US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last appeal took 4 years to conclude, so 4 more years of Redskins... 4 more years of whining about the "disparaging" name....

America is turning very soft.... congratuations. Pretty soon, the government will tell you what you can eat, can drink, etc for X reason or someone got offended.

Glad I'm older so I don't have to spend more time in THAT America.

I always get a chuckle from people that feel like this. We should all be able to do whatever we want, when ever we want, until that thing starts messing up your lifestyle. Then congress has to pass a law to stop it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We need to get rid of trademarks and licenses if we're going to compete with the Chinese counterfeit apparel industry. My only concern is that this will be the beginning of a brutal trade war at a time when tensions between the two nations are already pretty high.

I don't think the patent office should be making decisions based on political or moral reasons.

Nor do I, but then again, they're making it up as they go in DC these days, anyway, so the Patent Office may as well get in on the act, too.

I don't think the patent office should be making decisions based on political or moral reasons.

There's nothing new about denying TM applications on these grounds:

consists of or includes matter which may disparage or bring into contempt or disrepute persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols

actually, they can and should make decisions based on moral reasoning:

"Since 1905 federal trademark law has banned the registration of scandalous or immoral marks. In 1947, marks that may disparage, bring into contempt or disrepute persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols were also banned. U.S. trademark law is not unique in prohibiting the registration of offensive trademarks. Many other countries’ trademark laws contain similar provisions."

more: http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2013/11/racial-slurs-and-football-team-names-what-does-trademark-law-say/