What if EJ Stinks or Gets Injured Again?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not according to his play last year and the glowing reports of him coming out training camp. But you guys have your vendetta/agenda so carry on.

I have absolutely zero "vendetta/agenda" regarding Jeff Tuel. None. It's a weirdly dismissive statement. But, "according to his play last year," (as well as the coaches, and anyone paying attention), Tuel was our third best QB. Out of three.

Or, if you're really going to try to convince me that Tuel, (with 44.1% completion, 1 TD, and 3 Interceptions, and a 45.1 rating), played better than Lewis, (with 60.8% completion, 5TDs, 4 int., and an 81.0 rating) last season, I'm going to suggest that perhaps it is you who has some sort of "agenda."

EJ is listed as a fantasy sleeper here by Brian Gramling (who calls the Bills offensive playbook "complicated" which flies in the face of what we hear from others) & James Quintong.

It has been reported that the playbook is complicated, now that they have given them the whole thing. They were progressive with how much they were giving him last year and then ended up dialing it back at the end of the year based on how it was being executed. This year they started out with the whole thing through OTAs, mini camp and TC and then it will start to be reduced based on each game plan. This is according to Marrone and Hackett,

most the great quarterbacks are exemplary in some way and you could almost characterize them with a word or two. Montana--cool under pressure. Young--accurate. Marino--quick release. Brady--rare mistakes. Manning--prep and smarts. Rogers--all round great. Kelly--tough.

how would you characterize EJ? I don't think he has the attitude to be great. I think he wants to be great but he doesn't realize how much it takes...the effort and time...the extreme amount of dedication and tenacity the never-give-up-ness. I wish he was a little more chippy. not cocky but more like Brady...pissed off. A little mean streak. A little more bad boy. he seems too milquetoast to be great. Wish otherwise but I don't see it.

He's like the guy who is a decent golfer...he can sometimes rip it 300 down the fairway and sometimes he sinks a long putt or makes a nice chip or sand save but he's prone to the too often snap hook or the occasional blockng it OB right.

maybe he can become a "game manager" and that would be great if he could limit mistakes and we could win with tough d and run game. I don't see us winning games because EJ plays great though.

Edited by eastonbillsfan

most the great quarterbacks are exemplary in some way and you could almost characterize them with a word or two. Montana--cool under pressure. Young--accurate. Marino--quick release. Brady--rare mistakes. Manning--prep and smarts. Rogers--all round great. Kelly--tough.

how would you characterize EJ? I don't think he has the attitude to be great. I think he wants to be great but he doesn't realize how much it takes...the effort and time...the extreme amount of dedication and tenacity the never-give-up-ness. I wish he was a little more chippy. not cocky but more like Brady...pissed off. A little mean streak. A little more bad boy. he seems too milquetoast to be great. Wish otherwise but I don't see it.

He's like the guy who is a decent golfer...he can sometimes rip it 300 down the fairway and sometimes he sinks a long putt or makes a nice chip or sand save but he's prone to the too often snap hook or the occasional blockng it OB right.

maybe he can become a "game manager" and that would be great if he could limit mistakes and we could win with tough d and run game. I don't see us winning games because EJ plays great though.

I wouldn't say milquetoast but I do hear you. I too like red ass ball players, especially in leadership roles. On the other hand I certainly don't think it's his personality that's the problem. It's the lack of consistency. In a sense that's a real problem, because iI fully expect him to look good, even very good at times, but then inevitably fall back into play beyond which he should have progressed. Amongst some observers of his college play, that was seen as a defining pattern and I don't know that it will change in a more difficult environment.

The problem is that it will only fuel more pro and EJ controversy. Whaley says that he will know if and when EJ doesn't pan out. Let's hope he never has to make that decision, but if he does, let's hope he's as good as his word and that he can.

how would you characterize EJ?

He has presence.

What makes you think he doesn't realize how much effort and time, dedication and tenacity it takes? Edited by YoloinOhio

What makes you think he doesn't realize how much effort and time, dedication and tenacity it takes?

These attributes are not in question by anyone I know. He's first in and last to leave and has been an off season fixture in the building. From attacking his re-hab to analyzing video to learning his playbook, his work ethic is beyond reproach. And while none of that may make him a franchise QB in the long run, he'd have NO chance without it.

GO BILLS!!!

