US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I am in am different camp. I think that the only thing which is pretty much a truth in the NFL is that almost any issue is not about the morality its about the money. This has been true of items like concussions, steroids, recreational, the CBA, etc.

My guess of what Snyder is doing here is that he knows full well that this is the continuing beginning of the end for the De4adskins use of the name. Its simply a matter of time until the local owner despite being a billiomaire gets forced to give up the name by multiple billionaires who are his partners.

The morality or the issue is important but way secondary to what are the fiscal impact. In the end the money comes from the TV nets and maintaining a name some find racist (a finding of not only some native Americans, but 50 Senators, and now the US patent office).

What my GUESS is what Snyder is doing is knowing he likely is gonna be forced to give up the name he is raising the price the NFL will have to pay him to give up the name. Perhaps this price will be a Super Bowl in DC. Perhaps the price will be league concessions and support for profiting to be found in renaming the team. Perhaps it just a flat out cash payment for him.

The name is a goner. It may take years, but at best its a distraction from articles being about the game of football to instead articles being about the soap opera with the name.

A looming question is whether the Buffalo Bills should change their name?? The manner in which Buffalo Bill Cody treated native Americans and the derogatory remarks he made could spell trouble for our team. I may have reached a whole new level of being offended. Not sure what to do...can't believe my folks raised me to be a fan of this team.

Perhaps the only way to reconcile the multi-dimensional nature of Buffalo Bill's relationship with his Native American actors is under the rubric of paternalism. He cared for them quite deeply, yet felt detached from their more primitive existence. "I really think that they enjoy this sort of life," he remarked. "But they are a queer, uncivilized crowd. Watch them eat. You see they can use a knife and fork and spoon in a rude, imitative way, but when they go back home, they will be happier eating with their fingers."

"Indians are as easily controlled as children," Cody admitted, "but you must keep your promises to them to the letter. That I have always done, even many years before I employed Indians for my Wild West show" http://www.historicalinsights.com/dave/cody.html

Honestly, if they changed the team, they might make more money. Look at when the Sabres rebranded to the slug. Despite the fact that we all thought it was the ugliest thing we've ever seen. We all rushed out to buy anything we could on them and we were the best selling jerseys in the NHL for two years. If they announced that they're gonna change the name, in say, two years, once the uproar dies down, and a PR brainwashing campaign, they'll slowly come to love the rebranding.

Actually, I am in am different camp.

So you're a ranbow farting Klan member? :nana:

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

A looming question is whether the Buffalo Bills should change their name?? The manner in which Buffalo Bill Cody treated native Americans and the derogatory remarks he made could spell trouble for our team. I may have reached a whole new level of being offended. Not sure what to do...can't believe my folks raised me to be a fan of this team.

Perhaps the only way to reconcile the multi-dimensional nature of Buffalo Bill's relationship with his Native American actors is under the rubric of paternalism. He cared for them quite deeply, yet felt detached from their more primitive existence. "I really think that they enjoy this sort of life," he remarked. "But they are a queer, uncivilized crowd. Watch them eat. You see they can use a knife and fork and spoon in a rude, imitative way, but when they go back home, they will be happier eating with their fingers."

"Indians are as easily controlled as children," Cody admitted, "but you must keep your promises to them to the letter. That I have always done, even many years before I employed Indians for my Wild West show" http://www.historica.../dave/cody.html

Unless you are a Native American, nobody cares. And since Native Americans aren't offended by the team being called the Buffalo Bills, there is no issue.

Actually, I am in am different camp. I think that the only thing which is pretty much a truth in the NFL is that almost any issue is not about the morality its about the money. This has been true of items like concussions, steroids, recreational, the CBA, etc.

My guess of what Snyder is doing here is that he knows full well that this is the continuing beginning of the end for the De4adskins use of the name. Its simply a matter of time until the local owner despite being a billiomaire gets forced to give up the name by multiple billionaires who are his partners.

The morality or the issue is important but way secondary to what are the fiscal impact. In the end the money comes from the TV nets and maintaining a name some find racist (a finding of not only some native Americans, but 50 Senators, and now the US patent office).

What my GUESS is what Snyder is doing is knowing he likely is gonna be forced to give up the name he is raising the price the NFL will have to pay him to give up the name. Perhaps this price will be a Super Bowl in DC. Perhaps the price will be league concessions and support for profiting to be found in renaming the team. Perhaps it just a flat out cash payment for him.

The name is a goner. It may take years, but at best its a distraction from articles being about the game of football to instead articles being about the soap opera with the name.

This thread is a goldmine. First of all to your point, yes it's all about the money. I don't think Snyder ever really cared about the name. He's just a billionaire that bought the team. The city hates him, true skins fans hate him, and he knows it. I am of the opinion that he has been adamant about no name change because he wants to appear to be on the side of the die hards skins fans. Now that you threaten his money, however, watch his tune change real quick. He'll make it seem like his hand was forced, of course, and it was... by the threat of lost revenue.

Secondly, Real Buffalo Joe, your post if hilarious.

Last... well on second thought t's probably best if I just go ahead and stay out of the politics

While this is a "touchy" topic there was no reason for this thread to spin out of control like it did. Politics do not have to become the focus of this thread. If you cannot respond without getting political then go to PPP. I'm sure that they are offering milk and cookies to all new applicants.

:lol: It is always comical to me seeing the people that are offended by others being offended. Well.... I'm offended that you're offended that they're offended.

Imagine if the NFL had a team called the 'New York N Word', and nobody cared because 'it's tradition', or whatever the other nonsense excuse of the day was?

I don't see a difference, frankly...........

Imagine if the NFL had a team called the 'New York N Word', and nobody cared because 'it's tradition', or whatever the other nonsense excuse of the day was?

I don't see a difference, frankly...........

I agree.

While this is a "touchy" topic there was no reason for this thread to spin out of control like it did. Politics do not have to become the focus of this thread. If you cannot respond without getting political then go to PPP. I'm sure that they are offering milk and cookies to all new applicants.

We don't have milk and cookies at PPP. We eat the new applicants. Alive.

And this is much ado about nothing, for now. Redskins will appeal, and it'll take years, during which they still hold the trademarks.

Though if the measure of the appropriateness of a trademark is whether or not someone's offended by it, I can think of a LOT of other trademarks that should be stripped (yes, Nickelback, I'm looking at you.)

Why, yes! I just baked a new batch this morning... or was it in 1966? I forget.

We don't have milk and cookies at PPP. We eat the new applicants. Alive.

And this is much ado about nothing, for now. Redskins will appeal, and it'll take years, during which they still hold the trademarks.

Though if the measure of the appropriateness of a trademark is whether or not someone's offended by it, I can think of a LOT of other trademarks that should be stripped (yes, Nickelback, I'm looking at you.)

Shhhhhh!!!!! Sphere O' Beer is doing his upmost to get us some tasty new morsels and kitty toys. :ph34r: