Frank Summers in this offense

#34fan

It's definitely something I'd like to see.

But how does it happen with the current offensive staff? Summers has definitely set himself up as a short-range weapon. -He catches pretty well too... Should this guy be featured more often? -If so, as what? Discuss.

In this offensive staff??? They are not new and they are the only staff that bright him in,

I would like to see a role for him. I think we keep 5 backs (4rbs and Summers). He is the only trie FB

Dixon can fill that void. Or so I'm told.

I like the man, I really do. As I've said before, fullback is a nasty unglamorous job and I'm sad to see it fading in the league. His hands aren't bad and the guy is built like a brick.

That said...Dixon has fullback traits as well, and he also has the versatility to play a bruiser running back, and I can see him taking over for Fred next year.

I want to see Summers in the offense, but he's definitely last on the depth chart in the backfield and having five RB's...when you have a WR group as deep as ours...that's hard to justify.

Summers will make the team fellas. Count on it. Not because of his ability to play FB, but because he is an excellent ST player.

The Bills don't have anyone like him on the roster.

He will also be a nice benefit to have in short yardage and goal line situations. He's obviously built for blocking, but can also sneak out of the backfield and catch the ball as a change up.

If the team only takes 6 LBs (Spikes/Alonso/Rivers/Brown/Bradham/Pollard), which is what I think will happen, then Summers will essentially take what would be the 7th LB's spot as a ST player.

Summers will make the team fellas. Count on it. Not because of his ability to play FB, but because he is an excellent ST player.

The Bills don't have anyone like him on the roster.

He will also be a nice benefit to have in short yardage and goal line situations. He's obviously built for blocking, but can also sneak out of the backfield and catch the ball as a change up.

If the team only takes 6 LBs (Spikes/Alonso/Rivers/Brown/Bradham/Pollard), which is what I think will happen, then Summers will essentially take what would be the 7th LB's spot as a ST player.

Why do you think Summers is excellent on special teams? I know he blocked on our KR team and we had a very poor average last year. Marrone has certainly not mentioned him as one of their "core" special teams guys.

Agree that the man ran with some intensity last year when given the opportunity, but I see him as a very long shot to make the roster. The addition of Dixon and our late season pickup of Rodriguez makes me think this guy is not in our plans.

Edited by Flip Johnson

Summers, Dixon and Rodriguezz will be battling it out for the #4 spot.

All are similar builds, with Summers on the short end @ 5'9" and Rodriguez on the tall end @ 6'2" and Dixon @ 6'1"

All are withing a 10lb range of 235-245.

Summers and Dixon are the most similar with a slight edge in athleticism going to Dixon, but a friendlier cap # in favor of Summers. Both are above average ST players, Dixon, because of more experience, has a slight edge here as well.

Rodriguez is the best receiving option, which wouldn't know given his late arrival and lack of reps, but he was a good TE in college. Seems to be more of an H-Back.

Can't discount heart, which Frank the Tank seems to have a lot of, but Dixon may as well, but that remains to be seen...big ? on Rodriguez in this area.

Also, have to consider Rodriguez's rap sheet, even though this staff sems a bit more willing to give the lesser "character" guys a fair shot.

All in all, this should be a nice "fight for a spot" roster battle in camp. Having depth in competition for your #4 RB position (or #1 FB) is a good problem to have.

I think Dixon is a given to make the final roster. He can play RB/FB, but his best contribution will likely be on ST. He's a monster ST player.

Consider that many teams keep a combination of 4-5 RBs/FBs. New England always has for instance. Jax/Spiller/B. Brown/Dixon are all locks. Dixon is not a FB. Rodriguez has been completely invisible to this point.

I won't say that Summers is a lock, but he has a lot better chance to make the final roster than many of you think. Writing him off so easily is a mistake.

I just think that because of the way that the roster is currently comprised that Summers will find his way onto the roster. He offers something that they don't have..........that special type of blocker, especially for short yardage and goal line situations.

The difference between winning and losing the close games is converting on third and short or scoring from the one yard line instead of turning the ball over or being forced to kick a FG. That's why guys like Summers and L. Smith deserve strong consideration and why both will be kept to do the so called "dirty work".

[As I posted several weeks ago]

What I want to know is if Brown can effectively follow a fullback. It has looked to me like Fred can, and Spiller really can't. If Summers beats Dixon, I have to think it's by being a better pure FB. I really liked Summers when he got the ball last year, it just sounds, from the little info I have read, like Dixon is better at catching the ball, being a RB if needed, and also can play STs.