These attributes are not in question by anyone I know. He's first in and last to leave and has been an off season fixture in the building. From attacking his re-hab to analyzing video to learning his playbook, his work ethic is beyond reproach. And while none of that may make him a franchise QB in the long run, he'd have NO chance without it.

GO BILLS!!!

That is why I found that comment so puzzling. Whether he puts it all together on the field remains to be seen, but everything mentioned seems to be exactly what he DOES get.

GO BILLS!!!

So is it Sammy or Knee-J who is first in last out, or r they car pooling! Kidding aside, EJ is very determined and is putting in the work, that's no question. Consistency is, but what do u expect from a rookie who missed time. Hoping the light goes completely on this season.

So is it Sammy or Knee-J who is first in last out, or r they car pooling! Kidding aside, EJ is very determined and is putting in the work, that's no question. Consistency is, but what do u expect from a rookie who missed time. Hoping the light goes completely on this season.

There will be times when the light goes on and others when we're convinced there's no bulb in there. Nature of the beast and EVERY QB goes through that during the development phase. How he deals with the pressure of screwing up will be key. He has definitely shown the ability to shake off bad starts and poor plays. When we see more of that on a consistent basis, I'll feel he's on his way. But there will be no shortage of fans having conniptions and demanding he be benched in the meantime.

GO BILLS!!!

There will be times when the light goes on and others when we're convinced there's no bulb in there. Nature of the beast and EVERY QB goes through that during the development phase. How he deals with the pressure of screwing up will be key. He has definitely shown the ability to shake off bad starts and poor plays. When we see more of that on a consistent basis, I'll feel he's on his way. But there will be no shortage of fans having conniptions and demanding he be benched in the meantime.

GO BILLS!!!

YUP, I think he handles the pressure of failing quite well. People will complain about this also. He seems cool as a cucumber when he F's up and doesn't show a lot of emotion. To some this is a good sign that he is mature and can let things go quickly. While others will say he has no desire to win or doesn't care ect. Personally i see a lot of good in EJ and hope he continues to progress. Especially seeing the field better and get that passing game going. The running game will be the greatest benefit and we have the horses to dominate in the running game. (the line is looking better as well)

Hopefully they are car pooling because the more they practice together, the better!

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah but, even if true, that's not the point.

Coming in 5 mins before me and leaving 5 mins after does not show dedication. Rather, it shows you know you are the QB and that's what people expect to see.

Refusing to leave until you get it right. Then practicing it until you cannot get it wrong. Then demanding (by example or by mouth) that the others around you do the same. THIS is what its about.

I'm not saying EJ is a slacker or is dogging it or is faking it. No way. But EJ doesnt seem to have that fire to be the best-QB-ever. Without that, first-in and last-out is nothing more than punching a clock.

Edited by maddenboy

Coming in 5 mins before me and leaving 5 mins after does not show dedication. Rather, it shows you know you are the QB and that's what people expect to see.

Refusing to leave until you get it right. Then practicing it until you cannot get it wrong. Then demanding (by example or by mouth) that the others around you do the same. THIS is what its about.

I'm not saying EJ is a slacker or is dogging it or is faking it. No way. But EJ doesnt seem to have that fire to be the best-QB-ever. Without that, first-in and last-out is nothing more than punching a clock.

What leads you to think this? Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah, that Joe Montana was a screamer! Couldn't calm him down. It think his nickname was Joe Ahole or something like that. :)

For some reason, folks think there is only one way that works. Like a coach needs to yell a lot to be a good leader. Maybe EJ could shove his teammates from behind like that fired up Jay Cutler? Or he could scream at people until he turned purple like Dan Marino? I'm sure his teammates loved him.

Let's give the guy more than a year before we say what type of QB he will be.

Yeah, that Joe Montana was a screamer! Couldn't calm him down. It think his nickname was Joe Ahole or something like that. :)

For some reason, folks think there is only one way that works. Like a coach needs to yell a lot to be a good leader. Maybe EJ could shove his teammates from behind like that fired up Jay Cutler? Or he could scream at people until he turned purple like Dan Marino? I'm sure his teammates loved him.

Let's give the guy more than a year before we say what type of QB he will be.

I agree with this. I think we should all take a breath, and let EJ have at least until his second year starts before we demand a veteran presence from him. :D

I would like to see more urgency from EJ, but am far from writing him off or being upset with him, especially regarding anything but his play on the field.