US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

Actually I haven't introduced any political bias into the discussion and if you could've taken a moment because offering your knee-jerk response, you might have noticed the two Senators who recently called on the NFL to change the name were from opposite political parties. The timing of that action with a ruling on an issue that (supposedly) has around since the 1980s goes well beyond suspicious.Given your well worn crusade on this topic, it's no surprise that you can't acknowledge or discuss anything outside of your pre-programmed view.

Did you not mention politicians?

In general anything that pisses off Dan Snyder is good, but politicians using the U.S. Patent Office to enforce politically correct whims of the day is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not mention politicians?

Yeah...politicians. Which you somehow interpreted as "political bias" and "naked left or right issue". Nice leap Indiana Jones. Apparently you are the one who has boiled this issue down to 'naked left or right' based on your response.

I simply pointed out someone appears to have influenced the US Patent Office to help achieve politically motivated ends. I think that's a bad idea regardless of the political stripes on the people involved or the issue at hand.

And yes, IMO this is a politically correct whim of the day. Obviously we don't agree on that and that's fine.

No.

But "offensive is "offensive"

Try and be consistent.

Offensive isn't offensive when the people who could/should be offended simply are not offended and nobody of color has made it an issue.

In other words, it's not about you or me, it's about what the indigenous peoples of this continent feel about the name. And if they find it disrespectful, then it should be changed.

Only children and juvenile d-bags go out of their way to offend people, grownups show respect.

Offensive isn't offensive when the people who could/should be offended simply are not offended and nobody of color has made it an issue.

In other words, it's not about you or me, it's about what the indigenous peoples of this continent feel about the name. And if they find it disrespectful, then it should be changed.

Only children and juvenile d-bags go out of their way to offend people, grownups show respect.

This is the crux of the issue for me.

You're right, the "n-word" was once a commonly used term but we found that many people of color found it offensive. And we learned about it's history so we stopped using it. And we evolved.

We know many of the indigenous people of this continent find the term "Redskin" offensive.

And here's the history of the word, contrary to the club's position on it: In 1755, the Lt Gov of the Massachusets Bay Colony issued an edict called the Phips Proclamation. In it, each man would be paid a bounty for the bloody scalps of the Penobscot Indians. Each man's scalp - or "redskin" - was 50£. they got 25£ for a woman's, and 20£ for boys and girls under age 12.

The question now is, knowing what we know - that "Redskin" is different than "Indian," "Seminole," "Chiefs," or "Warriors" - and being able to appreciate why a Native American would find it offensive, will we evolve?

Edited by Beerball

<snip>

That's why they aren't called the Penobscot Indians, They are called the Redskins.

If you read my post above, you wouldn't have posted what you did. Just about any other term associated with Native Americans would be a better nickname than "Redskins." It symbolizes the bloody scalps of fathers and mothers and sons and daughters that were collected for a bounty. That doesn't seem wrong to you?

Are you a Redskins fan?

Are you Native American?

Is there any real reason you care what their team nickname is?

This is beyond comical. Who do you think brought these grievance cases before the USPTO?

The plaintiff is a Native American woman named Amanda Blackhorse.

Edited by Campy

This is beyond comical. Who do you think brought these grievance cases before the USPTO?

:lol: Come on 26! They're on a roll. You wouldn't talk to a pitcher in the middle of a no-hitter would ya?

Should they have named the team Redskins? No. However, if you were to ask the general public, about two years ago, before this debate was brought up, what they think of when they hear Redskin, they'd prolly all say the football team. Point is, the meaning and connotations of certain words change over time.