US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

http://thinkprogress...-football-team/

The story is unclear as to what ramifications this decision has. Does this mean people can use the Redskins name and logo and the team can't stop them? Any patent attorneys care to chime in? As Dave Letterman would ask "Is this anything?"

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. Trademark office cancels Wash Redskins Trademarks. U.S. patent office says redskins

Name disparages native Americans

Is this the beginning of the end. Does this mean

With no trademark rights fans can sell there own

New Shirts with redskins logo right out side

The stadiums. Know that the redskins and nfl

Have no rights to that trademark

They would not be able to enforce anything

This might be the straw that breaks the camels

Back. I would be interested what every one else has to say.

I think the biggest effect will be on merchandising. I believe it means any Joe Schmo company can sell the team merchandise without having to kick any money to the owner of the team. We'll see how firm Snyders stance is when it hits his pocket.

I think the biggest effect will be on merchandising. I believe it means any Joe Schmo company can sell the team merchandise without having to kick any money to the owner of the team. We'll see how firm Snyders stance is when it hits his pocket.

This will hit the NFL where it really hurts....in their A$$e$

But doesn't that already go on? You can on the internet and buy tons of unlicensed stuff.

But doesn't that already go on? You can on the internet and buy tons of unlicensed stuff.

You are not supposed to. It was a big story down in New Orleans a few years back with who owns "Who Dat." http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2014/04/02/who-dat-phrase-slidell-new-orleans/7209805/ Edited by Kirby Jackson

http://thinkprogress...-football-team/

The story is unclear as to what ramifications this decision has. Does this mean people can use the Redskins name and logo and the team can't stop them? Any patent attorneys care to chime in? As Dave Letterman would ask "Is this anything?"

I believe this is only in regards to the Redskin name. So any one could create merchandise using Washington and Redskins together with the appropriate colors. However, the logo looks to be still protected and wouldn't be able to be used without breaking the Trademark / Copyright on it.

Edited by Mark80

The last appeal took 4 years to conclude, so 4 more years of Redskins... 4 more years of whining about the "disparaging" name....

America is turning very soft.... congratuations. Pretty soon, the government will tell you what you can eat, can drink, etc for X reason or someone got offended.

Glad I'm older so I don't have to spend more time in THAT America.

Edited by BmoreBills

The last appeal took 4 years to conclude, so 4 more years of Redskins... 4 more years of whining about the "disparaging" name....

America is turning very soft.... congratuations. Pretty soon, the government will tell you what you can eat, can drink, etc for X reason or someone got offended.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Well that jumped the shark.

The decision will be appealed, during the appeals process all existing protections will be enforced. The appeals process could take up to a year or more. An ACR could be filed by the government itself to hasten the process. Since the appeal will be heard by the Patent office Trial and Appeals Board, the very body that issue the initial ruling, it's very likely Snyder's next step will be to have an independent body rule on the appeal, most likely the Federal Court district. This could go to the Supreme Court, in which case, Snyder would lose his case based on equal protection. In the final analysis, this is the end.

So another team could change its name to the Redskins and there's nothing Washington can do about it. Or even all other 31 teams. Redskins @ Redskins (every game)

Not exactly what the protestors wanted !

Not a chance in hell. What's more likely is there will be cheap unlicensed product with the team name on it and if Snyder wants to protect himself he'll change the name to something he can trademark.