have way more access to the sport than anyone's had since 1967. The English Premier League now plays on NBC Sports. International players are now household names known amongst today's youth.

Also contributing to the sport's growing popularity: the rampant success of the FIFA video game.

But a real indication of the tipping point? Social media (of course). Young fans are more engaged with the USSF/MLS on twitter and on other forms of social media than they are with any other major sport.

The concussion issue will help soccer gain on football, but whether it overtakes the sport's popularity in our lifetime is highly unlikely.

But make no mistake, it's definitely closing the gap, and it's happening faster than it ever has before.

Will it overtake hockey? Could. Baseball? Definitely possible. Basketball? I have my doubts. Football? Only if the concussion issue really does take a serious chunk out of youth participation (which is most certainly might).

So, hop on board, y'all. In the 1950's everyone shook their heads when my great grandmother told everyone in earshot that the only people left playing baseball would be blacks and Hispanics. Don't be the guy who says "soccer will never happen in America."

The soccer people have been making this argument since 1967 when soccer came to America again. We're now 3 or 4 generations in. Once these kids playing soccer grow up they'e going to watch soccer and go to games they say. It is more popular now than it has ever been, but is still, a distant 5th or 6th in fan appeal behind football, baseball, basketball, and NASCAR, and maybe hockey.

Football's biggest problem is the concussion thing which could be it's downfall if they don't figure something out.

I played soccer for two years as a kid. Never understood the appeal of watching it though.

Okay...except if the USA won...WON...the World Cup, it'd be a big !@#$ing deal. Here and throughout the world.

It would be a big deal for another week or two and then what? The next World Cup is 4 years away. As soon a as real football (even camp) began, no oen would care about US soccer.

It will always be thus...

Yolo, you're funny. I'd give up every gold medal in the Olympics in two years for a SB win.

Even in synchronized swimming.

Me too, but this poll asked about merely winning a division title, which ensures nothing but additional playoff heartbreak.

That vs winning the entire WC? No comparison. A championship is a championship.

Obviously, there aren't many soccer fans on this board. But to any sane person, the USA winning the world championship in the premium sport on the planet would be about 100x greater that a division title (are we really THAT desperate for any success that we can even compare the two?).

I remember when the Bills used to turn out division titles like sausages. Now we think one is worth more than a World Cup championship? Wow.

Edited by vincec

Haha, I actually considered that winning the AFCE would be too much of a runaway favorite to make for a good poll (I was right).

Nah 8-8 would have run away with it here as well. Its a Bills board for gods sake and many Americans are afraid that someday soccer will become the favorite sport here as it is in most of the rest of the world. It was a slam dunk. :)

It would be a big deal for another week or two and then what? The next World Cup is 4 years away. As soon a as real football (even camp) began, no oen would care about US soccer.

Thanks for the laugh :)

seriously who voted for soccer? they should get a month suspension.

I did. It's a true world championship after all and would be a huge accomplishment for a country where a lot of people still comment "seriously who voted for soccer? they should get a month suspension."

Obviously, there aren't many soccer fans on this board. But to any sane person, the USA winning the world championship in the premium sport on the planet would be about 100x greater that a division title (are we really THAT desperate for any success that we can even compare the two?).

I remember when the Bills used to turn out division titles like sausages. Now we think one is worth more than a World Cup championship? Wow.

I actually think almost everyone here does realize that, but on a tackle football board it is football good, soccer bad.

Edited by CodeMonkey

seriously who voted for soccer? they should get a month suspension.

I did.

Not so much because I care about soccer. Or US soccer. Or the growth of US soccer.

Its because I dont like the idea of setting "winning the AFC East" as such a supreme accomplishment. I know its been a while, but I dont want to lower my standards.

Winning 1 playoff game > world cup championship.

Sweeping the AFCE > world cup championship

Going 8-8 but sweeping New England > world cup championship.

But just winning the division = meh. A very happy "meh," but . . . .

But to any sane person, the USA winning the world championship in the premium sport on the planet would be about 100x greater that a division title (are we really THAT desperate for any success that we can even compare the two?).

That's the sad part. A division title is nice, but ultimately meaningless if it doesn't result in a championship.

And then the US is the defending champ, and ensures their place in history. Compared to one of the 24 NFL division titles awarded in the same 4 years, all of which are forgotten exactly one week later when the playoffs start.

Edited by KD in CT