I think we are closer than we have been in years

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are closer than we have been in years

Thanks man, I didn't know you cared! :cry:

Team has much better depth, talent at skill positions than recent memory.

Offensively it will depend on how EJ progresses.

Defensively it will depend on stopping the run & whether the front 4 can get pressure on the QB.

Special teams depend on Crossman & the punter.

I have the opposite feeling. Usually I'm optimistic about them every year around this time, but not this season.

It all stems from having little faith in the QB and zero faith in the coach after seeing what I saw last year. Losing Byrd, Stevie and Pettine doesn't help either.

I hope I'm wrong though.

As I just defended EJ in another thread, I agree that this team goes as far as he can take them...

I think that's the general consensus, also...

It's not a consensus because I disagree with your premise.

It appears that we have upgraded the talent on the team especially at the WR position which has been totally lacking for years and years. However I think our coaching staff needs to step up for us to have any playoff chances this year. This includes Schwartz, Hackett Jr, and obviously, the main man himself, Coach Marrone, you know.

I agree we're not a dumpster fire of question marks like in years past. Pinning all of our hopes on a 53-year old Terrell Owens? My god... We've narrowed the dumpster fire of question marks down to a very few, but very key question marks.

I think the new OLmen additions are another important factor. If we hit on 2 OL upgrades then EJ can take us to the playoffs with only decent improvement.....and the new D system as the OP mentioned.

I agree we're not a dumpster fire of question marks like in years past. Pinning all of our hopes on a 53-year old Terrell Owens? My god... We've narrowed the dumpster fire of question marks down to a very few, but very key question marks.

I think we are still a dumpster fire of question marks, personally. A better team than in years past, yes... but still way too many question marks to assume we'll have success.

Questions at:

QB - Obvious

OL - Will our rookies and FA pick up improve last year's disaster?

WR - A rookie, a FA who has questions, and two second year unprovens make up our core here...

LB - We got a run stuffer in the middle, but will be help us in all aspects?

DB - Lost our FS, will Williams slide over and replace him? Will Searcy (who I suspect will win SS) do a decent job?

Special Teams - Last year a disaster, will they improve this year?

Coaching - Will our 2nd year squad do any better? Will Schwartz coach a solid D?

Every single group above needs to be significantly better than last year for us to make the playoffs... I'm hoping it happens, but I'm expecting another short season for us.

Edited by Dorkington

I think we are still a dumpster fire of question marks, personally. A better team than in years past, yes... but still way too many question marks to assume we'll have success.

Good way of putting it.

Good teams have very few question marks, especially at the QB position. We need a lot to break right for us.

Questions at:

QB - Obvious

OL - Will our rookies and FA pick up improve last year's disaster?

WR - A rookie, a FA who has questions, and two second year unprovens make up our core here...

LB - We got a run stuffer in the middle, but will be help us in all aspects?

DB - Lost our FS, will Williams slide over and replace him? Will Searcy (who I suspect will win SS) do a decent job?

Special Teams - Last year a disaster, will they improve this year?

Coaching - Will our 2nd year squad do any better? Will Schwartz coach a solid D?

Every single group above needs to be significantly better than last year for us to make the playoffs... I'm hoping it happens, but I'm expecting another short season for us.

If every single group is significantly better than last year we will not only be making the playoffs, but making a run for the SB. We are well past the era of having teams dominating in all aspects to win SBs.

As I just defended EJ in another thread, I agree that this team goes as far as he can take them...

I think that's the general consensus, also...

Over and over I'll say our 52 man roster matches the bengals in quality - just a matter if guy 53 (ie ej) and our OC can match the bengals output for those spots (or maybe exceed it).